It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post subject: Re: New Strings For My Jazz!
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:07 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mr. Nylon wrote:
One string comes to mind, Nylons.

No! Say It Ain't So!

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

linnin wrote:
Mr. Nylon wrote:

No! Say It Ain't So!

Oh yeah,........! What's up guy? How have you been doing?

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mr. Nylon wrote:
linnin wrote:
Mr. Nylon wrote:

No! Say It Ain't So!

Oh yeah,........! What's up guy? How have you been doing?

I've been doing way better than expected. Have lost 40 pounds on my way down to an ideal weight of 175. I'm getting close as I just broke through 180. Cardio check up last month was excellent, and I no longer have to go back to the Cardio clinic. Have been jamming a bit with a few friends, but nothing serious. Thanks for asking. Hope everything is well with you too.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:27 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I've been dropping a bit of girth as well. If you believe what some of my Doctors say, I have one foot in the grave, and another on a banana peel. But I'm still trucking around ok.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:21 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Fodera Anthony Jacksons are my go to strings. I dig the exposed core and through body stringing given that they are designed for long scale basses they fit perfectly.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:28 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Rev J wrote:
Fodera Anthony Jacksons are my go to strings. I dig the exposed core and through body stringing given that they are designed for long scale basses they fit perfectly.

C/S,
Rev J

One of the great things about modern American Fender basses is that you can string though the body or the bridge or both at the same time! So I did that as an experiment. I ran E & A through the bridge and then D & G through the body. I found no difference in tone or sustain. I tried it again with the next string set alternating strings: E & D through the bridge and A & G through the body. Again no discernable difference in tone or sustain. I have decided for myself that I much prefer the more gentle breakover angle and straighter string pull of through bridge (top load) stringing. There is also less chance of string twisting in top loading/through bridge stringing than body through. I also think your strings last longer top loaded with a more gentle breakover angle across the bridge saddle. This is my personal observation over the past seven years. Before 2012 all my basses were bridge through only just like all Fender basses were after 1957.

With exposed core designs it doesn't matter which way you go as the unwound core doesn't 'care' about the breakover angle which is also true of taper wounds (which is exactly why they are taper wound). Going through the body takes up a lot of the unwound exposed length of the core before it crosses the bridge saddle and may be the preferred method. That type of string design doesn't appeal to me or my style. To each their own.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:56 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Here's My 30 Day Review:
I went ahead and strung my American Standard Jazz in the light 40-56-76-101 4L-NB set of GHS Balanced Nickels about a month ago. They suit the slim Jazz neck well. I tweaked the setup to the newly lowered tension, as I like to keep exactly 12 thousandths of an inch neck relief because I demand a clean playing action. Total set tension is 172.3 pounds with an average string tension of 43.075 pounds. No single string is more than a half pound away from the average. That in itself is just incredible. You can sure tell the evenness when you play. They are not floppy in any way. As a general rule I am not a fan of light strings, and it took some getting used to the skinny 0.040 G string vs the medium 0.044. You wouldn't think four thousandths of an inch would make that much difference, but it does on the small diameter G. Not so much on the D. Not at all on the A & E. So new learning for this old bass player. Total sound; tone, and volume are all excellently balanced as we have come to know; love, and expect. Nice smooth even windings are the best in the string winding universe. Just great overall feel with good flexibility (for me at least).
As most of you know I do not like super high end 'sizzle' (I'm being polite here). From the low highs on down to the very bottom of the low end these strings just rock or in this case, jazz. All the mids you could possibly ask for are available in abundance. There is a subtle darkness to the overall tone that is very pleasing to my ear. Plus it is such a piece of cake to EQ your amp with these strings. It's all just right there in your face and in your ear. A pure pleasure.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's a good report on those strings.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:20 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, that does sound pretty good. 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:24 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

What about "Microscopically thin, moisture-repellent coating " ?
Anyone tried those?

Go to page Previous  1, 2