It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Squier Vintage Modified '77 Jazz Bass - Updated Specs??
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:50 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I used to own a black Squier VM '77 bass (c. 2011, I believe) and it was awesome. I eventually sold it because I obtained an American Standard Jazz Bass and thought I didn't need to keep the Squier anymore (big mistake...)

I recently looked for a new VM77 and realized that they now have "vintage-tinted" gloss necks as opposed to the one I had, which had an unfinished neck. There appear to be several new updates. When did these updates take place and what are the consensus opinions on the updates? I'm curious if people like the new pickups as opposed to the previous Duncan Designed pickups which I really liked.

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: Squier Vintage Modified '77 Jazz Bass - Updated Specs??
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Well, they did introduce a couple more finishes to that series a couple of years ago (don't remember the exact year, but it was probably around 3 years ago, give or take,) so maybe they did that then. Personally, I never had any experience with this bass, with the exception it looks pretty identical to an actual Fender '77 Jazz that I had almost 30 years ago, with a few missing pieces, like a thumb rest, and pick up covers. Although, I did almost get one, but I wound up getting a Squier Vintage Modified Precision PJ bass, instead, since it was on discount, and $100 cheaper than the Jazz.