It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
Author Message
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
I think they were Gibson tapewounds. Back then they really did gave black tape wrapped around the strings.
No,..... Charlie Katz. The owner of MAE. 1969 Was my first set of tapewounds.

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 20054
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Weren't they like a dark blue color, as well? I remember seeing some set from the 60's that looked like that, I think.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:23 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
PaulLF wrote:
Weren't they like a dark blue color, as well? I remember seeing some set from the 60's that looked like that, I think.


I think these were black. At least the tape wrapped around the strings was black. And in a short time, began to unravel, and peel off of the strings.

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:47 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 20054
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
I think maybe it was the Rotosound ones that were a blueish color. I'd actually like to see the process of making those. I should see if there are any videos around. I've seen regular strings being made on a machine, but not those.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:05 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
I don't think I ever saw Nylons being made either.

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:01 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 20054
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Yeah, I've just read a brief description of the process, or what they are.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:43 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, I've just read a brief description of the process, or what they are.


I'll have to check that out myself.

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:37 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 20054
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Well, I looked, and unless I was going about the search wrong, which is quite possible, the only thing I've found was shootout video involving those type of strings, either between the type itself, or versus another one, like flats.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:22 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
PaulLF wrote:
Well, I looked, and unless I was going about the search wrong, which is quite possible, the only thing I've found was shootout video involving those type of strings, either between the type itself, or versus another one, like flats.


I wouldn't really know where to start on the search making of Nylon bass strings myself.

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 20054
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
I guess from what I understand, they just take this nylon tape and wrap it around regular strings. I think some companies use rounds, and others use flats for the strings. I suppose there would be some tonal differences between the two types.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:34 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
PaulLF wrote:
I guess from what I understand, they just take this nylon tape and wrap it around regular strings. I think some companies use rounds, and others use flats for the strings. I suppose there would be some tonal differences between the two types.


However it's applied to the string, the it's ground round, and polished smooth. I keep saying it, and it's so true. I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning with this EB-0. And the Rumble 100 just tops everything off.

Image

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 am
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 20054
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
Speaking of those nylons, I've noticed that La Bella puts out different types and/or limited editions of their nylons, besides black or white ones, with different stripe patterns and things on them. I'm assuming they probably would cost more than the regular ones, though. Still, if you want to change things up a bit, or be fancy, or whatever.

That is a nice rig you got going on, and that's certainly going to be easy to move when you do. By the way, I forget if you had mentioned it previously, or showed it, but do you have a case for that, or a gig bag? I remember you getting a case for something not that long ago, but I can't remember if it was this bass, or not.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
PaulLF wrote:
Speaking of those nylons, I've noticed that La Bella puts out different types and/or limited editions of their nylons, besides black or white ones, with different stripe patterns and things on them. I'm assuming they probably would cost more than the regular ones, though. Still, if you want to change things up a bit, or be fancy, or whatever.

That is a nice rig you got going on, and that's certainly going to be easy to move when you do. By the way, I forget if you had mentioned it previously, or showed it, but do you have a case for that, or a gig bag? I remember you getting a case for something not that long ago, but I can't remember if it was this bass, or not.


This is probably the most road friendly setup I've had for a long time.
La Bella strings are good. I just stay with the D'Addario Nylons because they've played well for me, and their customer service is tops.
I ordered a Viola case, in the past, but I have this one from the EB-3. The Epi EB-0, and EB-3 use the same Epi case.

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am
Posts: 20054
Location: On the loo, regretting that gas station burrito.
OK, I remember the Viola case. That was the bass before this one, wasn't it? The one thing I do know about D'Addario, is their availability everywhere. I don't think there isn't a place that doesn't carry them, or if not, very few.

_________________
Image


Top
Profile
Post subject: Re: Bass Amp: if not a Fender, what do you use?
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:02 pm
Offline
Rock Icon
Rock Icon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 18089
Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
PaulLF wrote:
OK, I remember the Viola case. That was the bass before this one, wasn't it? The one thing I do know about D'Addario, is their availability everywhere. I don't think there isn't a place that doesn't carry them, or if not, very few.


Yeah, the Viola was the bass before the EB-0.
The reason I went with the D'Addario Nylons, I used the D'Addario Flats, and liked the way they played. So it just worked out fine with the D'Addario Nylons fitting into a standard size nut as well as they do. I do like the feel of their Nylons, and of course the sounds I get from them.

_________________
"Electric Lady"
Image


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: