It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post subject: Re: Epiphone Viola
Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:29 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
The Epi Viola also, is a close resemblance to the original EKO, "Electric Lady". That was a nice playing bass. Being honest about it, the EKO didn't sound as good as the Epi Viola does. And I still thought that was one of my more favorite basses over the years. The Viola's playing angle is more of a natural fit for me. My left wrist is less bent to reach around, and my left arm has less of a reach to get to the fretboard. I do like the SG body style, but the EKO Style Bass had my attention before that.
I played a lot of Mountain with it today. Sweet tones Paul. I sounded somewhat like Felix's EB-1 through a nice amp. The HD75, I think sounds better than the Markbass I played the Epi through, the first time around. The same bass, different Combo Amp with a single 12.

Fender Play November 2019
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:30 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sounds great then. 8) Was the Eko the same size body as the Epiphone, or the same dimensions, you'd say?

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:45 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Sounds great then. 8) Was the Eko the same size body as the Epiphone, or the same dimensions, you'd say?

If not the same very close. The Epi is so balanced. It hangs level, with no neck dive. It's one of the smoothest playing, and sounding basses. The HD75 is right there with it as well. It's working out great that I got the EB-3 out of my system, so to speak. The SG body has always been cool, bu the necks haven't always been my friend. With the last little bit of adjustment to this ones neck, BINGO! I sleep better at night now.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's great you were able to get that neck adjusted like that. You think if you could have had it fixed earlier on, you would have gotten rid of it when you did?

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:18 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
That's great you were able to get that neck adjusted like that. You think if you could have had it fixed earlier on, you would have gotten rid of it when you did?

No I wouldn't have. Ben is a pretty well renown luthier. I won't mention any names for some of the guitarist he's done work for. He definitely knows more than the other friend, that didn't understand the issue with it the first time around.

The title, "Electric Lady", is 50 years old, from 1969. And here I am with another Viola Bass, with Nylon strings. Also using a Combo Amp with a 12' driver. EKO too Epiphone. Ironic at best, but I'm not complaining. I love it.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:29 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sometimes, things come around in circles. Would you say the amp you have now was as powerful as the one back then?

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Sometimes, things come around in circles. Would you say the amp you have now was as powerful as the one back then?

Come to think of it, it probably was. I don't remember the power of the Kent Combo, but it was a 2X12, tube Combo. I can say it didn't sound as good as the Hartke does.

The difference between the EKO, and the Epi, it's hard to tell with different amps, strings, and fond memories that get in realities way. One thing I can say about the two, EKO, and Epi are spelled differently. Image

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'd have to do some serious digging on the internet to even find anything about Kent amps. I remember they made guitars and basses, which is what first popped up when I typed that in out of curiosity. I'm sure the Hartke is a lot better suited for bass projection, especially with the speaker alone, unless you stick some of those Hartke speakers in one of those Kent combos. That would be a Frankenstein's monster, wouldn't it? :P

Yeah, that's the thing about remembering stuff. Sometimes nostalgia paints a different picture, although I've understood Eko guitars were pretty well made for the most part, and highly collectible. They are still in business, by the way, but I don't know what they are making these days. I haven't checked them out in a while.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:06 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, you're so Right On about nostalgia. It can cloud the reality of memories for sure. At one time, the EKO was considered a better bass than the Hofner. It would be interesting to have a 1969 EKO 995 with the ETB92M Nylons, compared to the current 2018 Epi Viola I have now. If I do a reality check of myself, as much as the EKO "Electric Lady" meant to me, the Humbuckings on the Epi "Electric Lady", have more clarity, and definitely more power. As far as the agronomics between the two, I'd have to have them side by side for that.
I don't remember how the Rosewood fretboard on the EKO looked, but I sure do love the looks of today's "Electric Lady".

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:29 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It's possible to still be able to find one of those old Eko basses, but it's probably like trying to find other vintage gear, especially if there wasn't a ton of it around, and you have to factor in price and condition. I'm actually curious if there are any for sale online somewhere. I suspect a lot of them would be over in Europe, where they were prevalent, from what I've read about them. They were made in Italy to begin with. That would be interesting to see to compare, though.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:31 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It sure would be interesting. And as you just said, the EKO was Italian manufactured. I'm almost thinking the EKO 995 body was just a bit bigger up on the upper section of it, than the Epi Viola is.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:20 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I found a website page about that model. I've been here before, and they cover all kinds of stuff from that era. https://www.fetishguitars.com/eko/eko-995395/ I've actually seen a green model of one of those in a music shop when I first started playing bass. I remember it from that weird headstock scroll. I didn't play on it, because I was a total newb at the time, so I was kind of apprehensive on playing on a lot of stuff at that point in time.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:57 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The EKO had the distinctive rolled head with the trademark "E". It was a quality bass for its time.

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, they are quite collectible, from what I've understood, or they don't sell for cheap, if you can find one. I think they have reissued it at some point or another, but I don't know what's up with that. I haven't checked it out in a long time.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, they are quite collectible, from what I've understood, or they don't sell for cheap, if you can find one. I think they have reissued it at some point or another, but I don't know what's up with that. I haven't checked it out in a long time.

The EKO was in my past, so now I'm liking the hell out of the new day "Electric Lady".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next