It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
Post subject: Re: Epiphone Viola
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
Some did, and some didn't. Gibson was a bit inconsistent with things like that. I don't know why, that was just Gibson back then. It could've been at the time when Gibson was being taken over by a new owner group too. New owner groups seem to have their own agendas, to make things better. YEAH,........................................

I do like what Epi has done with the Epi EB-3 however. The ETB92 Nylons play super fine on it.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Epiphone EB-3
Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:12 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You took the ones you had on the Jazz off and put them on there, or you got new ones?

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
You took the ones you had on the Jazz off and put them on there, or you got new ones?

I just took them off the Player Jazz, and strung them on the Epi EB-3. The A string was the only one of the four that the winding silk stretched a bit length wise, because the the tuning peg on the EB-3's head design, puts the A winding peg up a bit higher than the Fender head design. It wrapped 1,3/4 way around the tuning peg, instead of twice around. I've seen factory strung basses that were just about right at once around the peg. So that was ok with me, close enough to twice around. The Humbuckings sound incredible with the ETB92's onboard.

A little trick I picked up years ago with a Rosewood fretboard to keep the frets shinny, take a polishing cloth, and get it flat between the strings, and the fretboard. Then just start at the base of the neck, and polish up, and back down. Like the old way of polishing shoes, except you're polishing the frets. It helps the Rosewood too. I do it with the EB-3, and it looks good as all get out!

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:44 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

How many times do you typically recycle a set of strings, if you get new basses, or you even change them out in the first place?

That sounds like a good trick. I'm actually really bad about polishing instruments. I probably should do that more often than hardly ever, but I guess I just don't think about it unless I have to do it. :roll:

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
How many times do you typically recycle a set of strings, if you get new basses, or you even change them out in the first place?

That sounds like a good trick. I'm actually really bad about polishing instruments. I probably should do that more often than hardly ever, but I guess I just don't think about it unless I have to do it. :roll:

It only takes a minute to do before being finished playing for that time. I've showed that to so many players, and they were agreeable to it. It does help out the Rosewood a bit too. I'm kinda' a PITA about wiping a bass down before I get it into the case anyway. Nothing new, I always have been like that. I did it for others, so why not mine. :roll:

It depended on the bass they were coming off of, to start with. The Am. Std.'s bridge saddles tore up the A, D, and E strings because of the severe angle of the string going through the body. If they were a straight through top, and the head design was agreeable, I reused them on the new bass. But a fair amount of the time, things didn't match up. This one did fit ok though, like said about the A string being the only one that I was concerned about silk end being long enough to wrap around the peg.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:45 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, it is a good practice to get into, even though I don't do it like I should. :roll: I don't even have a cloth to do that with. Maybe I should.

I know what you mean about those bridges doing that, especially basses that you string through the body with that really bend the crap out of the strings. I've been on the fence about that particular design over the years.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:46 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, it is a good practice to get into, even though I don't do it like I should. :roll: I don't even have a cloth to do that with. Maybe I should.

I know what you mean about those bridges doing that, especially basses that you string through the body with that really bend the crap out of the strings. I've been on the fence about that particular design over the years.

Absolutely right about the bridge design we're talking about.

I would think even a silicone gun, and rod clothe would be good to use, and help a bit more on the conditioning of the Rosewood as well.

While we're on the Epiphone side of town here, I looked up on the GC site, to see if they still had my Epi Viola in stock. They do. It's there with the ETB92M Nylons still on it.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:44 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I've always liked the Bad A s s II bridge, as far as that goes, but I guess they are no longer in business, so whatever equivalent these days would have to do. I'm not currently in a market for a bridge right now, anyway.

That butcher block stuff I used on my fretboards when I had to file the fret ends down seemed to do a nice job with conditioning them, so I suppose in a way, that's probably helped them quite a bit, even though I don't have a tendency to wipe them down like I should. I don't know how long that stuff even lasts on there before you'd have to do it again, though. It wasn't really meant for it in the first place, but it worked.

That's interesting that they still have your Viola bass. I don't blame you for not changing the strings back on it, since that bridge is a pain in the arse to mess with. You know, I don't know if I could replace my violin bass with another hollow body that I'd go for the Viola, or not. I'm sure it's a lot nicer model, but I think I'd might go with (if going with Epiphone) the Allen Woody Rumblekat, or the Jack Casady model. They are both semi hollow body, so they aren't full hollow body like the Viola, but the same time they have a lot more better bridge setup on them. I guess that's the trade off, since it's not exactly the same tone, but it's a lot more stable. The Allen Woody is also a short scale, and not as heavy as the Jack Casady. It might be closer to the Viola in that aspect, but that Jack Casady bass is really cool, I think.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm not having any issues with the current 3- point Gibson style bridge, but if I wanted, or needed to change it out, I would use the Babicz bridge. Bad As s es have been out of business for a few years now. Too bad, they were a nice bridge.

At times woods, can be similar, and those treatments work on several. When cutting boards, bowls, etc. were made in wood shop, Olive Oil was used to treat the wood. Mahogany, walnut, American pine, woods like that. I'd think Rosewood, and maybe Pau Ferro would appreciate it also. I'm not sure about Cherry, or Ebony though. Teak, hickory, and ash are probably too hard of a grain for it.

All in all, I like the way the guitar wipe cloth works.

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm sure the Gibson bridges work better than the wooden bridges that are on the hollow body basses, no matter what they are. Although, the one thing about those wooden bridges is that they do contribute to the overall tonality of the bass for that sound. I have noticed that, but that's about all they are good for, I think.

I'm not sure what type of oil the stuff I have is, other than it's food safe, because it's meant for butcher blocks. I'd have to look it up again to see. It's pretty intense stuff, though. I leave it on overnight, then buff it out the next day to remove the excess and it's fine. It certainly removed any scuff marks from sanding, and it makes the fret board look new.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:13 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'd like to apply a substance that could be removed a few minutes after rubbing into the surface. That way the wood wouldn't get too saturated with it. At times over applications of fluids on a wood surface can be worse to it then no treatments at all.

I'd stay with wooden bridges on hollow body basses, original if possible.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The stuff that I used seems to be safe, since it is also designed to rejuvenate dried out wood. I probably won't reapply it again, unless I have to file the fret end again, for whatever reason. I know what you mean, though. I might down the road get some guitar specific stuff, or at least try to make a point of polishing them up with some sort of cloth.

Yeah, I don't plan on messing with that bridge. I am sort of dreading the day I have to change strings, though. That was a huge pain in the arse. :roll:

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:27 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
The stuff that I used seems to be safe, since it is also designed to rejuvenate dried out wood. I probably won't reapply it again, unless I have to file the fret end again, for whatever reason. I know what you mean, though. I might down the road get some guitar specific stuff, or at least try to make a point of polishing them up with some sort of cloth.

Yeah, I don't plan on messing with that bridge. I am sort of dreading the day I have to change strings, though. That was a huge pain in the arse. :roll:

Image Changing out strings really is something I really like doing anymore. I just take my time doing it. I found out, at least for myself over the years, if I got into too much of a hurry, or a panic mode, that's when it took longer with more mistakes. I'm a bit too perfect when it comes to getting the string balls set in place.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:31 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Mr. Nylon wrote:
PaulLF wrote:

Image Changing out strings really is something I really like doing anymore. I just take my time doing it. I found out, at least for myself over the years, if I got into too much of a hurry, or a panic mode, that's when it took longer with more mistakes. I'm a bit too perfect when it comes to getting the string balls set in place.

The EB-3 is one of the easier bridge designs to restring on though. As compared to those pesky Violin bridges. They can be a PITA!!! On the EB-3 bridge, the string ball just hooks under the hook area. Better than having to string them through a string hole in the bridge, for each string.

Last edited by Mr. Nylon on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:08 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, they look like they are a nice bridge to work with. Is there a huge difference between them and your typical Fender type bridge? I've never had any bass that had one of those on them. They've always been Fender type bridges, even when they aren't actual Fenders.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next