It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Post subject: Re: Fender Player Jazz
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:41 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds".......
PaulLF wrote:
Sounds good. 8) You can't go wrong with a good Jazz, anyway. Good you got a deal on it.

Yeah,..... me too. I do like the MIM Fenders. They are in my opinion, made well for a production line bass. Hell, Rickenbackers are a production line bass. One guy doesn't start the process of creating a 4003 from start to finish. No matter how much a guitar in general costs, there is always the possibility of an issue. The MIM Fenders do fine for a decent buck. They do also offer some interesting finishes on the MIM models. Some of the nicer models are MIM only.

Fender Play April 2019
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

They've certainly seemed to have improved over the past decade or so. I do miss when you could get them for $400 new, which is about what a top end Squier costs now, but that was over 10 years ago, and if you adjust for inflation, probably about the same price. I remember they used to run rebate deals on stuff over the summer. You'd get $50 or $100 off, depending on what you bought. I think the last time they did that was with the 2nd Generation Rumbles were out.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I went on the Fender site, and didn't see the Roger Waters Precision listed. Unless I missed it somehow. That is, or was one of the first really nice MIM's for a higher price. The MIM QC, is fine, I think anyway.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I looked as well, after I read this, and it looks like it's gone. I guess they finally discontinued it for whatever reason. As far as I know, he still plays one, and has played a Precision since the 70's. That was a pretty cool bass, too. Didn't you have one at one point or another?

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:36 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
I looked as well, after I read this, and it looks like it's gone. I guess they finally discontinued it for whatever reason. As far as I know, he still plays one, and has played a Precision since the 70's. That was a pretty cool bass, too. Didn't you have one at one point or another?

Yes I did. It was a fine Precision. The pup was the Precision Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder if I remember correctly. Fantastic sound, with a brass nut also. But it was the older style 1.75" nut, a bit too wide for smaller hands, and fingers. If it's discontinued, that's a shame.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

This is a real killer waiting till Monday, to pick up the Player Jazz. I know that the ETB92 Nylons are going to be strung on it. But the PG is up in the air, until I get it home to see which PG matches up the best with the Buttercream / Maple.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:24 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Well, a black pickguard would look kinda cool with the buttercream/maple combo.

Tortoiseshell is also under consideration.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Mr. Nylon wrote:
PaulLF wrote:

Yes I did. It was a fine Precision. The pup was the Precision Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder if I remember correctly. Fantastic sound, with a brass nut also. But it was the older style 1.75" nut, a bit too wide for smaller hands, and fingers. If it's discontinued, that's a shame.

Yeah, that would be. It's funny, every time I've watched a Pink Floyd video, especially "Live At Pompeii," and the track, "Echoes," I always get GAS for a Precision Bass. :P I guess it's because it's really prominent there. I've also listened back to a track I played on with the Squier P Bass I had, and it sounded really good on it. If I didn't get into the violin bass at the time, I probably would have held onto it, but it was too weird going from one neck extreme to another, at the time. :roll: I think I'd be better used to it now, though. I've adapted to going from the long scale basses I have to the violin, and the Ibanez short scale.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

chromeface wrote:
Well, a black pickguard would look kinda cool with the buttercream/maple combo.

Tortoiseshell is also under consideration.

That's an idea. 8)

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The four PG's in the running for the Buttercream Jazz ,.......... Black, White, Black Moto, and a Brownish tint Tort. Right now, I'm thinking either the Black Moto, or the Brownish tint Tort.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I suppose you could just lay it against the body to see what it looks like, instead of installing it at first. You think that would work?

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:51 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
I suppose you could just lay it against the body to see what it looks like, instead of installing it at first. You think that would work?

That's what I somewhat always do. While the original PG is still in place, I slid the perspective one over top of the one in place. Then just give it a light push down into place so the pups come through the openings on the PG. It's not too bad of a way to see what is, or isn't an ok look.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:38 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, and that way you don't have to mess with the screws. I've noticed the less you have to deal with smaller screws, the better, since they do have a tendency to strip, and that's not good. That's why I left the truss rod cover off of my violin bass, because I've had to adjust it a couple of times, because of the climate, I think, and probably the nature of the instrument. It was a little tricky getting those tiny screws off of it the first time, without them stripping out, so I didn't want to push my luck. Sure, it doesn't look as nice, but it would be worse if the screws strip on it while being on the bass, and I couldn't get access to the truss rod.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:23 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

A really good point about the small type of screws stripping out the wood.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:30 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, they don't seem to be the strongest screws that hold up to that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next