It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Post subject: Re: Ric 4003 Jetglo
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds".......
PaulLF wrote:
Mr. Nylon wrote:
PaulLF wrote:
Mr. Nylon wrote:
Your pups, and strings may not play well with the Orange on the Violin. Who knows. A hollow body bass may not in general play well with that particular Orange Bass amp model.

Yeah, there is that factor, although, it does sound good through the Fender amp, but maybe the Fender has more fidelity, if that is the right description for that. Also, that was a cheap bass that cost me $100, so I doubt I'm going to have the same sonic quality as I might with a $2000 Hofner, or I'd certainly hope so. I guess when I eventually play the Ibanez through it, then I can really see how it does.

The model of your Orange, may be more suited for flat our power, and not the tone qualities your Fender is able to put out. It may not have anything to do with what bass is run through it at lower volumes.

The one thing I've noticed that Orange seems to cater to is your hard rock, or actually more so heavy metal kind of genre, with their typical endorsements and videos, but that's usually a lot of guitar stuff, more than bass, and the bass stuff is they are all about the overdrive/distortion sound with their amps, including this one. It's not exactly something catering to your jazz type tones, or you'd want to run an upright bass through, although, I suppose you could. I can get a pretty clean tone out of it by keeping the gain low, but any overdrive isn't what's bothering me with the violin bass, it's more of a clarity thing, not midrange cloudiness, if that makes sense. You do have a point about it, though. Like I've said, I'll see how it does with the Ibanez, since that does have a P and J pickup configuration on it, and a brighter tone, which I've noticed with the Fender amp, using the same settings that were set for the violin bass.

Some or maybe a lot of the sounds from all of your basses, and amps, will probably come down to your ears, and personal preferences. Like a lot of other things, cameras, instruments, firearms etc., personal preferences somewhat rule the roost.

Fender Play December 2018
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:26 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's true. It's not often a one size fits all thing. Although, I have noticed a few things you can get more mileage out of. The Fender amp seems to be one of those things, at least with my purposes.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:08 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
That's true. It's not often a one size fits all thing. Although, I have noticed a few things you can get more mileage out of. The Fender amp seems to be one of those things, at least with my purposes.

I really have to give the devil his due, Fender amps are probably the most versatile amps going. If I wasn't doing so well with the Hartke stuff, I'd choose a Fender amp again.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:31 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I did try to sell the Orange a couple of times in an attempt to get funds to get a Fender amp of one sort or the other.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
Yeah, I did try to sell the Orange a couple of times in an attempt to get funds to get a Fender amp of one sort or the other.

The Orange may be the head to sacrifice just to clear it to use to get toward a Fender. I know it's a pain to not get much for a head, but some times it's better than being stuck with it.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:54 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I can sell it enough to buy something like the Rumble 500 combo, but not the Stage 800 one, unless it was a special that was discounted enough, like open box, or scratch and dent. The problem is actually getting someone to even buy it in the first place. I'd wish they'd come out with a head version of the Stage 800, which of course, would be a lot cheaper. That would even be better, I think.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:40 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Myself, I'd get whatever I could from the Orange, and move on, or hang on to the bucks from it, and see what happens in the future with the Fender amps. You do what you have to do, just my 2 cents.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I don't know. I guess I'll really know for sure when I eventually start playing the Ibanez through it and see how it sounds. Besides that, it's actually a decent amp, for the size, weight, and power. It does have those things going for it, that's for sure.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
I don't know. I guess I'll really know for sure when I eventually start playing the Ibanez through it and see how it sounds. Besides that, it's actually a decent amp, for the size, weight, and power. It does have those things going for it, that's for sure.

That can make the Orange tougher to decide to part with it, or not.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I really have to decided between the pluses and minuses, then also factor in the possibility that even if I could sell the Orange, I might wind up regretting it by getting something that won't work out in the long run, like I'd think it could. I've made that mistake before, and actually wound up with no amp at all for several years because of it. I don't want to get screwed again like that, although technically I wouldn't because I do have a backup amp, and I can sell the Orange for a profit, because of the deal I did get with it. I wouldn't be able to do that with anything I was able to replace it with, though. I've been going round and round with this crap, I guess. :roll:

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Amps really be a pain for sure. Lucky for me, I don't rely on one for gigs.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That's true, that's one less hassle you have to deal with. That's the one thing the Orange does really have going for it, portability and power for gigs. That's something that would be hard to give up, simply for the reason that it doesn't play nice with the violin bass as I'd like it to. I do have to look at the big picture, and not give in into any sort of GAS, as hard as that may be. :roll: Besides, it might sound really good with the Ibanez, and I won't have to worry about it. Like I've said, I'll find out eventually.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:48 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Honestly, when gear is used in a live session, the sound isn't as critical as it is if using it in a recording session. Amps used for arena type playing, vary from amps used for recordings. It's not that unusual to have one type used for each. One amp doesn't always fill the bill. Your Orange in all probability, will be the live amp. Your Fender for finer uses, small venues, recordings, etc. It sounds pretty much like your amps are set to go. Just my opinion for now, your amps seem to be OK. :mrgreen:
If I needed a live big venue amp, for me the Fender Super Bassman would be my personal choice. But with the tone qualities a Fender amp puts out, you almost can't go wrong with a Fender amp for anything.
I like the Hartke TX600 because, it gives me 450 watts out of the 8 ohm 500 watts, HD210 cab. I almost thought about going back with a Bassman 800, but it's about double the cash of the TX600.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:08 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, the Orange is strictly a live amp, because I have no way of running it without muting the speaker, because there isn't a headphone jack, and that would be problematic with the recording setup in the house. If I had a live room to where you could mic it up and blast away, that would be a different story, if I wanted to use it for that. At least with the Fender, it does have a headphone jack, so I can (and have, before I got the MXR pedal) just plug in a patch cable into it, and it would mute the speakers, and I'd record through it using either the DI or the return from the effects loop as a line out. The Fender can also hang as a live amp, although I like the stack concept for that with the 4 x 10" cab, since I think the more speakers, the better for that.

Speaking of recording, I posted a Christmas song that I did with my girlfriend, on the Lounge forum in which I recorded the bass using some sort of computer plug in with a cab simulator in the DAW, and I have to say it sounds pretty damned good. I did try to use the MXR Bass Preamp, but we were having a problem with it to where the signal was crapping out. I'm not sure if it was the pedal or something else, since I didn't mess with the pedal since then, which I should do. That would suck if that pedal crapped the bed, since I do also use it with the violin bass through the Orange. If so, then I'll have to get something else. There's plenty of bass DI/preamps out there, including an Ampeg, which I could use for recording and with the Orange, if need be.

I know what you mean about the Fender Super Bassman, or the Bassman 800 heads. They seem to be great amps, but you have to sell a kidney to get one. :P I would say, they would pair rather nicely with the Fender 4 x 10" cab I have, but $$$. :roll:

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:45 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Image I'll have to check out your recording.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next