It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Age of my Squier?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:23 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

There is a chart on the fender website to estimate the era your fender is from, but I can't find a way to lookup the age of my squier. Is there any site or database that can help with that sorta' thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:56 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

If the serial number starts in IC or CY usually the first 2 numbers are the year. Other than than, I am not too sure of the other prefixes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:40 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

This info has been on many different forums.

Here is a copy - I didn't write this - YMMV.

=========

Pre-1996 dating is approximate.

Japanese Squiers:

For Japanese serial number dating see Fenders site.
The Japanese MIJ Squiers were made by FujiGen up to 1997 and the Japanese CIJ Squiers were made by Tokai and Dyna from 1997.

Mexican Squiers:

M stands for Mexico, the second character refers to the decade: N represents Nineties (1990's). And the first number following is the year. So, for example "MN8" = made by Fender at Ensenada Mexico in 1998.

USA Squiers:

USA Squires are very rare and usually have a E serial number and were made for less than a year spanning 1989 and 1990.

Korean Squiers:

C refers to Cort, V refers to Saehan(Sunghan), S was already taken by Samick so Saehan(Sunghan) used V instead (Saehan(Sunghan) made the Vester guitars). Those made by Cort are the most desirable. The second character refers to the decade: N represents Nineties (1990's). And the first number following is the year. So, for example "CN6" = made by Cort in 1996 and "VN6" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1996.

Exceptions:

Pro-Tone Series (solid ash bodies) had serial numbers with either a) no preceding letters and 7 digits, with the first number being the year, or b) starting with KC for Korean Cort, followed by 2-digit year.

Stagemaster Deluxe (neck-thru maple necks with basswood wings), and the Double Fat Tele Deluxe (all solid mahogany with set necks), with serial numbers starting with KC for Korean Cort, followed by 2-digit year.

There were also some KV (Korean Saehan(Sunghan)) serial numbers followed by 2-digit year.

The KC and KV forms are apparently associated with the change to Crafted in Korea. So, post-1996 models only would have this form of serial number.

Six-digit serial numbers with no preceding letters, with the first number being the year.

Squier II's could not possibly have been assembled before 1987/88, as these represent the transition to Indian and then Korean production, and all the ramifications of such (the serial numbers can be off by years for these particular axes, and neck dates may also be misleading).
The S and E Squires seem to be from the late 1980's/early 1990's and don't seem to have a reliable serial number system for dating.
Some Squier II's were made in India around 1989-1990.
A lot of the Squier II's had a plywood body.

Chinese Squiers:

YN: Y = Yako (Taiwan). The second character refers to the decade N = Nineties (1990's). And the first number following is the year. So, for example "YN6" = 1996. This form is associated with Made in China Affinitys (with the standard body thickness of 45mm/1.75).

CY: Y = Yako (Taiwan) C = China. CY is followed by 2-digit year. CY appears on most models produced in China, and is by far the most common form. These forms are apparently associated with the change to Crafted in China, so post-1996 models only would have this form of serial number.
Some Chinese Gretsch's use a CY serial number.
YN is associated with 'made in china' rather than 'crafted in china' and 1996 was the year they swapped to 'crafted in china' and mostly CY prefixes.
Miscellaneous Chinese serials: CD, CT, CJ, NC: C = China, the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.
Probably made by Yako (Taiwan).
Squier serial numbers beginning with CA are made by Axl China.

Indonesian Squiers:

IC = Made in Indonesia by Cort (solid agathis from 1998), followed by 2-digit year.
IS = Made in Indonesia by Samick. Bullet Series (plywood), followed by 2-digit year.

Indian Squiers:

Some Squier II's were made in India around 1989-1990.
Some recent Squiers are being made in India.

=======

Gil :cool:

1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural
Taka - 2005 Squier '51 Black
Yume - 2006 Squier Strat Cherryburst
Houbi - 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl - won here
Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks guys. I wanted to know the age of my guitar, but now I have a suspicion that it is made of plywood. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:02 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just got home to look at the serial number and...

it's a 2000 indonesian. The paperwork that came with it said 95, but I was doubting that, thanks guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:50 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The serial number on my red/maple neck Korean Squier is E9243XX (letter followed by six digits). Does it fall into the 6 digit category or does the letter "E" in front add any significance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

gtomatt wrote:
The serial number on my red/maple neck Korean Squier is E9243XX (letter followed by six digits). Does it fall into the 6 digit category or does the letter "E" in front add any significance?

According the large message from Giljanus: "The S and E Squires seem to be from the late 1980's/early 1990's and don't seem to have a reliable serial number system for dating."
I am assuming the E is for E-Series?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:58 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Could be. Below Squier script is "Made in Korea." Below that is
"Serial E9243XX"
Number

Maple neck/skunk stripe on the back

Post subject: ---gtomatt---
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:19 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I hate to hi jack the thread but, "gtomatt",do you have a GTO ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:53 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, '68 GTO. 400ci, mayfair maize

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

cool! I have '69 convertible ,midnight green

Post subject: S9?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:33 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

i have a squier strat that has an S9 serial number...
a friend told me its an 1987 and its japanese, can anybody confirm if he is right?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:27 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

so a cd strat is made in taiwan it starts cd99...

Post subject: Re: Age of my Squier?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Can someone help me determine the age and country of origin of my Squier, the serial number is NCY0410093

Post subject: Re: Age of my Squier?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

judam wrote:
Can someone help me determine the age and country of origin of my Squier, the serial number is NCY0410093

Hi!
Have you tried looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier ?
There they state that:
Quote:
Chinese & Taiwanese Squiers
YN: Y = Yako (Taiwan), N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.
For example
"YN5" = made by Yako in 1995.
CY: C = China, Y = Yako (Taiwan), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.
For example
"CY97" = made by Yako in 1997.
CY, COS, or COB serials are usually used on Crafted in China Squiers. Some Chinese made Gretsch guitars also have a CY serial number.
Miscellaneous Chinese serials: CD, CT, CJ, NC: C = China, the first number following the serial number prefix is the year. Probably made by Yako (Taiwan). The plant from which the COB serial number prefix models originate remains a mystery. No documentation, or comment from the manufacturer has resolved the question of which plant produced them.
Some Squiers that are sold only in the Chinese and Asian markets are made by Axl in China, these guitars usually have the serial number starting with CXS; with the 'X' standing for 'Axl'.
Squier Classic Vibe series guitars/basses serial numbers start with CG. e.g. CGSxxxxxxx

Hope that helps! :)