It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Rookie - How to use Chromatic Tuner - FT-100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:42 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Rookie with new Fender acoustic from Sam's club. I have my guitar in some degree of tune. Have no clue as to how to use the included Chromatic Tuner. Any suggestions? Location of better instructions on line? Are the letters, etc. that come up in the display "notes" or "strings"? I have a long way to go learning music. I know a number of chords, but lack technique to use the chords. I did have a nice Gibson J-45 guitar when I was in high school. Wish I had it now. Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.

Last edited by Wolfpackron on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

For some reason, those directions are hard to find, but I would just find instructions for a different chromatic tuner as they all sort of work on the same priciples...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:24 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Standard guitar tuning is E A D G B E. People use variations and alternate tunings but thats the standard. When I was first starting off on guitar someone told me to remember "Elephants And Donkeys Got Big Ears." That's EADGBE so just remember that. The first E is the first string on the guitar, the first one you see when your holding the guitar and you look down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:40 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Bowlfreshener,
I Goggled "chromatic tuner instructions" and found "universal" instructions. According to these instructions, you just start playing a string, any string and the tuner will recognize the string and the lights indicate whether it is flat or sharp or in tune. I just used it and it is pretty slick. Not perfect, but probably better than a rookie. Neat machine. Thanks again, WolfpackRon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

evh1978,
evh1978 wrote:
Standard guitar tuning is E A D G B E. People use variations and alternate tunings but thats the standard. When I was first starting off on guitar someone told me to remember "Elephants And Donkeys Got Big Ears." That's EADGBE so just remember that. The first E is the first string on the guitar, the first one you see when your holding the guitar and you look down.

Thanks for the post. I had seen the EADGBE in some of the info online. When I tune my guitar, the "chromatic tuner" shows CFGdGd. I do not understand. It is in some degree of tune by my ear. Can you explain this to me? The lower strings seem odd. Also, the letter shown on the tuner may not be exactly the same every time. Thanks, WolfpackRon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:57 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I think maybe its because the string isn't tuned to E. You can go on here anc click on the E to see how the E is supposed to sound:

http://fenderplayersclub.com/tuner/tuner.htm

Otherwise, maybe there is a switch on your tuner that needs to be adjusted. Some tuners aren't fully automatic. It could also be that the tuner is broken but maybe not.

If you are having trouble you could go to a music store where the sell guitars and ask them to show you. I'm sure they will be able to show you.

Or, you can probably find somebody near you to give you guitar lessons for a reasonable fee. Not a bad idea if you seriously want to learn how to play the guitar.

Post subject: Tuning a Guitar 101
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

evh1978,
Your tuner online did EADGBE per my chromatic tuner. Therefore it is possible to be off. I will work with it some more. The other suggestion for lessons is a good idea also. I just wanted to get a head start. Thanks, WolfpackRon.

Post subject: Re: Tuning a Guitar 101
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:11 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Wolfpackron wrote:
evh1978,
Your tuner online did EADGBE per my chromatic tuner. Therefore it is possible to be off. I will work with it some more. The other suggestion for lessons is a good idea also. I just wanted to get a head start. Thanks, WolfpackRon.

If it's not giving consistent readings you can also try changing the batteries, especially if you're using batteries that it came with. Some other suggestions that might help - don't use a pick while tuning, and pick your higher strings a little faster and your lower strings a little slower. Good luck!

Post subject: Thanks For The Help
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:38 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks everyone for the help. I finally figured it out. Only broke one string in the process. Was impatient trying to finish before going out to eat. Using the "EADGBE" Elephants and Donkeys Got Big Ears, I tuned each string as needed. Really a neat machine for a beginner learning some skills. My quitar sounds so much better now. The songs sound a lot better as well using my chords. Still lots of room for improvement. Kinda like golf, hit a good shot and you are ready to play again. Positive helps. Thanks again, WolfpackRon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:31 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well done WPR, glad you worked it out!