It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 1971 Fender Jazz Bass Question?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi I'm new here. Was trying to get some info on my 1971 Fender Jazz Bass any help would be appreciated. The thing I'm a lil confused about is that it has dot inlays instead of block inlays. Here is the thing though the butt of the neck has 7 08 71 in a green stamp which looks like it is date correct. I have never seen a early 70's Jazz Bass with dot inlays. Everything else checks out to 1971 on this bass ex. all the electronics and F plate I am posting some pics any help would be great thank you.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Post subject: inlay
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:03 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I used to have a dot-inlay that I bought used in 1973. I would guess it was probably 5-10 years old at the time max. I think it had the old 3-bolt neck as well. Don't know if this helps or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:38 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you!!! This is a 4 bolt neck, but its cool to know that you had a dot inlay as well cause I have never seen any early 70's jazz basses with dot inlays. I sent some pictures to Gruhn and Elderly as well waiting back on a reply. I spoke to someone at Elderly and said it is very possible this is the original neck it would be rare but he has seen things like this before. He just has to take a look at the photos I sent and he will get back to me. Thanks again for the reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:12 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Just speculating here, but did Fender take special orders back in '71? It may be the lighting for the photo, but that fingerboard looks more like ebony than rosewood to me. Ebony and dots would certainly be a rarity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:29 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

It does look dark to me as well it may be ebony!!! I just can't find anyone that can give me a concrete answer on this bass. I'm waiting to here back from the emails i sent out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:32 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I believe they did take special orders back then. I also read they would sometime have old stock and would put em together for example a 1967-68 neck could be put on a early 70s guitar or bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:11 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

1967Coronet wrote:
I believe they did take special orders back then. I also read they would sometime have old stock and would put em together for example a 1967-68 neck could be put on a early 70s guitar or bass.

A factory stock neck would have both block markers and the binding in '67 or '68. These cosmetic upgrades occurred at the behest of CBS shortly after they acquired Fender in 1965. The binding came first in late '65, followed by the inlays the following year. It's possible that this instrument was a "bonus bass" -- so called because at the end of each production year, any unused parts from previous years would be gathered by the floor managers to be sent to the techs and assembled into sellable products. Thus, many anomalous guitars, basses, and amps have turned up over the years -- all of them perfectly legitimate. My brother has one such bass, a '67 Precision: no date on the neck heel, transistion 1965 headstock decal, pots and pickup dated to 1967, and "paddle-style" tuning machines. In the case of your Jazz Bass, I'd opine that the fretboard is extremely dark Brazilian rosewood.

HTH

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:41 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Well, Arjay knows his stuff, and I have a '73 Mustang guitar with a fairly dark rosewood fingerboard. It's just that yours looks very dark in the photo, but lighting can make a huge difference.

I'm really liking that dark green case interior, BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:30 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Arjay thank you for your info. It would be safe to say this is the correct neck? That green stamp would also be correct in your opinion? From what I had read they said they did use what they call an apple green stamp on these necks as well. If this happens to be all correct in your opinion what do you think this bass is worth. Any more info or help you can give me would be great and thank you again for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:33 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you fretlessonly I actually have the correct orange felt Fender case as well. But use this one not to damage the other case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:56 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

1967Coronet wrote:
Arjay thank you for your info. It would be safe to say this is the correct neck? That green stamp would also be correct in your opinion? From what I had read they said they did use what they call an apple green stamp on these necks as well. If this happens to be all correct in your opinion what do you think this bass is worth. Any more info or help you can give me would be great and thank you again for your input.

It may not be the "correct" neck but IMO it's original to the rest of the instrument. As to value, that's hard to determine. Since you have the original Victoria Luggage case with the orange poodle-plush interior I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K to $4K.

So tell us about your '67 Dodge......R/T model? 440? Hemi?

(enquiring minds)

:mrgreen:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:27 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Cool Thanks Ajay!!! Ahhh my Coronet :D!! I been working on it for a year now and spending the time to do everything right it is an all original 1967 Coronet 440 when I bought the car a year ago it came with the original window sticker and certicard and the build sheet was still under the seat. It was a very clean car for its age. I will be making it a pro touring car but with a a pretty radical motor. For now i rebuilt the small block with my friend i will be using this motor until the car is complete then will be putting a big block in it. I just completed getting all the under coating off the car and to my surprise the floor boards are perfect. I dont even know were to start i have bought so many parts and been doing so much work. I think I will just post a picture of the car when i got it and one of were I am at now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Mighty tasty looking!

I had several B-body Mopars "back in the day". I think I enjoyed my '66 'Belvedere GTX the best.

Rock on!

Arjay

Post subject: neck questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:44 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Upon looking at your photos again, one thing that strikes me is the logo decal. This looks more like a CBS-era decal whereas, as near as I remember, the late 60s-early 70s Jazz I had used something more like the spaghetti logo. As others have mentioned, maybe you do have a body from one year and a neck from the other. Once problem with the date stamps from back then is that they are too easy to fake.

Still looks like a great bass though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:26 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for your info as well Fretless5!! :D