USED FENDER AMER JAZZ ASH J BASS NAT

i cant seem to find one like it, ash body natural has anyone seen one
what year would it be

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/mattcerra/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:30 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Hard to tell from such a small pic. If you had the serial number that might provide a clue as to it's approximate year.

'09 MIM standard Strat, maple fretboard, sunburst finish
Fender Super Champ XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:52 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Jazz Bass you've posted is an alder-bodied pre-2010 American Deluxe model in Amber.

You're decidedly out of luck because natural ash-bodied American Series Jazzes (such as this rosewood-neck sample shown below - not mine) were produced from 2001 to 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:15 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Could be a Fender Special Run, Musician's Friend still has them. I Bought a FSR Precision a couple years ago, they were made for Guitar Center and Musician's Friend primarily, they're made in Mexico and it seems to be a crap shoot as to what you'll find. I like mine a lot, no issues but, at the store I got mine, they had a few that were pretty bad. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:39 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

oxfan wrote:
Could be a Fender Special Run, Musician's Friend still has them. I Bought a FSR Precision a couple years ago, they were made for Guitar Center and Musician's Friend primarily, they're made in Mexico and it seems to be a crap shoot as to what you'll find. I like mine a lot, no issues but, at the store I got mine, they had a few that were pretty bad. Good luck.

Do you mean this bass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:05 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

That's the one. There's also a Fender Standard Bass with a tinted neck that bombed, they're on clearance pretty much everywhere, Butterscotch with a maple neck, alder body and black pickguard. It looks like a Squier VM Jazz except it has dot inlays.

I had a chance to play one, it was a good one. I mentioned earlier about the problems with these basses, seems someone will always have problems, no matter what kind it is. The only problem I had with my Precision, except for lowering the strings, was a stripped out screw hole on the pickguard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:02 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Here you go:

Post subject: Re: FENDER AMER JAZZ ASH J BASS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:09 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

A US original Fender made natural ash bass is very very rare. I saw one at my local music shop about 2yrs ago an American Standard prob a 2006 or 7 (Z6 serial #) since it had the S1 switch with a rosewood neck. I talked to the sales guy and asked him about this since I know how rare it is and was not part of the stock colors at the time. This is at Alto Music which is a "mom and pop" albeit with 5 stores in the NY area and one of their preferred custom shop dealers. The sales guy said, some dealers can request "non stock" items from Fender,usually different colors, and depending on who the store is they may or may not do it and same goes for giving them preferential treatment for hard to get Fender items that are back orderd by other stores. They requested a natuaral ash body Fender J bass and Fender made it for them--I'm assuming Alto does a lot of biz with Fender. Pre S1 switch American Standards the natural ash body was a standard color, but still very rare, so this would be before 2003, but post this date a natural ash American standard is VERY VERY RARE to find, I've never seen a US made natural ash body P bass, this is probably even rarer. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:11 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This post has shed light on why I could never find my Jazz Bass configuration in any catalog. Mine appears to be like the one chromeface shows (the ash body with the white pick guard). Only mine has a maple neck. Serial # (Z1xxxxx) suggests 2001. Price tag said 2001. Store said it was a special order, the guy tried it for a week and didn't take it. Wonderful bass, glad to find out it is VERY VERY RARE.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

bandmandq wrote:
This post has shed light on why I could never find my Jazz Bass configuration in any catalog. Mine appears to be like the one chromeface shows (the ash body with the white pick guard). Only mine has a maple neck. Serial # (Z1xxxxx) suggests 2001. Price tag said 2001. Store said it was a special order, the guy tried it for a week and didn't take it. Wonderful bass, glad to find out it is VERY VERY RARE.

Glad I could be of help. In hindsight, I knew I should have bought that natural ash J bass :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I think they actually had a run of Ash basses around 04 and I wish I would've gotten one because they are rare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:35 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 2001 american standard fender jazz bass in ash body maple fretboard and it plays beautifully i might sell it for the right price

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:41 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

rayfm wrote:
I have a 2001 american standard fender jazz bass in ash body maple fretboard and it plays beautifully i might sell it for the right price

So rayfm, what would it take for you to part with it? Just curious and have a friend looking to upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:27 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

1999 AM STD Jazz from Sam Ash in 1999 new. Notice the grain of the wood. Some of the other pics posted here I think are alder- anyway this bass was very rare and I didn't realize it at the time I sold it. Another one I wish I still had

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:16 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

There is a 75 jazz re-issue model thats just like this(US made a little bit pricey)Guitar Center has the FSR mdels(Fender special run) Mex made, but possibly only p-basses left to buy,Squier's 75 Re-issue Indonesian made looks similar,or you go for broke and buy one from Fender Japan,they have exactly what your looking for even with some options to choose from,my choice if buying new would be Japanese which stand up to ANY american made Fender hands down. :mrgreen: