It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Squier Guitar Upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:07 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello. I have a Squier Standard stratocaster for about 2 years and i was wondering if i can upgrade her with new parts ( ex : pickups bridge...). I am satisfied with the guitar but i want experience with knowing how it works.
For example i want it to stay in tune more longer.

Can you guys help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 am 
Amateur
Amateur

ABSOLUTELY yes.

Post subject: Great
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:35 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So can you give me some advice on what parts are better and if there is a better tremolo out there..things like that?

Thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:51 am 
Amateur
Amateur

What I would suggest is that you try:

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/squier-strat-forum/

It's much more active than the squier forum on this board.

There is tons of info on modding squiers there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:53 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

My brother made the following changes Squier Stratocaster Standard Series:
Floyd Rose tremolo set + Seymour Duncan Cool Rails ™ for Strat SCR-1[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:16 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

for major upgrades, i would change the pots first and the pickups.. since they're the heart of your tone... tuners are next since they hold strings and keep them in tune.. then followed by bridge n nut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

i have a kenny wayne signature stratocaster, but before i baught it i modified the hell outa my bullet strat, im a bit of a finatic when it comes to modding guitars, the only thing that i havnt modded on my bullet strat is the wood... i do all the mods myself, and i found the 2 things that make the biggest difference is the pups, currently running tone rider pure vintage pups, and the frets, i installed american jumbos in and it plays like a dream, the difference is amazing, i must warn, if you dont have much experience dont try and re fret a guitar your self, fender designed their giutars to be re fretted with in a day... i did mine in 6 hours but it is a big job... there are 4 things i would look at chnging:

firstly the pups, then the bridge, then the frets then machine heads... definatly worth the effort...

Post subject: Re: Squier Guitar Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:59 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Wow. Sounds really cool. I have a Squier strat that I wanted to upgrade (I got it from one of those 'quit dreaming and start playing' packs). I love the color but it's a pain to tune with the tremolo. The original tuners got stripped (don't know how that happened) and had PNG tuners put in. They're single coil pickups but want to do duncans, so probably the whole faceplate will have to go. Maybe I'll just save for a new guitar :lol:

My dad said, "I'm going to miss you."
I said, "Well, now that I broke that sight off your rifle..." (Emo Philips)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:49 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

When it comes to modifying Squier guitars, you have to take into consideration the following things:

1. Do I truley love the way the guitar plays? If it plays well, yes it is worth modifying.

2. Can I get a better guitar after the modification process vs. buying a new guitar with what I want?

3. Can I live with the fact that my re-sale value will never be worth the money I put into the guitar?

After you think about these questions, and you still want to modify your Squier, then yes I would recommend it. Otherwise I say save our money for another guitar.

BTW...I once modified an older Squier I used to own after the neck was accidently broken. Yes, after the process was over, I was very satisfied with my results. I later sold it for parts to buy another guitar. I always regreted that decision. Long story short, you can always rebuild a Squier into a guitar that often surpasses mass market Fender and/or Squier models.

2007 Fender Highway 1
2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2012 Fender American Deluxe
2010 Fender Blacktop FR
2013 Modern Player
1987 Fender Avalon Acoustic
2011 Mustang V head and cab
2012 Marshall DSL 15 watt head

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:34 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well, it is my very first electric guitar, so I'm a bit attached to it anyway. I've always wanted to look into getting one of those 72 inspired guitars that's a tele but has a strat headstock. However, i still love the little gal I have (named it Satine), and I don't think I'd trade that Squier for anything in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:21 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Like rkreisher said might be better and cheaper to keep this Squier and check out maybe a Classic Vibe Strat which have great reviews or a Fender. Then you would have two nice guitars.

07 Washburn D10SCE natural with Rosewood backing
Fender Mustang II amp

Experience is the best teacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:16 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

LadyVendettaAngel wrote:
The original tuners got stripped (don't know how that happened) and had PNG tuners put in. They're single coil pickups but want to do duncans, so probably the whole faceplate will have to go. Maybe I'll just save for a new guitar :lol:

That is a good reason to take the caps off your tuners and put some grease in them. I had the same problem with mine years ago. It was very hard to turn the tuners. Obviously better tuners are the way to go.

But I would caution anyone not to modify the only guitar you have. Get another one. You need a guitar to practice playing everyday.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:17 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have another guitar I got for my b-day last year. I got a Schecter c-1 standard in black cherry. That plays like a dream. I use my Fender Squier for practice. (I know, traitor. but that Schecter fit real well with me)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Nothing wrong with another brand guitar so long as you keep your Squier :) Now all the more reason to modify! You can learn a lot about setup by having a guitar to experiment with. So get on YouTube and Google find out as much as you can, ask questions and start modifying. Don't spend a lot of money on expensive parts. Always try and figure out an economical alternative. Sometimes a preloaded pickguard is cheaper then buying and wiring individual pickups. As far as the trem start experimenting with it. Look at it from the side. Is it floating or is it flat against the body? If you are having tuning problems it is probably floating too much. Loosen the strings and tighten the claw (part that holds the springs) in back of your guitar. It has some long screws that go into the body. Tune back up and see where your trem is now. It should be against the body or floating about an eighth or an inch. A quarter would be too much. At least that is the way mine is set up. Experiment.