It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2005 - 2006 MIM Precision Bass
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey,

I just bought a 2005 - 2006 MIM Precision bass. I just want to know more about it. Does anyone know what kind of wood they were using to make instruments in those years? Can anyone tell me anything specific about my instrument? The serial is MZ5055912.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:31 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

The Standards were 5 to 7 piece alder bodies, sometimes with a top veneer. The necks are similar to the U.S.A. models, but with no graphite reinforcement rods. I actually like the MIM necks better for several reasons...like the tuners, for instance. Didn't care for the bulky U.S. ones much. The truss rods are adjustable at the headstock...which is better. I believe the wood was the same as used for the American Standards. *There wasn't a maple fingerboard option at the time. They're pro level basses.

I'll leave it to another to tell about the fancier models. Seems like the Standards/American Series/Am. Standards design features stand the test of time a little better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:53 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Where do you find out about this stuff? Is there some sort of Fender history book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:29 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Brother Dave seems to know the most. Check out his posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:57 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

theyre crap. get s squier vm or classic vibe, or a japanese one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Nicolas wrote:

I agree with the Japanese models, but Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibes? Those are pieces of garbage. I own a VM precision bass and it's the lousiest thing I've ever owned. The Pots are scratchy, the pickups are a tad tinny, but I think that's due to the cheap wood the thing is made of made of (agathis). I had to upgrade everything in order for it to sound okay. The classic vibes are okay, I disagree that they're better than a mexican model, this mexican model I have has way better components than the classic vibes will ever have. Better wood (alder), better hardware, makes a better instrument. Huge upgrade from a Squier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:06 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

MrMiyagi wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

I agree with the Japanese models, but Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibes? Those are pieces of garbage. I own a VM precision bass and it's the lousiest thing I've ever owned. The Pots are scratchy, the pickups are a tad tinny, but I think that's due to the cheap wood the thing is made of made of (agathis). I had to upgrade everything in order for it to sound okay. The classic vibes are okay, I disagree that they're better than a mexican model, this mexican model I have has way better components than the classic vibes will ever have. Better wood (alder), better hardware, makes a better instrument. Huge upgrade from a Squier.

IN GENERAL the electronics on a Fender MIM are superior to any Asian Fender or Squier.

However, sometimes the necks on CIJ Fenders are as good if not better than USA necks, NOT always...but sometimes.

I played the Squier CV 50's and found NOTHING much to complain about. I found it a good value. I played the Squier Fretless Jazz and was flabbergasted at the lack of output.

CIJ instruments have EXCELLENT tonewoods and craftsmanship. In general I'd rather have a REALLY good MIM than any CIJ for tone out of the box, but the CIJ ones beat MIM on tone woods, neck action and intonation as a rule and are worth upgrading to make into first class players, meaning GIGGING basses that you play for money in front of people.

Therefore on a Fender CIJ you find that is worth keeping, redoing the electronics is almost always in order to bring it up to USA standards. They seem to SKIMP on electronics. They seem more interested in what it looks and feel like than what it actually sounds like at Matsumoto. I just don't get why they can get everything else right but cheap out on the electronics.

On MIM Fender basses, make sure you get one that plays well from square one and you can pretty much leave it alone beyond a cap replacement, shielding and a pickup replacement if you are unhappy with the voicing. I've played some MIM Fender P-Basses that were totally worthy out of the box and others that were beyond help. Most the CIJ basses played amazing but screamed for electronics help. In general as a crap shoot, MIM wins.

Just my opinion, but if I could NOT afford to modify it or did not have the skills to do so, I'd prefer the MIM version as the electronics are better. I love my CIJ Fender, but I love it WAY more since I replaced the electronics.