It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop Strat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:30 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey guys, I've been looking at getting a Monterey strat for quite a long time, but just decided that I was for sure buying the next one I found a few months ago, and unfortunately none have popped up where I've been looking! I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer :-P

I was just wondering if any of you have played one or own one? I would really like to hear from some people who have played them what they think of the guitar. I think I'll buy one anyway just because it's one of my dream guitars (along with JM's BLK1), but I would still like to hear about how it plays! Any info would be appreciated!

FCS JM BLACK1, FCS SRV #1, FCS Hendrix Monterey, FCS La Cabronita, JM Sunburst Strat, Martin 00-45SC, Martin Bellezza Bianca, Martin Bellezza Nera , Martin OMJM, Gibson 1960 50th Anniv LP, Dumble SSS, Two-Rock JM Sig Proto, Two-Rock Studio Pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I do have one:

How does it sound ?
well as far as playing some chords on it, it's very resonant with a full, well detailed sound.
But the main problem is that it's a lefty and if you are a right hand player you have to reverse the nut, the pick ups, the bridge and the vibrato; so good bye the 100% original condition.
I made my choice....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:28 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

alainlafrance wrote:
I do have one:

How does it sound ?
well as far as playing some chords on it, it's very resonant with a full, well detailed sound.
But the main problem is that it's a lefty and if you are a right hand player you have to reverse the nut, the pick ups, the bridge and the vibrato; so good bye the 100% original condition.
I made my choice....

Actually, it appears that only the nut and upper strap button would need reversing. The bridge saddles just need adjusting. If it truely represents Hendrix's Strat, than the pickups would not have been changed. But you are right. Converting to right hand use would probably reduce its value, but if the intent is to really play it, well ....

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Part of JH sound came from the fact that the tremolo bar was on the wrong side for a lefty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

I say save yourself $4000 and paint your own strat. It'll be you. There is already a Hendrix. Let's see and hear you.

You are unique and valuable and have something to contribute to the world of music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:40 am 
Fender Staff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 793wt_1139

Dig in.

ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:19 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mike Eldred - Fender wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170544104541&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_793wt_1139

Dig in.

ME

I said $15k/$17k
Spot on :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:50 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

alainlafrance wrote:
Mike Eldred - Fender wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170544104541&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_793wt_1139

Dig in.

ME

I said $15k/$17k
Spot on :wink:

Fact, and I'm attempting to Dig in, I'm in the negotiation stage haha :)
Thanks for the help everyone!

FCS JM BLACK1, FCS SRV #1, FCS Hendrix Monterey, FCS La Cabronita, JM Sunburst Strat, Martin 00-45SC, Martin Bellezza Bianca, Martin Bellezza Nera , Martin OMJM, Gibson 1960 50th Anniv LP, Dumble SSS, Two-Rock JM Sig Proto, Two-Rock Studio Pro.

Post subject: Re: Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop Strat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I am checking back posts since I took a long hiatus, and this one has seriously floored me. This is my all time favorite Strat and I never realized they were issued left handed.I am thankful Alain cleared that up, and I also think it was a mistake by Fender to make them left handed. Seriously if the art work by Pamelina is not 100% dead on, to be honest not close. Since she is an artist and really beautified Jimi's drawing I do not see why it was not strung to be played right handed with the illusion of it being reversed since it is not an actual reproduction, and really about the vibe. Well I guess the original 210 were really made to be total collectors guitars, with the exception of a few happy lefties who finally got a break lol. It is too much scratch too play around with and mod to play right handed.I just hope the person that eventually buys the one on Ebay for 17K is a dead on collector who did his homework or he will be one sick puppy. Still learning something new everyday lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Jimi Hendrix played that right handed Strat left handed; what would you expect from the Fender Custom Shop Jimi Hendrix Tribute Strat ??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:37 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Alain I would of expected the nut cut,and bridge and pups aligned so the guitar could of been played right handed out of the box. I do not think any of that would have taken away any of the luster or beauty and also value as it is not a 100% dead on replica to begin with, unless I am missing something and Jimi had a little picture of himself lighting the guitar on fire put on before he played it lol. That is the point I am trying to make my friend. I am sure you would agree and also would have rather it was set up to play right handed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I switched my nut and strap button. Really, nothing is going to be an exact replica because the guitar was burnt on stage. There is a piece of it at EMP, but other than that, I don't know the whereabouts of other pieces. It says in the description that Fender asked Pamelina to "Pamelina it". Fender wanted a more cleaned up version. I have no problem with that at all. This is called a "Tribute", not an exact replication. Technically, if they were to do a replication, they would give you a bunch of pieces of a broken burnt guitar.

If you're buying it for collectible value, then you can put it up on the wall and admire how beautiful it is, even though it's not exactly the same as Jimi's. If you bought it to play it, you can switch the nut and strap button, plug in, and enjoy. It's a super clean guitar.

No reason to complain, they were produced over 10 years ago. Paint your own with nail polish if you want it to look like Jimi's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

straycat113 wrote:
Alain I would of expected the nut cut,and bridge and pups aligned so the guitar could of been played right handed out of the box. I do not think any of that would have taken away any of the luster or beauty and also value as it is not a 100% dead on replica to begin with, unless I am missing something and Jimi had a little picture of himself lighting the guitar on fire put on before he played it lol. That is the point I am trying to make my friend. I am sure you would agree and also would have rather it was set up to play right handed.

Yes, I understand your point of view, but just imagine the FCS had released it already converted back into a right hand guitar...
Here the FCS let it to each owner to use it in whichever way it fits one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:51 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

JesseKnutson44 wrote:
I switched my nut and strap button. Really, nothing is going to be an exact replica because the guitar was burnt on stage. There is a piece of it at EMP, but other than that, I don't know the whereabouts of other pieces. It says in the description that Fender asked Pamelina to "Pamelina it". Fender wanted a more cleaned up version. I have no problem with that at all. This is called a "Tribute", not an exact replication. Technically, if they were to do a replication, they would give you a bunch of pieces of a broken burnt guitar.

If you're buying it for collectible value, then you can put it up on the wall and admire how beautiful it is, even though it's not exactly the same as Jimi's. If you bought it to play it, you can switch the nut and strap button, plug in, and enjoy. It's a super clean guitar.

No reason to complain, they were produced over 10 years ago. Paint your own with nail polish if you want it to look like Jimi's.

Normally bridge saddles should be re-ajusted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:10 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

straycat113 wrote:

Just go and buy Jimi Hendrix Vodood Stratocaster ^)