It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Latest fuse software doesn't work
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Opens, some graphics flash on, then: Nada. Black screen. Zilch. Right mouse click says "Silverlight".
Windows XP home SP2
Latest Silverlight.
Based on what I've seen in other posts, where can I get a copy of the original version, which did apparently work?

I'll take any suggestions. I've got 23 days to return the Mustang II and just continue using Behringer stuff.

Luckily live I play a Marshal Haze. It works.

Les

1964 Gibson SG-Cream Yellow??!!
2008 Hw1 Strat-Sunburst/Maple
2010 Epiphone Les Paul Plustop ProFX

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:30 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'd edit my previous post if I could... save electrons...
Fuse 2.0 worked on a different computer (MacPro Quad running XP Pro in boot camp).
Doesn't help me much because the Dell laptop it didn't work on (Inspiron 9400) is my main music workstation, recording, learning/practicing etc.

Any light that can be shed will be welcome.

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:00 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Fuse 2.0 doesn't work for me either. All I get is a black blank window with a title bar that says 'Fender Fuse - fuse.Fender.Com'. Then it just sits there.

I also ask if there is a 2.0 version of some kind that is not the FULL version. This FULL version download was 300ish meg is size. The 1.1.3 install executable is around 12 meg in size. What is in the FULL version that requires 300 meg of stuff. All I want is the basic FUSE stuff that allows me to control the G_DEC, not all other stuff such as Silverlight, which I refuse to be allow to exist on my computer.

For now I have re-ghosted my PC back to its previous state before installing 2.0 and am using 1.1.3 and it will stay that way until a reasonable 2.0 version is available.

BTY, I have only had my G-DEC for about a week and so far I do like it. However, much improvement can be made to both the firmware and the FUSE software. I am also fully aware the creating software is an iterative process. No software engineer or programmer gets it all the first time. I know because I am one and have been for 30+ years.

Something I don't quite get is the fact that the FUSE software really lacks decent file system. Being that it is a USB interface device, there should be a drive letter create to access the hard drive and the SD in the same manner that one gets when inserting a USB thumb drive. This ability function should be in the firmware so that the FUSE software is not needed to access the hard drive or SD. If all this is already there then I must have missed it.

Regard to all...

Post subject: Yes, The Fuse Screen of Black Death!!! (FSBOD)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:32 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hoping for a Fender response?? I know I just posted last night, but I'm not the only one experiencing issues with Fuse 2.0. Yes software development IS iterative, that's why there are things called beta programs.

BTW-that's exactly what I get on the laptop, not an optimal user experience.

It does work quite well on a different computer; I've used a number of different modeling amps/software systems and I'd have to say this one works pretty well as far as it goes. The documentation/help system is pretty much non existent and will be written by users in the forums. Navigation/file saving is a trifle odd, but a little experimentation will get you there.

A file system/standard usb device operation would be nice... but I'd settle for getting it just to work on the laptop I need it to work on.

ANYBODY HAVE LINK TO THE FIRST 1.3x version of Fuse???

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:03 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

That's why I saved a copy of my FUSE 1.1.3 download before switching to 2.0...just in case. Been repairing computers too long to not have a backup plan.

I haven't found a place where you can find 1.1.3. I don't know if there's an area here where you can private message me?!? If so, I could send the file as an attachment to your e-mail address. When I click the button to pm, it says it's been disabled on this board.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:52 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

srclab wrote:
Something I don't quite get is the fact that the FUSE software really lacks decent file system. Being that it is a USB interface device, there should be a drive letter create to access the hard drive and the SD in the same manner that one gets when inserting a USB thumb drive. This ability function should be in the firmware so that the FUSE software is not needed to access the hard drive or SD. If all this is already there then I must have missed it.

Regard to all...

Check out the USB Drive function in the utility mode. Once you go into that mode the internal flash and SD card will show up as drive letters on your PC. You can search for USB Drive in the advanced manual for step by step instructions.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:18 am 
Fender Staff

Hey guys,

We apologize for the issues you're experiencing. We're currently doing everything we can to isolate and fix these problems.

Les: Fender FUSE only supports XP SP3. That could be your problem. Do you have IE 7.0 or later installed? The black screen issue is one we have seen on systems with earlier versions of IE installed.

Srclab: Fender FUSE is a Silverlight app. That's why Silverlight must be installed to use it. The FULL Fender FUSE download is 300MB because it includes the installers for Fender FUSE, Silverlight, and MS .NET Framework 3.5. Since lots of people don't have all of those pieces installed already, we decided to include them in the package. We are looking into ways to make the installer package much smaller.

We will do our best to keep you guys updated on the status of the fix we're working on.

Loren
TSL@fender.com
480-596-7195

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:19 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks bluesdave,

As I stated previously, I have only had the G-DEC for a week and have only done preliminary playing around on it, so there is much to learn and discover. I presume that you are referring to the utilities menu on the G-DEC. I will again refer to the manual on this issue and try this during the weekend.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:43 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Laren,

I could be mistaken, but it didn't appear that FUSE 1.1.3 required Silverlight to be installed, nor did it require any kind web browser, since I installed 1.1.3 on a PC that has neither. FUSE was able to run on its own.

I find it disconcerting that FUSE now requires such help and can no longer function on its own. I can't think of a single reason what-so-ever why Fender could not provide a version of FUSE 2.0 or any other future version that may contain enhancements to its general usability between simply the FUSE program and the G-DEC. Its only my humble opinion, but I find it presumptuous of Fender to assume that all PCs that FUSE is installed on have all this extraneous software installed (Silverlight, IE, ect. , because it can't stand on its own) when all I want is a stand alone application that can be used to control the G-DEC and have enhancements to that application. If Fender cannot provide this, that is a shame, but I will keep the G-DEC and continue to use it with version 1.1.3 such as it is.

In another subject thread, I mentioned (tongue-in-cheek) to just send me the source code. Perhaps I should make a some-what more serious request. How about the source code (all of it) for FUSE 1.1.3
(I don't expect this, but that would really be nice)

And...How rude of Fender to longer provide a link to previous versions of FUSE. Especially since, according to numerous posts in numerous forums that version 2.0 seems to be plagued with problems and obviously was not thoroughly tested and should have NEVER been release to the G-DEC user community in its current condition.

Well...there is more to be said, but enough for now.

Regard to all,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Loren Howard - Fender wrote:
Hey guys,

We apologize for the issues you're experiencing. We're currently doing everything we can to isolate and fix these problems.

Les: Fender FUSE only supports XP SP3. That could be your problem. Do you have IE 7.0 or later installed? The black screen issue is one we have seen on systems with earlier versions of IE installed.

Srclab: Fender FUSE is a Silverlight app. That's why Silverlight must be installed to use it. The FULL Fender FUSE download is 300MB because it includes the installers for Fender FUSE, Silverlight, and MS .NET Framework 3.5. Since lots of people don't have all of those pieces installed already, we decided to include them in the package. We are looking into ways to make the installer package much smaller.

We will do our best to keep you guys updated on the status of the fix we're working on.

Loren
TSL@fender.com
480-596-7195

Oh! That's why the install file size is so huge. That makes a lot more sense. I couldn't figure out how it went from 13 - 300 MB. Thanks for that info. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Loren Howard - Fender wrote:
Hey guys,

Loren
TSL@fender.com
480-596-7195

Hi Loren, thanks for the reply and the info.
I'm using Fuse 2.0 sucessfully on a different system that only has SP2 on it, but IE is at 7.0.
I guess I'll try updating to SP3 and IE8 on the problem laptop and see what happens. After I install SP3 and IE8, would I need to uninstall and re-install Silverlight and Fuse 2.0?

ALSO: in Fuse, can you have both an Overdrive stompbox followed by a Compressor stomp box? It seems like you can't... if there's a way, please let me know!

Thanks,
Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:55 pm 
Fender Staff

Hey Les,

It's usually better to uninstall the previous version of Fender FUSE and Silverlight first.
Regarding the Compressor Stomp Box, you can only have one Stomp Box per Preset. Since the Comprssor is a stomp box effect any other effects would have to fall in the categories, of Modulation, Delay, or Reverb.

Loren

Post subject: Fuse now works (Thanks Loren)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:24 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm the first to complain, and quite vocally, when stuff doesn't work, so I thought it would good to also report when it DOES work.

Thanks to Loren for helping me resolve my Fuse Black Screen Of Death.
I did what was suggested, uninstalled Fuse and Silverlight, updated to SP3, then updated to IE8, then reinstalled Fuse and Silverlight, and voila, Fuse works on my Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop.

Thanks also for answering my question re: overdrive stompbox followed by a compressor stompbox (I think that would be a feature request if the capability is there in the hardware) not being available.

I tried some stuff out this morning, and I'm keeping the Mustang. I just have to set up the patches with different speaker emulators to get closer to what I have in mind. I will be playing practices and jam sessions with the Mustang II.

ONE MORE QUESTION:
When I run Fuse on a high powered tower computer, it's pretty snappy.
On the Dell lnspiron, it's somewhat laggy, especially the tuner. It's not a deal breaker, but is there anything I can do to make the software respond better?? What am I up against, video card or memory or processor restrictions???

Thanks,

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:01 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Hi, it may be cpu-throttlling, enforced slowdowns in laptops to save battery life. You can google your laptop model against that phrase. Also read up on cooling your model, and its power management ACPI implementation.
HP screwed theirs up a few years back, their daft fix was leaving the fans
running fulltilt all the time, and massive warranty replacements.

blackviper has long running charts/guides for shutting off unnecessary windows features that frees up valuable cpu time.

a Dell throttling info:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews ... cerns/9847

http://www.blackviper.com/ for a weekend of OS tweaking you'll never forget!

Cheers

Post subject: see my experiences
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:41 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

see

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/ ... 931#530931
topic - Fuse 2.0 and XP

--------------------------------------------------
Windows is a PITA thats why I use Linux