It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Tele Setups: Relief, Action & Pickup Height Adjustments
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:45 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

All my Tele's have 9.5" radius necks and are strung with D'Addario 10's.

My basic setup for all my Tele's is as follows:

Relief: .010" at the 8th fret
Action: 4/64" (bass & treble sides) at the 17th fret

Pickup Height (Neck & Bridge):
Hot Tele, Tex-Mex - 5/64" (bass side), 4/64" (treble side)
Tonerider Hot Classics - 6/64" (bass side), 5/64" (treble side)
Noiseless - 8/64" (bass side), 6/64" (treble side)

I'm interested in learning what you guys use as a basis for doing setups on your 9.5" radius Tele's.

In particular, I'm interested in your formula for setting pickup height. There seems to be a lot of variation in this area.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:18 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I use this http://www.fender.com/support/telecaste ... _guide.php as a basis and adjust to taste since every guitar is different. For example my Baja Tele plays better for me with less relief than Fender suggests, and I use my ears instead of a ruler when adjusting pickup height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

metropolis74 wrote:
I use this http://www.fender.com/support/telecaste ... _guide.php as a basis and adjust to taste since every guitar is different. For example my Baja Tele plays better for me with less relief than Fender suggests, and I use my ears instead of a ruler when adjusting pickup height.

Right now, I'm using the Fender Setup Guide; however, if you look at Dan Erlewine's book, his basic setup is much different regarding relief (.012 at the 7th fret) and pickup height (6/64", treble side, and 8/64", bass side, for all pickups). And Bill Lawrence recommends a pickup height of 1 nickel on the treble side and 2 nickels on the bass side.

With regard to pickup height, are you saying that you do the entire adjustment by ear, or do you preset the pickups as per Fender specs, then fine-tune by ear?

Last edited by FenderGuy53 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

FenderGuy53 wrote:
Right now, I'm using the Fender Setup Guide; however, if you look at Dan Erlewine's book, his basic setup is much different regarding relief (.012 at the 7th fret) and pickup height (6/64", treble side, and 8/64", bass side, for all pickups). And Bill Lawrence recommends a picku pheight of 1 nickel on the treble side and 2 nickels on the bass side.

With regard to pickup height, are you saying that you do the entire adjustment by ear, or do you preset the pickups as per Fender specs, then fine-tune by ear?

Yes I use Fender specs as a guideline and adjust from there to taste. Sometimes a particular guitar needs to stray from those specs, while others play fine to Fender specs. I think that's why Fender puts the (+/-) variations after each measurement called out. Changing string gauge will also change the specs.

I also have Dan Erlewine's books. The Guitar Repair Guide and the How To Make Your Guitar Play Great book. I don't know which one you have, but in the latter it lists the setup specs for many famous guitarists axes. And you can see that what works for one player doesn't work for another.
*It would feel weird for me to play Bill Kirchen's Tele with a huge amount of relief, but it works for him. If my Tele had that much relief, I would call it warped.
*Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, and Jeff Beck all play(ed) Strats, but they each have them setup WAY differently from each other.

It's all a matter of finding what is comfortable and sounds good to YOU. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:18 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

metropolis74 wrote:
Yes I use Fender specs as a guideline and adjust from there to taste. Sometimes a particular guitar needs to stray from those specs, while others play fine to Fender specs.

It's all a matter of finding what is comfortable and sounds good to YOU. Good luck!

What you say makes a lot of sense. I think I'll stick with the way I'm doing things now.

Thanks.