It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Custom shop worth it?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:20 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

Do you all think custom shop basses are worth the outrageous $?\

Don't get me wrong, I love Fender, and that's all I play, (and I will always play Fender Basses), but I just got a 2006 CS Bass VI that doesn't seem any better crafted than the production basses I have. Granted, it wasn't built by a specific luthier, or team built. Maybe I am missing something?

I understand that they put out rare birds, and special reissues, etc. But are they really that much better than their production basses that they need to cost a fortune? I have a American Vintage '62 Reissue that is perfect, and wasn't custom shop. How could they make a better '62 through the custom shop? I guess I don't get it?

Last edited by john11.2526@gmail.com on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:46 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Immediate thought is to have them use an extremely high-end cream furniture polish on the body and see if that helps.

The fingerboard may merely be dry. Rosewood is naturally oily, but can dry out and look "dusty." A hot luthier will be able to verify the best products for both applications. Recommendation is Andon Davis at Third Coast Guitars in Chicago; techs do not come much better than him.

The bass VI is such a hip instrument. Use it like a tenor sax for low, clean leads.

Best of fortune.

Post subject: Re: Custom shop worth it?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:41 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have over 20 US made Fenders including some of the Artist & RI versions and a CS REggie Hamilton. Overall I'd say the extra $ isn't worth it for the custom shop. I'm not into paying extra for a dinged up "relic" guitar but some people like this and to them this may be worth extra $. Overall the work/craftmanship isn't any better in my opinion than the regular US made nor the sound--you could always buy CS pickups and put in your regular US made bass. I've seen CS basses with a 1-2mm gap in the neck pocket and bad fret work. Sure they they don't make as many CS basses as the regular American Standard line so they may be rarer or have colors you can't normally get.