It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Roller Nut Installation
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:52 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I was considering installing a Fender LSR Roller Nut on my Strat but have received 180 degree different opinions on the ease of installation. Some say it's a breeze and others make it sound like you would rather be dipped in honey and buried in an anthill. Who here has installed it themselves and what was your experience? Currently I have the nut that came standard with the 2008 MIA Standard Strat. Is it even worth the trouble to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:31 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

FarRider wrote:
Is it even worth the trouble to do?

I say No. A properly set up Strat with well cut nut slots is just as good or superior to a roller nut. I am of the opinion that roller nuts rob tone, look ugly, and decrease resale value of the guitar after the mod.

There must have been a reason that Fender discontinued using roller nuts stock on American Deluxes sometime in the early 90's or so. Well the Jeff Beck sig Strat is the only current Fender I can think of that uses a roller nut, so I guess Jeff likes it. But then again, he does crazy whammy stuff.

Post subject: Re: Roller Nut Installation
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

FarRider wrote:
I was considering installing a Fender LSR Roller Nut on my Strat but have received 180 degree different opinions on the ease of installation. Some say it's a breeze and others make it sound like you would rather be dipped in honey and buried in an anthill. Who here has installed it themselves and what was your experience? Currently I have the nut that came standard with the 2008 MIA Standard Strat. Is it even worth the trouble to do?

Hi FarRider!

I have installed the LSR nut on one of my partscatsers and am very happy with it :D

I'm into some serious wammy abuse and in my experience the LSR is more stable than my other guitars as far as tuning stability goes. That said, If i only had one guitar I probably wouldn't have installed it and I also wouldn't have modded a genuine fender with one.

If you’re interested in carrying out the installation yourself, here's a link for your perusal.

http://www.electric-guitar-info.com/roller-nut.html

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on if you have any other questions

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:35 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I've installed several with excellent results. However, I'd still rather have a conventional nut. I don't like the looks of it nor the strings' feel with it and sooner or later, those bearings are going to go out of round. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:48 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Martian wrote:
sooner or later, those bearings are going to go out of round. YMMV.

+1

Yep, I’ve heard that might happen. That’s why I bought a spare! A lavish luxury I know but I’d be pretty miffed if they went as it’s my number 1 guitar at the mo and I’ve been really pushing it recently.

Thinking about it, the LSR will take more to maintain than a standard nut and unless you really want one (like i did) its probably not worth the hastle :wink:

Andy