It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mexico Strat BEST YEARS
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

Hello... this is my first post. I am a pretty new strat owner, learning to play some fun blues rather than just the power chord metal that I played as a young guy.

Anyway, I picked up a couple of Mexi strats that seemed to be interesting looking.

I was wondering if there are better or worse years for Mexi strats.

The 2008 is a Fat Strat and is super cool, the construction seems very solid and the pickups are pretty cool

The 2000 Standard Strat has a much smaller trem block and the pickups sound markedly different, they have a cool "quack" to them, very different from the 2008.

What are the best years for Mexi Strats in your opinion?

mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:38 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

MIM were redesigned in 2007 and since then they have gotten much better reviews from what I've seen.

Post subject: 70's Mexi Strat
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:38 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 2010 70's Mexi Strat with the old style neck and large headstock from Mexico and it's actually a better made and sounding guitar than the last '89 American Standard that I owned. Hope this helps.
Cheers
guitar-trader.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:46 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I agree with Guitar Trader. The golden age for Mexican Strats is right now. Quality and value all in one.

But while we're at it, IMHO American Strats and even Squiers are also at their best right now, We live in a new golden age for guitar manufacturing quality and value. No doubt the Chinese competition has helped push standards up - also the advent of computer controlled routing machines..

We might all have occasional quibbles and grumbles, but as a Company, I think Fender have truly re-built themselves to be the best guitar mass production company out there and are in the shape of their lives. Shame that Gibson seem to be unable to reverse their on-going slow decline in a similar way.

Last edited by adey on Tue May 18, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

maybe I'm biased, but I bought a MIM standard strat about 16 years ago (which has been well modified), but as far as feel and playability, as well as price, the mid 90's strats are awesome. When I bought mine, I think it was just over $300 brand new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:07 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

rickyp wrote:
maybe I'm biased, but I bought a MIM standard strat about 16 years ago (which has been well modified), but as far as feel and playability, as well as price, the mid 90's strats are awesome. When I bought mine, I think it was just over $300 brand new.

that may true to you, but spec wise the 2006 and up MIMs are much better guitars. Medium Jumbo frets instead of vintage frets, full size trem block, the pots and switch were upgraded to the same as the MIA guitars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:13 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 1993 MIM Strat, I love the hell out of it. The only thing I would like to do is install some Tex-Mex pickups or EMG DG-20 pickup sets.

-Mike

1974 Hohner Les Paul
Fender/Squire Partsocaster
ESP/LTD KH2
ESP/LTD Explorer
ESP/LTD Eclipse EC50
Epiphone Flying V
Jackson Firestorm DX10D
Hohner Les Paul
Schecter C1+
Yamaha Acoustic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:24 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Anything 2000 and up seems to be good. I have been playing MIM for about 12 years now, and through the years the electronics have changed some, hardware improves about every 2-3 years, but that '70s feel and vibe is always still there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:47 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Its hard to compare, but I have a 2008 Deluxe Series (Roadhouse/Lonestar parts caster). I believe this guitar is better than an American Special or Highway 1.

facebook.com/313DBC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:05 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I love the sound, feel, and looks of my 2009 CAR MIM Standard. Even my luthier was impressed by it when I had him set it up. I also had him wire it like an American Standard with a tone pot (shared with the middle pup) wired for the bridge pup. Made a big difference in the smoothness of the bridge pup.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have and 08 and a 94 mim and there both great guitars. I love the color on my 08 its a special run hss, and the under the pickguard looked amazing instead of the regular black paint, it was transparent really showed off the inner would grain as well. The neck is amazing I'm not fond of the hss set up but tis why i am installing a loaded texas special pickguard today. the 94 is banged up and has seen alot of love in its day, it has the vintage frets that have alot of wear but it still plays great the finish is coming off the neck so its looking all vintage. Anyway i love em both without the ninety's mexi's the mexi's of today wouldn't be hear so i'ma say i think bother generations are great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:36 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

If we're just discussing MIM Standards only, my vote goes for 2006 and newer. The updated trem block, control cavity shielding paint, and medium frets win it for me.

If we're talking MIM in general, the MIM Classic Player line are the best guitars ever to come out of Ensenada, in my opinion.

The other MIM models especially the Classic Series leave me cold no matter what year. The Road Worns I've tried are hit and miss in quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:55 am 
Roadie
Roadie

the routing on the neck of my 2000 was poorly done. (of course you can't tell unless the pickguard is off of the guitar. I am disappointed at the poor quality control that went into that particular piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

rickyp wrote:
... as far as feel and playability, the mid 90's strats are awesome ...

Nah, 2004 is the year you want. That what mine is and it is a serious player.

Bottom line: mid '90s or early 00's or the least couple of years = they are all seriously good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:06 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

+1 to everything that has already been said