It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Champion 600 hum
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:51 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,

I have a couple of Champion 600's I got last week brand new and I really like the tone (I play clean with Strats). However after a few minutes there is a noticeable deep hum, even without a guitar lead plugged in. Does anyone know a cure for this?

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:08 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I also have a Champion 600 and love it. I do not have the hum issue (Strat and Tele), but I know there are 'kits' you can buy on Ebay that are supposed to help those that do have issues. AlnicoMagnet or something like that is the guys Ebay ID.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:19 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

All single-ended (only one power tube) tube amps can exhibit some slight 60hz background hum. Two or four power tube push-pull amps cancel out most of the hum. It's just the nature of things, it's always been that way. I've played many vintage tweed Champs and Princetons that all exhibit the same hum. My new Champ 600 hums too. I can't hear it when I am playing though.

Adding more filtering on the amp's circuit board can get rid of hum, but it can effect the tone of the amp if you add too much. If you are handy with a soldering iron, there are mods out there on the internet and even kits on ebay that reduce the hum of the Champ 600. edit: BooneDog beat me to it. Yeah Alnicomagent is the name, thanks.

I haven't bothered with mods becuase my Champ 600 hum is slight and not out of the ordinary compared to other Champ 600's or to recapped vintage single-ended amps I've played.

I think you would only have a problem if one of your Champs hums more than the other, or the hum increases as you turn the volume knob up with no guitar plugged in. The background hum should stay pretty consistant regardless of volume setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you for the input. My primary concern about the hum is recording. I want to mike the amps in tandem for a cool ambient stereo effect. Since the hum is a part of the amp, it will be there even if I use a volume pedal or noise gate. Do you have any suggestions for making it unnoticeable in a recording (mic placement, perhaps)? I'm new to home recording. I'm sure there are tricks to dealing with the inevitabel hum associated with single coil pickups, analog effects, and tube amps. Buddy Holly and the Crickets most have found some solution!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:27 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

thx16 wrote:
Thank you for the input. My primary concern about the hum is recording. I want to mike the amps in tandem for a cool ambient stereo effect. Since the hum is a part of the amp, it will be there even if I use a volume pedal or noise gate. Do you have any suggestions for making it unnoticeable in a recording (mic placement, perhaps)? I'm new to home recording. I'm sure there are tricks to dealing with the inevitabel hum associated with single coil pickups, analog effects, and tube amps. Buddy Holly and the Crickets most have found some solution!! :P

You bet there are tricks to recording Champs. There have been hundreds of well known recordings using Champs...'Layla' and 'Walk The Line' are the first that come to mind. Back then, the hum probably just got lost in the mix and they didn't worry about it.

I'm not an expert but a few things I can think of off the top of my head: Put the noise gate on the amp mics, not the guitar. Don't mic the amps too close. During mixdown, mute the channels that the Champs were recorded on when nothing is being played on those channels.

If the hum is unusually loud maybe you should get them checked out? or at least go back to the store you got them from and compare hum to other new Champ 600's. Chances are they will all sound the same, unless you got a lemon then you can exchange it for a new quiet one since you bought them new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey thanks for the tips on minimizing hum in a recording!

I believe that the hum is normal since it is the same for both amps and is not noticeable when I'm playing music. It remains constant after warm up for both amps as well. Also the hum is the same as on a youtube demo by the guy from England who sells mod kits.

I want to give these amps a chance. Back in 1987 I purchased one of those red knob "The Twin" amps which was fantastic, but I don't have the space (or back) to be lugging it around anymore-- I currently live on a sailboat where space is at a premium. About a year ago I sold it to a friend of mine-- fortunately I can borrow it anytime, and have the option to buy it back someday. But at this time it would be more convenient to work with the Champion 600's, particularly for those 2 am moments of inspiration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:46 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Mine had a very very slight hum....nothing that sounds anything like you describe. I replaced the stock tubes with Tung-Sol's and replaced the stock speaker with a Jensen Mod 6 and now - no hum/nothing - when I turn it on - it is perfectly quiet.
Oh, it sure sounds better now too.