It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Performer 1000 :)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello!

I would know what do you think about the Fender Performer 1000 amp? If some of you have tried it or know it...

Possible drawbacks, qualities, price...

:?:

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:12 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

He we go ... this is a little video i made with a perfomer 1000

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTiLjttO38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:30 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

i own one as well. i jammed a COUGAR logo in the grille i got from a junkyard and dubed my amp the COUGAR1000

this amp is LOUD. its a hybrid amp so it has both tube and solid technology on seperate channels. its also one of those fender amps which if you turn the dial to 1 its ok, turn it to 2 its so damn loud everyone in the building will hear you. turn it to 3 and it doesn't really get louder...hell turn it up to 8 and its just about the same volume as 3. I have owned mine since 1994 and been the only owner of it. it works awesome if you have a volume pedal, or some sort of other device where you can crank up the volume on the clean channel to get it to break up and then dial back the volume on it....something with more vol knobs on it like a pod or Vamp. the clean on it is amazing, crank it up and break it up.

it has 2 drive channels: yellow drive (drive) and red drive (more drive). they worked fine for me 13 years ago when i was just starting out playing as a 15 year old. Now later in my life i use a Vamp2 plugged into the amp with the clean turned up on 8 and never use the amp drive channels. This set up is very versitile, lots of volume to play out in a bar or hall, but with the Vamp you can dial the volume back and pick infinate drive settings for a home environment. so thats good.

on to the bad.

a known problem with many of us owners of this amp (thank god for harmony central back in 1998 or else this amp would be in the garbage 10 years ago) is that it get so damn hot that it melts the connection on whatever part of the board inside it that controls the channel switching. whatever stuff fender used to hold the guts of this thing together in that area does not hold up worth a crap. what happens is that the amp grows a mind of its own and switches channels on you while playing, POPS REALY LOUD, and sometimes gets stuck between channels and wont make any sound at all. this will first happen when using the amp for an extended period of time after about the first 2 years. when you first turn it on it acts fine but after about 2 hours, then 1 hour, then 30 minutes it just starts POPPING super loud.

back then i had no idea what was wrong with it because harmony central.com didn't exist or i didn't have internetz one or the other. so i kept taking it into the shop and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it..they would turn it on and it would work fine....i would say NO IT ONLY STARTS MESSING UP AFTER 30 MINUNTES OF SOLID PLAYING.....and my shop guy was like im not going to sit here and play it for 30 minutes when there is nothing wrong with it you are crazy.....When i found harmony central i printed out the reviews of problems with the amp from all the other owners and took it to him....it took him 10 minutes to fix with higher grade solder and it hasn't given me another problem for 10 years.

AMAZING AMP AMAZING SOUND if you are willing to have it worked on.....you can get them super cheap on EBAY because people have this problem, don't know whats wrong with it and just sell it broken. buy it broken for 100 bucks, pay some dude 50 for 10 minutes of work and you got yourself a 100 watt killer.

pick up the GE112 for it too if you can. it makes the bottom end much more rounded.

hope this helps and good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:49 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Can anyone help me with a problem I have with this amp? I bought it 2nd hand for £100 about 4 years ago and it hasn't given me too many problems (Bar a couple of minor soldering issues on the footswitch and main input)

Basically the amp has started crapping out on me after about 15-20 minutes of playing - the power dies, kaput, nothing (very annoying as that's about the time when I'm warmed up nicely!) I think the amp is overheating and turning itself off as it gets stupidly hot on the front plate where the pots are. Anyone know a solution to sort this problem out? Anyone had it before? Any help would be greatly apprieciated, cheers :)