It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb? Opinions wanted!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:42 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Here's the skinny:

Looking at picking up a Deluxe Reverb or a Vibrolux Reverb...I don't gig and my uses will be entirely for home play and home recording.

Is a VR too much for playing thru just at home? (in terms of volume and rattling my walls) Of course that clean vintage tone is one thing I'm after, but I also would like to open it up and get that tube overdriven sound.

Or does the fact that the DR pushes 20 watts thru one 12" speaker and the VR pushes 40 thru two 10" speakers kind of even things out in the volume department?

What are your opinions on a DR or VR if you were looking at both for home/home recording work?

Any info is appreciated!

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:23 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Personaly I would go for the deluxe. You can get the rad classic fender clean and since it's 22watts you can still crank it to saturation without totally blowing you ears off. I have a twin and not only is it cumbersome to transport to saturate it, it's loud. Plus i've played through a deluxe and they are sweet amps. But it's really you bag man. Go down and test drive one. Let your gut tell you.

"lexy" jag-stang
"owa" martin 000

tone=fingers; fingers=tone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I agree and would go with the Deluxe Reverb. It's a great amp for recording too, maybe even too loud (even at 22 watts rms) if you're planning on doing close mic'ing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:25 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The Deluxe Reverb will be plenty loud at home, and if you're only playing at home, may be too loud. It's an amazing amp though.

The Vibrolux is very, very loud for 40 watts. Not a good home amp.

Some other options for just home recording/playing:

Princeton Reverb - same great sound, tremelo and reverb, but 10 less watts.

Blues Jr. - El84 vibe, but has a master volume so if you wanted gain you could have it at bedroom levels.

Outside of Fender, Dr. Z's Mini Z looks very cool. 5 watts with a built in attenuator so that you can really get the volume down to a whisper, but with all the rage of the volume on 10. I may pick up the head as my next amp (first non-fender purchase since my Music Man 410 65 in 1983) but they also build it as a 1x10 combo.

Recording tips
I use a '57, but also have recently found that the Sennheiser e906 sounds even better. You drape it over the top of the amp right on the speaker grille, and it sounds great. That with a large condenser mic 4 ft back to capture some of the room, and you've got a great setup for recording. For Playing live the e906 also means one less mic stand, which helps clean up the stage. For the 57, get a Z-Bar - goes under the amp or under the handle and again, less mic stands.

The other tip is the Auralex GRAMMA - get one of these! It decouples your amp from your floor so that it doesn't shake every little thing in your house. Works on my Princeton Reverb as well as my 40watt Bandmaster.

Good luck!

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:44 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I have two DRs a '66 and '67 and they are great for what you're talking about.You can crank them and they sound wonderful at about 4 or 5...which is plenty loud.
I have a '66 Pro Reverb and although the 40w 2x12 sounds clean at low volumes,I haven't pushed it to the point of breakup inside,much.
I think although the Vibrolux would distort sooner,they have with what little experience I have had with them.
I would go with a DR anytime and have gigged with them in clubs without miking....at home they sound just as good.

one thing to add;the guitars you will be playing through will make the amps sound and react differently...single coils vs. humbuckers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Between those two, the DR hands down................... 8) Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Why would anyone compare a DR and a VR? Apples and oranges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:52 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yeah, Rebelsoul makes a very good point about the guitar being used. We are talking about older amps, right? If so, with humbuckers, the Vibrolux could be a great recording amp. Like Ned pointed out, with a close and ambient room mic the sound would be great, given the appropriate room acoustics. The Deluxe is a geat recording amp too, the 1X12 makes it very manageable. Actually, I prefer using a Princeton or a Champ through a 10" speaker, but sometimes the situation calls for the bigger amps. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices. Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Rebelsoul wrote:
... although the 40w 2x12 sounds clean at low volumes,I haven't pushed it to the point of breakup inside,much.
I think although the Vibrolux would distort sooner,they have with what little experience I have had with them.

I guess it's kind of funny, strange, ironic, whatever you want to call it. I've always felt the VR had more clean headroom than the DR.

To all:
Regardless of which amp one is using and what past experiences may have been one can always tweak the amp to break up slightly later or slightly earlier by way of power tube bias adjustment and careful selection of the rectifier tube. It's not going to completely reshape the tone but there can be a small but noticeable difference.

I think the more important issue is how a person wants their amp to behave regarding dynamics. That's where the true difference between these amps lies, IMO. The DR has more natural compression to my ears than the VR and as such can tend to be just a bit muddier. That's not always a bad thing as the DR is a much more forgiving amp in the hands of lesser skilled players. The VR is a much sharper scalpel with a significantly wider dynamic range. This can make the amp seem to be an "expert only" amp as it will make your mistakes glaringly obvious but will reward your precision and clean playing with a sweeter tone and greater expressiveness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yeah BMW, your analogy of apples and oranges is pretty accurate. Although the two amps share nearly identcal pre amp sections, the 6V6 and the 6L6 power sections coupled with the different speaker array(1X12 versus 2X10) can really make a difference. Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I had a 64 VR and as much as I loved that amp it's a bit loud for your purposes. I'd go with the DR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I had a 64 VR and as much as I loved that amp it's a bit loud for your purposes. I'd go with the DR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:25 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I'd go with the DR. 40 watts is to much for home use.

65 Princeton reverb re-issue
2010 Guild Gad-F40e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:55 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Dutchy wrote:
I'd go with the DR. 40 watts is to much for home use.
I've seen that statement several times and on one hand yeah 40w can be too much and otherwise it isn't.
It depends on what sound you're going for and how hard you're pushing the amp.
Really,the whole 22 vs. 40 vs 80 vs 100 watts is not as clear cut as that....meaning a 40 w is not twice as loud as a 20 watt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:49 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

This is so true. 40 watts isn't twice as loud as 22 watts. It's only a couple db difference. You'll get more headroom from a 40 watt amp though.