It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Seen the new david gilmour strat yet?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:53 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This american beauty is a FACTORY SPECIAL RUN OF 40 UNITS commissioned by the Willis Music company.
Model#: 170083

color: 782 candy tangerine

special dark side of the moon wiring

I was lucky enough to snatch one of these. There was 20 left after i bought mine. About 1,350 after tax was the cost. I'm in love with this baby

EDIT: It is not his signature. here are the full specifications

Model name: American Standard Stratocaster

Model number: 170083

Series: American standard series

Color: 782 candy tangerine

Body: Alder

Neck Maple, Modern "C" shape
(matching candy tangerine gloss headstock face with satin urethane finish on back of neck-silver headstock logo)

Fingerboard: maple 9.5" radius (241 mm)

No. of frets: 22 medium jumbo frets

Pickups: # American strat single-coil pickups

Controls: master volume, Tone 1 (Neck pickup)
Tone 2. Delta tone
(Delta tone system includes high output bridge pickup and special no-load tone control for Middle and bridge pickups)

Pickup switching: 5-position blade (SPECIAL DSOTM WIRING)

Bridge: 2-point synchronized tremelo with new american standard bent steel saddles.

Machine heads: Fender deluxe staggered Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines

Hardware: chrome

Pickguard: 4-ply aged white pearl

Scale length: 25.5" (648 mm)

Width at nut: 1.685" (42.8 mm)

Unique features:
New bent saddles with elongated string slots
copper infused high mass 100% metal bridge stock
thinner undercoat finish for improved body resonance
Tinted neck
Maple fingerboard neck: satin finish on back
4-bolt neck attachment with micro tilt adjustment
Bi-flex truss rod system
parchment knobs and pickup covers
rolled fretboard edges
H/S/H pickup routing

Thats all the specifications.
"DAVID MADE IT FAMOUS. WILLIS MADE IT AVAILABLE!"

I love it, My first U.S.A strat. Neck plays like butter : )

Last edited by stratguy740 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: ???????????????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:27 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

What, exactly, is DSOTM wiring, lol?! Its gotta be really special, as Dave has never played ANYTHING remotely like the specs of this guitar...

Are you sure Willis Music knows the difference between David Gilmour and David Spade?

I just can't see ANY correlation between this guitar and Gilmour, whatsoever...

Post subject: Re: Seen the new david gilmour strat yet?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:07 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

URL=http://img44.imageshack.us/i/fenderdarksideguitar930.jpg/]Image[/URL]

If you are pleased with this instrument, by all means, enjoy it. It certainly is attractive and, if it plays well, so be it. 8)

Please understand that our observations are not intended to take the thunder out of your acquisition, but what with the completion of the Black Strat project, and all the detail correctness of the Gilmour Relic, or even the NOS, for that matter, I, as well, can't imagine what the vendor had in mind. Had the guitar been fitted with an EMG-DG-20 prewired pickguard assembly you'b be far closer to the truth with respect to a "red' Strat, and even closer if it had been white, as a nod to the other '57RI he owns.

One of our major concerns on this Forum is fairness to the consumer and the elimination of misrepresentation or out right fraud. It being an FSR lends confidence to its veracity, however, the vendor's tying it with Gilmour or Pink Floyd is another issue.

Do you know what pickups are in your guitar. Perhaps those chosen for the Gilmour? You certainly don't have the mini-toggle controlled circuitry characteristic of The Black Strat.

Doc :wink:

Last edited by ZZDoc on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

On "Dark Side of the Moon" David used the black strat with stock wiring and stock pickups.
If they mean it has standard pickups and wiring then I guess that would be right. :wink:

I really don't see anything special about it other than the matching headstock.

That being said it looks like a really nice guitar. Congratulations. :D

Last edited by flanker35 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Definitely!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:11 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

For sure, it is a beautiful Strat! Ive always dug the orange color. I dig it the most! I just cant fathom what it has to do with DG! Maybe there's a David Gilmour that WORKS at Willis Music, and its in honor of him...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:36 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Cool looking guitar. Sorry your parade got pissed on alittle. I guess sometime in DG,s life he could have played a guitar like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This is the picture that was on the paper with all the specifications. When i first bought this strat, the guitar in that picture looked like it. But now when i look closer it is clearly his red strat. Hmmmmm...

Post subject: Sorry about the ribbing you took earlier
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:42 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

But, seriously, you should tell the shop that they have misrepresented this guitar. Its a cool guitar, and if you like it, keep hanging onto it. But, someone really needs to let Willis Music know that the guitar they commissioned has absolutely nothing to do with their so called DG Edition"

The guitar Dave's playing in the pic you show is a 1983 model of a 1957 reissue in candy apple red. Pic was taken in the early to mid 90s, btw.

The guitar in the pic has an EMG DG20 setup, meaning 3 EMG SA single coils with EXG Expander and SPC Presence control in place of the 2 tone knobs. Dave went to EMGs during the late 80s and 90s due to interference and noise from the large lighting setups on the Waters-less tours. If you want to call this special wiring, I guess it qualifies, but this wiring CANNOT be used with out EMG pickups. They are an active system, and this wiring scheme only works for them, if you dont have a battery in your guitar, or you have polepieces on your pickups, you dont have them. Period. BTW, there is also no such thing as special DSOTM wiring, as my cohort pointed out, during the recording of that album, Dave used a stock black Strat with rw fretboard, stock fender pickups and no special wiring at all.

Phil Taylor, his guitar tech, chopped the (vintage six-point) trem arms to 4.25 inches to allow him to palm the arm while playing.

Seriously, Gilmour has NEVER been associated with any modern Stratocaster with 2 point bridge, nor the color candy tangerine, nor a Strat with a matching headstock.

You paid pretty much the going price for a modern American STD, and thats what you have. Besides a custom color, and a matching headstock, which are both way cool, you have a run of the mill Fender American Standard Strat. After typing this, I'm actually pretty angry with Willis Music, and will be calling them tomorrow for more information on this. I seriously feel they have misrepresented this guitar to you. I urge you to call them, too. If I were you, I'd like PLENTY of answers all around...

1 Davids Strat is red, with no matching headstock
Yours is Candy Tangerine with a matching headstock
2 Davids Strat is a 1983 American Vintage 1957 reissue
Yours is a 2008-2009 Fender American Standard Strat
3 Davids has a vintage correct 6 point fulcrum tremelo bridge w/ chopped arm. Yours has modern 2 point fulcrum tremelo bridge with full length arm.
Davids is outfitted with EMG pickups with EXG and SPC replacing tone 1 and 2 (active)
Yours has stock Fender pickups (passive)

I'm not trying to be the devil or his advocate here, I promise. I seriously congratulate you on obtaining a very cool guitar! But, if Willis is advertising this as a Gilmour-style, they are either completely ignorant of the artist and his gear, or they are committing fraud, big-time

Ill call them tomorrow, and post their explanation here

Any other questions you have, you can email me at troy.wilson@ttspickups.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:48 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

stratguy740 wrote:

This is the picture that was on the paper with all the specifications. When i first bought this strat, the guitar in that picture looked like it. But now when i look closer it is clearly his red strat. Hmmmmm...

To do that guitar as pictured you'd need a '57RI in Fiesta Red with the electronics swapped out for the EMG SA's with their tone expander and boost circuit.

Don't grieve for your purchase.. Judging from the specs editied in, you've a rather unique American Standard Strat there and, what's more important, you like it.

Of course, you can always swap out the stock pickups for an EMG DG-20. I did that with a '97 American Standard about that many years ago. It should look really good in that guitar. If you decide to do it, contact us first. There are some options for stowing the 9V battery you might consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

thank you very much hot rod. I will post a picture of the "flyer" later after i get some sleep. This really upsets me. The flyer says "DAVID MADE IT FAMOUS... WILLIS MADE IT AVAILABLE!) and has that exact picture on it. and on the bottom it says "we call it the dark side!". and another thing i was concerned about was it has no "made in U.S.A" on back of the headstock. I dont know ALOT about american strats but i do own a MIM strat. i saved up for awhile to get an american and i saw this and bought it right away. Is it okay for it not to say "made in U.S.A"? i still love the guitar and feel of it, but i would like to see what willis has to say. thanks again hot rod

Post subject: I agree with zzdoc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I agree with everything zzdoc says, well, almost everything, lol. the 57ri of DGs is CA red, not Fiesta.

But, seriously, there are a couple options. You can go the EMG route for the Momentary Lapse and Division Bell tones, or you can go for the earlier stuff.

I am part owner in an upstart company called TTS Pickups. I'm currently working on a set that replicates DGs WYWH, The WALL, and Final Cut tones. Check out what we have so far at ttspickups.com

I'm working on a set called Crazy Diamonds that should easily replicate DGs tones from about 1971 to 1985 and again since 2005, when he switched back to passive pickups

Troy
troy.wilson@ttspickups.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

stratguy740 wrote:
thank you very much hot rod. I will post a picture of the "flyer" later after i get some sleep. This really upsets me. The flyer says "DAVID MADE IT FAMOUS... WILLIS MADE IT AVAILABLE!) and has that exact picture on it. and on the bottom it says "we call it the dark side!". and another thing i was concerned about was it has no "made in U.S.A" on back of the headstock. I dont know ALOT about american strats but i do own a MIM strat. i saved up for awhile to get an american and i saw this and bought it right away. Is it okay for it not to say "made in U.S.A"? i still love the guitar and feel of it, but i would like to see what willis has to say. thanks again hot rod

The great thing about this forum is that there's always another source to refine the information base. The correction on the finish is appreciated. For the benefit of the readers, I've just come off the Willis Music site, They ran an event featuring "The Fender Darkside Guitar"......'the sounds of the Darkside of The Moon."

You can end run around Willis by contacting Fender's consumer relations department and get the specifics on this FSR order of Willis', asking them where the guitars were built. Go up top to Support>Consumer Relations. You have a phone number there and an email address.You might also inquire of the company if they feel that Willis misrepresented this guitar. You may have legal recourse if our discussions have soured you on ownership.

Stay in touch with us on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Good idea, Doc! And to Stratguy, if you love the guitar, play it, own it, love it!!!! Dont be soured or upset. EVERYTHING on that guitar points to it being an American Standard. Its a bad mama-jamma, and unique as hell!

I'd play the crap outta it!

Troy HRH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Okay well i was just on http://williseastgate.blogspot.com/ and it says i should receive a certificate of authenticity from Fender and Willis music, signed by both company presidents with my purcahse? I did not receive such and now i am very pissed. I will be calling willis music tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:21 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

stratguy740 wrote:
Okay well i was just on http://williseastgate.blogspot.com/ and it says i should receive a certificate of authenticity from Fender and Willis music, signed by both company presidents with my purcahse? I did not receive such and now i am very pissed. I will be calling willis music tomorrow.

You should know that Fender's COA's are, to the best of my knowledge and belief, issued only for Custom Shop built instruments. What ever they are representing to you would be of interest to us all. I think a call to Fender should precede your contacting Willis. Give them all the information regarding their promotion, your purchase, and a discussion of a COA.