It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 1966 Fender Mustang Restoration
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:29 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi all, I am about to attempt a restoration on my dads 1966 Fender Mustang. The biggest issue right now is to re-wire the entire thing. I haven't check yet whether it needs anything new electronically, but I really could use a wiring diagram. I checked Fender's web site and I would have to order it I think!!?? I was just wondreing if there are any of you vintage lovers out there that can lend a helping hand; even if it is over cyber land!

Thanks
Joe
8)

Post subject: Re: 1966 Fender Mustang Restoration
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:04 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

joe_roadhouse_strat wrote:
Hi all, I am about to attempt a restoration on my dads 1966 Fender Mustang. The biggest issue right now is to re-wire the entire thing. I haven't check yet whether it needs anything new electronically, but I really could use a wiring diagram. I checked Fender's web site and I would have to order it I think!!?? I was just wondreing if there are any of you vintage lovers out there that can lend a helping hand; even if it is over cyber land!

Thanks
Joe
8)

Here you go:

http://www.jag-stang.com/wp-content/upl ... ematic.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:22 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Does the Mustang really need restoration?If all the finish wiring and hardware are in original condition I'd leave it alone.I learned the hard way years ago when I had a completely original 65 Strat refinished that it was the worst thing I could do.After the refinish the guitar was only worth 20-25% of it's true value.I'd advise you and anyone else considering such a project to give it much thought before doing something irreversable.It's quite alright to make regular maintenence adjustments but anything else could prove costly.Of course if it has already undergone a restoration the damage has been done and another go at wouldn't matter.

'65 Strat,65 Mustang,65 Jaguar,'00 LH Strat,'04 50th Ann.Strat,06 Stratacoustic,'06 MIM Tele,'69 Bassman,'68 Bassman 2-15 cab.'64 Gretsch Tennessean,'74 Guild S100SC,'66 Leslie Model16 +other asst'd guitars&amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes unfortunately someone screwed it up before my dad got it years ago and stripped the paint off it. It has been sitting around for years and needs not only to be refinished but "some" new wiring. I took a good look at it and I am a little confused as to what is actually original on it concerning the pickgaurd and one of the switches. The "date of birth" is 16May1966B I was thinking that means it was originally blue because of that 'B' but I'm am not certain that those guitars came in blue and had the tortoise shell red pickgaurd. ??? I always thought the guitar was originally white because of the pickgaurd but now that I have seen the date of birth with that 'B' on the end I am not so sure.

As well, it has one black switch and one white switch and white pickups. I had thought that they came in either white pups and white switches or black pups and black switches but what do I know.

In my personally opinion it really makes me sad and pissed that someone did this to this guitar.... a shame that it lost its value... but nonetheless IT IS a 1966 Fender Mustang.... and that is still really cool.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:26 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hmmmmmmm....... hold that note...... I just saw a guys dakota red 66 Mustang and it has a date of birth 11Aug66B.... Maybe the "B" doesnt mean blue! So then the question remains was this a special freak model that came with one white switch and one black switch???!!!! LOL

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:28 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

FYI and as I remember it:

Regarding the neck date, the numbers before the month does not mean the exact day. Rather, it refers to the the scale of the neck. The Mustang for your year (and '65) came standard with a 24" scale neck with 22 frets as standard. This was "16". There was also an optional 22.5" scale with 21 frets. Again, as I remember it, this was, "11".

AUG66 is self-explanatory.

The "B" means it is a normal sized neck as opposed to "A" which indicates narrow and "C" which indicates wide.

As to the white switch, the odds are overwhelming that it isn't original to that guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:01 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey thx for the info it really helps! I didn't know that about the date and scale of neck.

Ya I know I wouldn't believe for a second that both of the sitches are original becuase of the white and black combo. However both switches look as old as 66 so to say the least it was an early fix. Or who knows maybe it is and we are wrong.

As for the clour, their is a bit of paint on the neck slot of the body and from what I can tell I see the blue but I also feel like I see a little white so I'm just not sure what the original clour was. I have seen some pictures on-line of blue stangs with that tortise red pickgaurd but don't know if that was original or not. So when I have it refinished I want to do it in it's original clour hence the delema.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:16 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

joe_roadhouse_strat wrote:
Hey thx for the info it really helps! I didn't know that about the date and scale of neck.

Ya I know I wouldn't believe for a second that both of the sitches are original becuase of the white and black combo. However both switches look as old as 66 so to say the least it was an early fix. Or who knows maybe it is and we are wrong.

As for the clour, their is a bit of paint on the neck slot of the body and from what I can tell I see the blue but I also feel like I see a little white so I'm just not sure what the original clour was. I have seen some pictures on-line of blue stangs with that tortise red pickgaurd but don't know if that was original or not. So when I have it refinished I want to do it in it's original clour hence the delema.

8)

You're quite welcome. You did catch the link to the Mustang wiring diagram I posted for you?

Incidentally, I went into my archives and did some research. 1964 Mustangs that came in white had the red tortoise pickguards and the white slider switches OEM.

Good luck with your project!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Martian wrote:

Regarding the neck date, the numbers before the month does not mean the exact day. Rather, it refers to the the scale of the neck. The Mustang for your year (and '65) came standard with a 24" scale neck with 22 frets as standard. This was "16". There was also an optional 22.5" scale with 21 frets. Again, as I remember it, this was, "11".

The "B" means it is a normal sized neck as opposed to "A" which indicates narrow and "C" which indicates wide.

As to the white switch, the odds are overwhelming that it isn't original to that guitar.

I believe the the A B or C denotes the production shift the guitar was mfgd.
and the date is just that. I know that my Mustang has a mfg date of 8 Nov
64 B. I take this to mean it was mfgd on that date during the second shift. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

diligaf2010 wrote:
Martian wrote:

I believe the the A B or C denotes the production shift the guitar was mfgd.
and the date is just that. I know that my Mustang has a mfg date of 8 Nov
64 B. I take this to mean it was mfgd on that date during the second shift. :wink:

You are correct for your instrument (1964). The dating method of the necks changed in late 1965 / early 1966 to the system I've denoted above for his guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The A,B,&C is as Martian noted in reference to neck width with A being the thinnest.I had a 79 Strat with an A neck and it was noticably thinner than my 65 B neck.This info is also written in Fender info I have buried somewhere,I'll try to find it.

'65 Strat,65 Mustang,65 Jaguar,'00 LH Strat,'04 50th Ann.Strat,06 Stratacoustic,'06 MIM Tele,'69 Bassman,'68 Bassman 2-15 cab.'64 Gretsch Tennessean,'74 Guild S100SC,'66 Leslie Model16 +other asst'd guitars&amps.