It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Humbucker in mustang???
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

When you put a seymour duncan jb in a mustang its not supposed to have coil splitting when wired correctly to the phase switching, right?? I just had a jb installed and when I touch the screws that hold it to the pickguard it buzzes pretty loudly, but only when the phase switch is towards the bridge. I called the shop that installed it and told him about this and he said its because thats when its split to a single coil. The wiring diagram that comes with the humbucker show four different ways of wiring. One is for coil splitting and another is phase switching. So I take it that if its splitting that he has wired it completely wrong. Am I correct???

Post subject: Re: Humbucker in mustang???
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

hydro9384 wrote:
When you put a seymour duncan jb in a mustang its not supposed to have coil splitting when wired correctly to the phase switching, right?? I just had a jb installed and when I touch the screws that hold it to the pickguard it buzzes pretty loudly, but only when the phase switch is towards the bridge. I called the shop that installed it and told him about this and he said its because thats when its split to a single coil. The wiring diagram that comes with the humbucker show four different ways of wiring. One is for coil splitting and another is phase switching. So I take it that if its splitting that he has wired it completely wrong. Am I correct???

I really, REALLY HATE reading stuff like this! :x :x :x

Apparently, you have a nice mess in there!!

Here's the correct way to do it. You can teach this to your, "tech" (and I use that term most loosely) after he refunds your money and then pays you to do it correctly:

Unsolder the OEM bridge pickup's black and white wires from their respective terminals on the slide switch.

Remove the OEM bridge pickup from the pickguard.

Install the Duncan pickup into the pickguard.

With the Duncan, solder the red and white wires together and neatly insulate the soldered connection with a piece of shrink tubing, electrical tape or you can even use the non-gauze part of a band-aid.

Solder the bare wire of the Duncan to ANY ground path inside the guitar. If either of the terms, "star grounding" or "ground loop" come up, tell said person these are concerns for certain amplifier sub-assembly components/circuits of varying voltages and are NOT applicable to your guitar's wiring.

Wire the green wire of the Duncan to the terminal where the black wire of the OEM pickup was.

Wire the black wire of the the Duncan to the terminal where the white wire of the OEM pickup was.

Ironically, even if the black and green wires were reversed, it wouldn't make a difference other than which way to throw that switch for it to be in or out of phase with the other pickup.

For your convenience, the following link is a Mustang wiring diagram.

http://www.jag-stang.com/wp-content/upl ... ematic.gif

Good luck!!!