It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Peavey Classic 30
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

I've got an opportunity to buy an excellent used Peavey Classic 30. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? I played it briefly and the sound was great. I've never owned a Peavey amp but its American made and reminds me a little of the Hot Rod amps from Fender. I'm aware of the problems some have encountered with the Hot Rods and wondered about the construction and quality of the Peavey tube amps. Your opinions are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:26 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I have an '03 Classic 30 which I purchased used (with modifications) about three years ago. It was my first real amp, it has JJ tubes and an attenuator added to it by the previous owner. But it's a solid amp that sounds great to me. And even though my Fender Deluxe VM has taken it's place as my go to gig amp, I don't plan on getting rid of the Peavey. It has a much different sound than my Fender, and I like having either of the tones to choose from.

As far as the construction of the Peavey goes, it's built better than any other amp I've ever seen for the price. I have a '79 Peavey T-60 guitar, and that thing is a tank. If you dropped a nuclear bomb on Houston, my Classic 30 and T-60 would make it through unscathed. :lol: If someone digs them up 1000 years from now, they're still going to work. I gigged with mine for two years and it never once failed me.

WARNING: Post may contain sarcasm, music humor or sci-fi references. Read with caution. Manufactured in a facility that also produces shameless self-promotion. If allergic to blues, please do not click the following link.

http://www.rebeccalaird.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:17 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I agree, IMO a great little amp. Pretty inexpensive new too. Really inexpensive used. EL 84's are a little subject to tube rattle in combos. I'd get some tube dampers for it. They're cheap and work pretty well. http://cgi.ebay.com/8-TUBE-AMP-PREAMP-D ... 56384261ce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 am 
Roadie
Roadie

Thanks for the input, I'm picking it up this afternoon. The tube dampers are a nice idea, I hadn't thought of. If Peavey can produce an amp this nice in the U.S.(around $600 new) it makes you wonder why others can't. I'm paying $350 for a nice used one that is a little over a year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Another inexpensive but impressive amp is the Bugera V22 and V55. Both great sounding amps, very cheap for tube amps ($350 and $500 respectively) and designed for home use too. Great amps for the money and price. Worth taking a look at.

facebook.com/313DBC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:08 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

DetroitBlues wrote:
Another inexpensive but impressive amp is the Bugera V22 and V55. Both great sounding amps, very cheap for tube amps ($350 and $500 respectively) and designed for home use too. Great amps for the money and price. Worth taking a look at.

Bugera is actually Behringer. They don't score too high in the well built and reliable categories. I had V22 crap out on me on the floor while I was trying it out. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Peavey Classic 30
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:33 am 
Roadie
Roadie

l88vette wrote:
I've got an opportunity to buy an excellent used Peavey Classic 30. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? I played it briefly and the sound was great. I've never owned a Peavey amp but its American made and reminds me a little of the Hot Rod amps from Fender. I'm aware of the problems some have encountered with the Hot Rods and wondered about the construction and quality of the Peavey tube amps. Your opinions are appreciated.

I've had mine for a couple of years now. I play it a lot, and it's had zero issues. The sound is different than the classic Fender sound - a little more warm and middy - but like you say, it sounds great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:58 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

63supro wrote:
DetroitBlues wrote:

Bugera is actually Behringer. They don't score too high in the well built and reliable categories. I had V22 crap out on me on the floor while I was trying it out. :roll:

I guess that can explain why Guitar Center stopped selling them. They had a V22 on Clearance for $300. Only item left.

facebook.com/313DBC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I'd steer clear of all budget tube amps. Bugera, Behringer have horrible reputations. The Champ 600 at $99 on sale is about what it's worth. They been showing up at my techs bench like crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:39 am 
Roadie
Roadie

I know it's hard to assess a product in only a few days but in my book the Peavey Classic 30 is a winner. Great tone for the blues and this thing is very well built. This is my first experience with Peavey and I have to say they are doing something right to be able to manufacture all their amps in the U.S. and charge a reasonable price. I guess it really can be done.