It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Indonesian Squier Stratocasters
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:37 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've read a lot about MIM and MIJ Squiers. I'd like to hear some opinions about the Indonesian Stratocasters. Also, how long have they been made there? Come on folks, enlighten me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a Telecaster Custom II with P-90 Duncan designed pickups.
I love that guitar, is so nice, cool, and comfortable!
I have an American standard Stratocaster, too, and I think that my Syngapur made Tele is a "cheaper" guitar, but not for that is as loser!
Very well made, in fact I have less string buzz on it, than on my American Strat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:55 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I have a 2000 Squier Affinity Strat, made in Indonesia. It and my MIM Fender Strat are my favorite guitars, ever. The Squier plays great, stays in tune and sounds great thanks to the Texas Specials I added. A Squier with a good set up can compete with a MIM Fender.

WARNING: Post may contain sarcasm, music humor or sci-fi references. Read with caution. Manufactured in a facility that also produces shameless self-promotion. If allergic to blues, please do not click the following link.

http://www.rebeccalaird.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:57 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've got two Indonesian Squiers, a 2000 Purple/Rosewood
Affinity & a 2002 Black/Maple 20th Anniversary Standard, &
i'd give them both two thumbs up for all the same reasons.

The Standard's got stock Alnico Vs, which i do like better than the stock
ceramics in the Affinity, but even the ceramics are sounding pretty good
after i dialed in the right heights for them (to my ear anyway) & i like that
all of my Strats sound different from each other, so it works for me.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that all Indo Squiers are great, because i'm
sure there are clunkers out there too, but, in my experience, i'm 2 for 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I picked up a 2004 Squier Strat Affinity made in Indonesia off of CL. After I changed the strings and did a little setup work on her, she isn't bad at all. Sounds good, decent action, comfortable, all-in-all a good little player.

PRS 07 CE22; 03 Santana SE; 12 Tremonti SE
Gibson 11 LP Studio Dlx
Martin 12 GPCPA4 RW
Bradley 77 LP Custom
Epi 11 ES339

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I picked one up, I think a 97 Strat Indo for a kid's birthday but to my surprise it's actually a nice Strat. After a setup and some adjustment it makes a decent player. Not close to my 70's Strat, smaller body, much lighter and the radius on neck is wrong for me but I could see someone gig with it.

Post subject: Indonesian made Squiers FANTASTIC craftsmanship !!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I've have a 2008 Squier Tele Custom w/stock humbuckers made in Indonesia and I am pleased with evey aspect of it. As an "out of the box" guitar it's FANTASTIC, not one sharp fret and all the frets are polished evenly. As with almost all current Fender/Squier products the tone is SUPERB with real "humbucker growl", the pots respond well and the hardware needs NO upgrade. The tuning machines if cared for properly will last a lifetime or more. Most important the satin neck is lightning fast. The "glass like" finish is flawless, I can see myself clearly in the reflection from it's gloss black body.

I sold my '08 Squier Deluxe Stratocaster NOT because it failed me but because I was offered a Fender Lead II to replace a Lead Series guitar I sold in '91. The Indonesian made Deluxe Stratocaster equipped w/Duncan Designed pickups is capable of emanating the true "soulful tone" of a single coil equipped Stratocaster. As with the Tele Custom above the neck is lightning fast, frets evenly finished with NO rough/sharp edges and all hardware sufficient for even the most finicky of owners. The white pearl paint is gorgeous and as with the Tele Custom above NOT a flaw to be found. The Duncan Designed pickups are overlooked by many, if one disregarded the place of manufacture and took the time to play the Deluxe Stratocaster made in Indonesia instead of one of those Strats made in MexiNO they would choose the Deluxe hands downs. I can't understand why so many guitarists choose to buy the MexiNO made Strat and then immediately incur the expense of changing the pickups when the Deluxe Stratocaster gives an awesome performance right out of the box.

Having shopped for months before making the two above purchases I can honestly say the Indonesia manufactured Squiers are far above the quality of MexiNO made Fender products. The craftsmanship is well beyond what is coming from south of the Grand River. There's a "new sheriff" in town and the Indonesian made Squiers have surpassed MexiNO for second place in the Fender line of manufacture right behind the good ole' USA. One must also realize the Vintage Modified Series being made in India is also "on par" or in my opinion better than the MexiNo made Fenders.

Post subject: Okay, so I'm not crazy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:45 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I don't really have a lot of experience with a lot of different guitars, so my opinion may not count for much. That said, I think my Indonesian Squier Standard Stratocaster is amazing. I thought maybe I was prejudiced or just crazy. Or that maybe I just got lucky and got the one pearl in the oyster bed. Great fretwork, finish, tone, and tuning stability. My only complaint is the sloppy trem arm, but all fenders are like that. She's Metalflake Black/Maple (I really wanted plain black). I never thought one could get such a well made instrument for $199. I feel like I got away with something.':D'

Thanks for the input, folks. Sorry it took so long to get back here.':oops:'

Post subject: Re: Indonesian Squier Stratocasters
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:06 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have an Indonesian Telecaster Custom that I bought used from a big chain store a few years ago. I saw it online and never saw any thing like it. Two Humbuckers on a Tele was very odd, the angled signal coil at the bridge and at the neck is the tone of them. I was a few weeks before I got to the store and was going to buy an Affinity Tele. I by dumb luck saw it on the rack, deep black paint and chrome hardware and the perfect maple fretboard. The price was $150.00 a low price for a guitar with all that cool stuff going on. I did have a Indonesian Strat Standard and knew the quality was very high.
This Tele Custom was perfect not a ding, scratch or any thing missing. I have MIA Fenders to compare it to and for tone, playability and the things you just can't measure this $150.00 guitar pulls ahead. I have several and most I had to change some thing but the Tele I did nothing but new strings each 6 weeks. I gig with it and no body thinks low price once they hear this gem.[color=#BFFFBF][/color]