It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hot Rod Deluxe Mods
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:36 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Is there any mods i could do to make my HRD have a raw rock/ vox kind of tone that would still be suitable for heavy rock and alternative punk stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:43 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Stick JJ tubes n for the nicest clean I think possible on these amps and then just drive it with pedals.

CC

Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Deluxe Mods
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:01 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

cravelp1115 wrote:
Is there any mods i could do to make my HRD have a raw rock/ vox kind of tone that would still be suitable for heavy rock and alternative punk stuff.

Hi, in my experience with the HRD, for distortion, it sounds amazing with an old korg digital multieffects processor, the ax30g, in the clean channel.

My old digital box died, and purchased a boss metal zone pedal, that, with the 2 distortions of the amp, u can play about anything, so my point is that sounds great with distortion pedals too.

But only with the amps distortion, i find it hard, the amps dist is very muddy.

Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Deluxe Mods
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:32 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Vintage Blonde wrote:
cravelp1115 wrote:

Hi, in my experience with the HRD, for distortion, it sounds amazing with an old korg digital multieffects processor, the ax30g, in the clean channel.

My old digital box died, and purchased a boss metal zone pedal, that, with the 2 distortions of the amp, u can play about anything, so my point is that sounds great with distortion pedals too.

But only with the amps distortion, i find it hard, the amps dist is very muddy.

ya i have a visual sound jekyll and hyde, a tube screamer, Blues driver, ds-1 and a multi effects thing and i can't get that raw rock, zz top ish tone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:01 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

ZZtop plays humbuckers thru a Marshall.Totally different animal.El34s vs 6l6s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:02 am 
Amateur
Amateur

A blues driver will net give a hard rock tone, you need humbucker pickups and an aggresive distortion pedal, my friend, get the metal zone and ease the gain a bit and you´ll sound exactly like zz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:45 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

IMHO Best mod for a HRDlx is to rebuild it into a PTP

Some rebuild kits are available from
http://www.torresguitars.com/tegraphics ... emods.html

Post subject: Hot Rod Mods
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:07 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/HRD_Mods.htm

Go to this site and get this done... I your not comfortable doing this get someone who can... I have a Blues Deville and just did this to my amp for about 15.00 worth of parts, I' also took the tone pot on Master Volume and put a audio in and what a differents... Before I did this mod the deville sounded like sht... Now the tone controls, drive and clean are so much more musical...The drive channel now sounds like a classic rock amp the way it should... I'm getting short black plate tubes and can't wate to here her mone... Do this mod and you wont be sorry... Clapton never sounded better know... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:52 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

peterp wrote:

Peter you beat me to it. :D

Any mods you make to the amp except tubes and a speaker change will void the warranty and if not done correctly will damage the thin cheesy single sided board and thin traces on the PCB. It will in all likelihood become a reliability nightmare.

Plus, just because some guy likes his mods don't mean you will like them. You won't get a Vox type sound out of a 6L6 powered amp period. Either get a Vox or try an Egnater or Orange amp.

Why buy an amp if you need to mod it into something it ain't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:17 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

problem with mods is , once there are done you are stuck with it.HRs are not great candidates for mods.I would go after something you really like.Let your ear be the guide.The egnater is a great versitile amp.Cant wait to get one.Awesome concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:36 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

63supro wrote:
peterp wrote:

Any mods you make to the amp except tubes and a speaker change will void the warranty and if not done correctly will damage the thin cheesy single sided board and thin traces on the PCB. It will in all likelihood become a reliability nightmare.

Plus, just because some guy likes his mods don't mean you will like them. You won't get a Vox type sound out of a 6L6 powered amp period. Either get a Vox or try an Egnater or Orange amp.

You might be a professional on something but it aint on amps...IMO...
You can listen to these guy's that are so wise or try the mod and yes you can reverse to back to original by yes putting the stuff you took out back in just make a list of what you did before you started... This is not rocket science... I have been working on amps ,guitars for the past 30 years and I'm telling you this mod will get you close to a vox... Do it and see for yourself or you can spend hundreds more for some shop that is going to do the same mod... Your call... or go spend thousands on a Egnater or orange... Your call... Just remember how do you think these overpriced amps got started... Right by modding Fenders and Marshall amps...Peace...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:09 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Littlezeke wrote:
63supro wrote:
peterp wrote:

You might be a professional on something but it aint on amps...IMO...
You can listen to these guy's that are so wise or try the mod and yes you can reverse to back to original by yes putting the stuff you took out back in just make a list of what you did before you started... This is not rocket science... I have been working on amps ,guitars for the past 30 years and I'm telling you this mod will get you close to a vox... Do it and see for yourself or you can spend hundreds more for some shop that is going to do the same mod... Your call... or go spend thousands on a Egnater or orange... Your call... Just remember how do you think these overpriced amps got started... Right by modding Fenders and Marshall amps...Peace...

First off I not a kid, been playing for over 40 years. Second I use lower wattage amps except for my Twin. The Egnater wasn't much more than that tone turd HRDlx I had that wouldn't operate more than a month or two at a time. If you truly knew your amps, you would know how poorly designed and built the HRDlx really is. The Egnater Rebel 20 is built light years ahead of the HRD series. Thick, double sided boards with plated eyelets, quality components, no ribbon connectors, and heat sinks where needed. If you think you can make a Fender sound like a Vox, you really need to play one of the overpriced Vox amps. Everything is wrong with the HRD from the power and preamp tubes to the cheesy farty sounding Eminence Legend speakers. It couldn't be further from a Vox.

My POS HRDlx had bad solder joints on the tube sockets, the 5 watt cement resistors went bad too as well as the power supply caps. All within a few months. That was without even modding the thing. LOL

To even suggest modding a HRD series amp is pretty irresponsible. Glad you never worked on any of my gear. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:10 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

i thought this was a fender web site...?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Last time I checked, Fender manufactured my HRDlx. If they did a better job I'd still own it.

I was discussing the difference between an amp you could mod and one you shouldn't and why you can't make a HRDlx sound like a Vox.
Sorry if you're offended. But not everything Fender makes is incredible and wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

1st I can't speak for the HRD, I have a 1995 Blues Deville and I agree with you that Fender dropped the ball on this design... It sounds like you got a lemon, and why did you not return it? Or maybe you did? I also agree that there are better amps but I think your lost what the question was? I'm just giving a fellow player what he asked for... Advice on mods if he was asking " I bought a piece of $@!& amp should I sell it and what should I buy?" Then I can see you having a right to put you 2 cents in... I had a piece of $@!& and now I love the sound I'm getting and maybe he wont like the sound if he does it to his... Then I think he's smart enough to sell his HRD and buy something else... I have a problem with people like you that had a bad amp and every amp now is $@!&... Maybe if you did some mods on yours you would of liked the out come... Or maybe not...