It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Maple fretboard
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:12 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,
I am having a bit of a dilema about maple vs rosewood fretboard.
As much as I love the look of maple I can't help but wonder how long it takes before the lacquer on the wood wears out and the fretboard starts to get diirty; and by dirty I mean it starts to get grayish. I would also think that once the lacquer wears off you can see a difference in appearance in those places without it being dirty.
How hard is it to upkeep?
Also, since there is not another layer of wood as the glued rosewood on maple adding strength would it be more prone to distortion?
Ronald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:49 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Nevin1985 wrote:
Chances are you will never wear out the maple boards Fender is putting out now, they are not some raw chunk of maple, they are poly coated... for the most part.

It will take years. Probably decades.

it takes a pretty long time for the finish to wear down on a Fender maple finger board. It would take several years of intense playing. By that time the rest of the guitar would have earned enough battle scars that it will add to the beauty and mystique of your Strat.

Also, even rosewood can show wear marks on the finger board too. And this too would take years too. It all depends on how you play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:26 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sir I think that 1 piece maple necks aren't going to warp unless theire something fundamentaly wrong with the particular bit of maple. If you look at this from 95

Its had plenty of hammer, an inordinate amount infact. The lacquer is wearing off in patches on the board. That started around last year. Trust me though that guitar hasnt been treated like a normal guitar would be. Its spent most of its life as a workhorse/testing board. Ofcourse its just not complete without a pink nintendo DS to keep it company.

Last edited by nikininja on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:50 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I for one really like the laquered maple neck. Me thinks, if you get wear patterns on the fboard, you must be alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:54 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hi RonaldD: here's Eric Clapton's "Blackie" - or is it the replica?

Eric wore through the fingerboard lacquer, had it resprayed over the dirty marks produced, then wore through it again. I think it was then resprayed a second time, along with its second refret. All of that took him 17 years (if memory serves) before he retired the guitar.

However, that neck was finished with relatively soft nitrocellulose. These days all Fender necks across the catalog are finished in polyurethane (not to be confused with polyester used on MIM bodies), with the exception of a few Reissue type models which still use period correct nitro.

Urethane is very hard wearing, so it'll last you a good long time - which is why they use it on necks. And if yours does ever show signs of wearing through you can always have a couple more coats sprayed on top for years more wear.

In fact, your frets will wear out faster than the urethane lacquer. And with maple fingerboards a respray is often part of the refretting process, so in practice you are unlikely ever to reach wood through that finish.

Play your Strat with confidence!

Cheers - C

PS: OK yes, the picture indeed shows Fender's replica Blackie, not the original. Could you tell...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

How do the satin finish maple fretboards (such as on my 2009 MIM Strat) compare to the gloss finished necks, wear-wise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Bathead wrote:
How do the satin finish maple fretboards (such as on my 2009 MIM Strat) compare to the gloss finished necks, wear-wise?

Hi Bathead: it's the same urethane lacquer. It just hasn't been buffed to a gloss.

Or I guess it could be a version of the lacquer mixed with a higher solids content - if you search around you can find aerosols of polyurethane lacquer with a choice of shininess, from gloss through satin to matt.

But it's essentially all the same stuff. Same wear properties.

Cheers - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:37 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I've got an MIM 1994 Tele and a MIM 1996 Tele and both necks show very little wear. In fact, the only place you can see wear is on the top edge of the board at above the 20th fret - and that's from my pick hitting the edge of the neck.

I love maple fretboards. Just feel right to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:21 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Can we at least get to the point where someone talks about SOUND??

Really, neck material has an impact on your guitars tone. Rosewood imparts a mellower tone, whereas one-piece maple will have more of a bright ring to it.

I could care less what a neck looks like, and as I have both types of necks, it's not a huge deal to me, but Maple will impact the feel and tone of your guitar. Make sure you understand that first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

:lol: i think people are tired of fighting over sound.

i think most people tend to agree that there is hardly a difference. i could be wrong. i have both aswell but not on the same guitar.

but i do know that my v-neck sounds better than my c shape. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:38 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yes, if you was to do a search you'll find that topic has been discussed to death. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:50 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

BlackedOut wrote:
Can we at least get to the point where someone talks about SOUND??

Really, neck material has an impact on your guitars tone. Rosewood imparts a mellower tone, whereas one-piece maple will have more of a bright ring to it.

I could care less what a neck looks like, and as I have both types of necks, it's not a huge deal to me, but Maple will impact the feel and tone of your guitar. Make sure you understand that first.

Sorry mate the tonal differences of maple and rosewood boards are negligable. I used to believe the same as you until I conducted this experiment. The same spec guitars bar the board into the most basic of amps and recorded in realtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emNlebBMdUw

Heres the original thread. 13 pages of it.

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21521&highlight=maple+versus+rosewood

Last edited by nikininja on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:03 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

.... AND I've done a test with the 2 American Series necks that I have, one maple, one rosewood, and found that the maple is brighter. Coincidence? I think not.

It's simple physics, a denser wood, ie maple, will have more sustain. I've been there, had the argument, bought the tshirt, and flown home.

Either way, I think it's retarded to pick a neck based on looks. Point blank, this forum seems to care a lot about what a guitar looks like, and not how it sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

hey nik,

might just be me but the video says malformed and won't begin...?

ps. thanks for finding the older post so it won't happen again. :P

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emNlebBMdUw
just had to take url out

Last edited by robt8500 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.