Fender Jazz Bass 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
Fender P-Bass 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Other *inferior* brand Bass 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:01 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Okay, i saw the product page on Fender's website for the Aerodyne Jazz Bass, and i instantly fell in love with it. I want anyone that owns one of these to post a review, stating the price you paid for it, and anything you like or dislike about it. And you don't have to, but if you want go ahead and throw in a picture or two of it. Thanks in advance everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:51 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2009/04/a ... odyne.html

I would take a Gun Metal Blue and a Vintage White, and maybe a Dolphin Grey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:16 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Zod showed the Non-export. I like those a lot better!

for those who know who Shaun White and and Dan Kass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PqyvHx ... D&index=40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:04 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

tommygunn wrote:

Indeed. There's also an aero jazz non export model that has a flame maple top and cream binding, like the aerodyne p bass, and it's really beautiful.

I wish some of the CIJ non-export models were easier to come by, there's some fantastic basses. A lot of interesting plays on vintage basses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:48 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

anubis16 wrote:
tommygunn wrote:

Indeed. There's also an aero jazz non export model that has a flame maple top and cream binding, like the aerodyne p bass, and it's really beautiful.

I wish some of the CIJ non-export models were easier to come by, there's some fantastic basses. A lot of interesting plays on vintage basses.

is the non-export model also called the aerodyne, or is it called something different? Also, what are the features of it? Finally, how much does the non-export cost? If it's very much over $1000 i probably can't get it. I would say $1200 is the max i can spend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:24 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The one displayed is not called the Aerodyne, it's called the J craft. The aerodyne is the same model with a flame maple top, like the aero precision that fender used to sell.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/200 ... zzbass.htm

There's their site, it's all in japanese, but it's not that hard to navigate. They actually used to have way more products and only recently discontinued them. I *believe* the aero and j craft basses are the same specs as the aero jazz sold on this site, just with some aesthetic differences.

I actually don't know what the pricing is on these models.... mainly because it's hard to track down CIJ basses. They call em non-export for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:04 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

anubis16 wrote:
The one displayed is not called the Aerodyne, it's called the J craft. The aerodyne is the same model with a flame maple top, like the aero precision that fender used to sell.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/200 ... zzbass.htm

There's their site, it's all in japanese, but it's not that hard to navigate. They actually used to have way more products and only recently discontinued them. I *believe* the aero and j craft basses are the same specs as the aero jazz sold on this site, just with some aesthetic differences.

I actually don't know what the pricing is on these models.... mainly because it's hard to track down CIJ basses. They call em non-export for a reason.

Very helpful info there! I'll look around for the pricing on it, and if it's cheaper i'll buy that instead of the aero. Thanks man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:17 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

anubis16 wrote:
The one displayed is not called the Aerodyne, it's called the J craft.

I thought that they were called "Aerodyne Jazz Bass", since both of our links show them as AJB.
In any case, they are sweet looking basses.
A shot of the headstock. Note the small script Aerodyne J Bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:40 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

As I recall CIJ used to make an aerodyne J craft, as well as the normal j craft and the normal aerodyne. They've discontinued a lot of their models and I don't think they make the aero j craft anymore. I honestly am not sure what the difference between the aero j craft and the regular j craft is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:47 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Erf... don't quote me on that. It could be the J craft and the aero j craft are exactly the same, it's just named strangely on their site. The important thing is that there are essentially 3 different aero j basses: the regular one on this site, the j craft version, and the "aerodyne special" which has the flame maple top and binding. As far as I can tell all have the same electronics, and all have the pickups 1/2" closer to the neck than the aero p bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have recently purchased an export aerodyne J and I am quite happy.

I changed the stock bridge for a Hipshot A "Fender edition" and all the hardware to golden, now I am on a particular crusade against noise and hum.

The stock pickups are ok, the P sounds like you would expect and the J bridge sound is also good, I am now considering different options to get rid of the single coil hum and the electrical noises that this bass will pick in some locations, but the sound is solid. If this bass was quiet enough with the stock pickups I wouldn't care changing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

TBS wrote:

I changed the stock bridge for a Hipshot A "Fender edition" and all the hardware to golden, now I am on a particular crusade against noise and hum.

The stock pickups are ok, the P sounds like you would expect and the J bridge sound is also good, I am now considering different options to get rid of the single coil hum and the electrical noises that this bass will pick in some locations, but the sound is solid. If this bass was quiet enough with the stock pickups I wouldn't care changing them.

That sounds like a pretty sweet bass as it is (feedback isn't an issue to me). Would you be willing to trade it? Possibly for my pride and joy, my 1994 Fender "Cowpoke" P-Bass Deluxe?

The only thing wrong with it is the pickguard. Apparently the guy that sold it to me left it in a hot car, and as such the pickguard is warped somewhat and cracked in one place. Also, the active electronics sound great, but the battery life is a tad shorter than i'm used to. Think about it, and let me know. (good review by the way)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:20 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Sorry, but this one is a keeper, I finally had to shim the neck to get the action as low as I like without the fret buzz, now I have 45-105 strings on it but with a 45-100 set it is going to be a dream to play. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

pbassesrule wrote:
TBS wrote:

That sounds like a pretty sweet bass as it is (feedback isn't an issue to me). Would you be willing to trade it? Possibly for my pride and joy, my 1994 Fender "Cowpoke" P-Bass Deluxe?

The only thing wrong with it is the pickguard. Apparently the guy that sold it to me left it in a hot car, and as such the pickguard is warped somewhat and cracked in one place. Also, the active electronics sound great, but the battery life is a tad shorter than i'm used to. Think about it, and let me know. (good review by the way)

You seem very intent on trading this bass. You seem to like it, and I'm not sure why you want to get rid of it. A lot of people sell an instrument they love in the hopes to find something better, and in the end regret selling it. The cowpoke is an uncommon bass, and I think you'd be better off waiting until you have enough money to buy a new instrument rather than selling what you have now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:38 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

anubis16 wrote:
pbassesrule wrote:
TBS wrote:

You seem very intent on trading this bass. You seem to like it, and I'm not sure why you want to get rid of it. A lot of people sell an instrument they love in the hopes to find something better, and in the end regret selling it. The cowpoke is an uncommon bass, and I think you'd be better off waiting until you have enough money to buy a new instrument rather than selling what you have now.

What you've said is true, i do love it because it was my first bass. But...

The electronics are a pain to deal with. I've seen basses that can go 4500 hours without a battery change *cough the fodera monarch used by victor wooten*, and this one barely even goes through one gig without needing a new battery. Also, the action on it is terrible (almost two inches over the 22nd fret, even after adjusting the truss rod and the bridge, then taking it off and putting it back on).

These reasons have led me to believe that