It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Jazzmaster vs Jaguar
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am a Gretsch player, so I don´t know mucho bout fenders.. so some questions for the Fender people.

What is the main difference between the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar?

I like big sized guitars, so does these two have the same size body? Can anyone describe how they feel about these guitars..... And how is the action when using the tremolo bar... Does it stay tuned for a good time or not? What is recomended for Surf music?

Please give advice and tips about these two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I believe that both guitars have the same body, i don't own a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster but i loved to. But i played both, and for me, they sound the same, the major difference i think it's the look. They both have an amazing rich fat tone to them wich is perfect for Surf. But like i said i don't own those guitar. Maybe someone else could help you out more with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:36 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

They both have the same body and the same bridge/tremolo. The Jazzmaster has a standard Fender scale length while the Jaguar has shorter scale like a Gibson. Pickups are also different. They are both great for surf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:18 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I grabbed these from another forum. It shows some differences in body makeup

This is the comparing of the body to body

This is the comparing of the body with the heal of the necks aligned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:44 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hi Colaid. The Jaguar is essentially the child of the Jazzmaster. Their bodies are virtually identical, as sewkid's cool diagrams illustrate. The Jaguar was also the first Fender guitar with 22 frets, as opposed to the Jazzmaster's 21 frets. As gadabout mentioned, the Jazzmaster has the standard 25.5" scale length (like a Strat), while the Jaguar has a 24" scale length. Both have more complex switching than the Strat or Tele, creating an impressive variety of sounds. They are both well suited to surf music, but they are capable of much, much more. Both guitars have specially designed single-coil pickups, and those of the Jaguar have extra shielding.

Here are some sound clips from the Fender product pages:

American Vintage ‘62 Jazzmaster - http://www.fender.com/products//sounds/guitars/0100800.mp3
American Vintage ‘62 Jaguar - http://www.fender.com/products//sounds/guitars/0100900.mp3

I tested both guitars, and I found much to like about both of them. I ultimately chose the Classic Player Jazzmaster Special based largely on the standard scale length. I hope this helps! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:45 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Thank you for sharing!

Those overlays are positively enlightening for the detail-obsessed geek.

Regarding the axes, both are really fun. 'Believe a Gretsch player will like a JM a bit more due to longer scale and "big" pups.

That said, you can get a Classic Player of each for about the price of an American Vintage Reissue. Swap the pups out if you need to, for genuine AVRI Fenders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

i love my jag, took a bit getting used to the shorter neck scale, but it sounds good for doing alternative/industrial music., it does have a bit of a weight issue due to the electronics, but i dont think thats a big problem.