It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Whammy bar install on new strat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I apologize for the newbie questions, but I just bought a new American Standard HSS Strat and would like to attach the whammy bar. The manuals included with the guitar don't cover the subject. Do I just screw it in until it can't go in any further?

Secondly, the hole for the bar was covered with a silver sticker. After I took it off I noticed a small black spring on the floor. Does that spring go in the hole prior to the installation of the whammy bar?

Please help, as I can't wait to crank this sucker up!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:01 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yes, put the spring back in the hole and screw in until it will stay where you want it. Not to tight. :)
Sorry. Welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:06 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Great, thanks very much for the reply and the welcome. Just to clarify - - I should screw it in until the bar lays flat across the body? The only reason that I ask is because if I screw it in all the way it is in a weird position. This is my first REAL guitar so I would like to be careful with it. I also can't stop looking at it - - is that normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

No, don't screw it in all the way just far enough so that it will stay put where you want it and can be easily moved in any direction. Yes, looking at it is normal. :wink:

ps. Don't store your guitar in your case with the whammy bar installed. Leave the screw in the hole and put that tape back on the hole so you won't loose the spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks again for your prompt replies. Also, thanks very much for the storage tip - - I never would have known that if you hadn't pointed it out. One of these days I will have to post some pics of my new baby because, frankly, it is gorgeous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

We always welcome and look forward to new pictures!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:17 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

FWIW, I decided to keep the bar off. Too much trouble to worry about losing the spring and I don't think I'll really use the bar anyway.

Who uses their bar?

2008 Fender American Stratocaster
2008 Fender Deluxe Telecaster
Fender Power Jazz Bass Special 1987 (MIJ)
Egnater Renegade Head
Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:20 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Connic01 wrote:
Thanks again for your prompt replies. Also, thanks very much for the storage tip - - I never would have known that if you hadn't pointed it out. One of these days I will have to post some pics of my new baby because, frankly, it is gorgeous.

Hi Connic01: welcome to the Forum. Don't wait around - post those pics immediately so's we can all gaze at your guitar too!

:D - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:19 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

fhopkins wrote:
Don't store your guitar in your case with the whammy bar installed. Leave the screw in the hole and put that tape back on the hole so you won't loose the spring.

You can certainly store your guitar in the case with the bar installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:28 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

357mag wrote:
fhopkins wrote:
Don't store your guitar in your case with the whammy bar installed. Leave the screw in the hole and put that tape back on the hole so you won't loose the spring.

Yes you can but I would not. Why would you want pressure constantly pushing down on your trem springs? Not to mention storing your strings out of tune. But you certainly can. :? I guess you can set the bar facing your bottom strap button. Tell me why you would do it. Thanks! :)

Last edited by fhopkins on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

fhopkins wrote:
357mag wrote:
fhopkins wrote:

Yes you can but I would not. Why would you want pressure constantly pushing down on your trim springs? Not to mention storing your strings out of tune. But you certainly can. :?

Change the orientation of the bar so there will be no pressure on anything. It's not a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:47 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Would sure as heck hurt my Strats to close the lid on 'em with the whammy in place. It takes me a good seven or eight seconds to remove that bar and stick a little bit of tape over the hole to keep the spring in place.

I guess that must add up to many minutes of my life all together - but time well spent.

Anyway: Hop, there's pics posted with you in mind on the T-shirt thread...

:wink: - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:52 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Ceri wrote:
Would sure as heck hurt my Strats to close the lid on 'em with the whammy in place.

Anyway: Hop, there's pics posted with you in mind on the T-shirt thread...

:wink: - C

Okay Ceri, I'm going to look at them! Thanks :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:48 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks, everyone for your input here. This is the kind of stuff that Fender needs to put in their manuals.

Anyway, I attached the whammy bar and played around with it for awhile. It sounded cool, but actually seemed to be in the way and a bit of a bother.
HOWEVER, before I cause dissention with the whammy bar crowd, let me state that I am a self-teaching beginner just learning chords, so ANYTHING would be a distraction at this point. Once I start really shredding maybe the whammy bar will go back on. Luckily I had the little silver sticker that came with the Strat, so I removed the bar and plugged the hole so I wouldn't lose the spring. Just in case, does anyone know if Fender has the spring as an aftermarket item?

Post subject: Re: Whammy bar install on new strat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:13 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

(Yes, put the spring back in the hole and screw in until it will stay where you want it. Not to tight.
Sorry. Welcome to the forum!)

Ok I'm confused here. I just got my 2012 American Standard in today and I can't figure on how my whammy bar goes in. It's supposed to be a pop in. For the life of me I can't just pop it in. Don't quite understand what you guy's are talking about when you say " Just screw it in" All my other strats just screw in, but not my new one. I'm a big guy and I've tried pushing it , but it doesn't pop in. I do want to say thanks as far as the spring goes, because I didn't see it fall to the floor when I took off the sticker. Luckily it was still where it fell on the floor and I was able to find it.
I'm no beginner here I'v been playing for at least 28 years and I'm purplexed at best. Don't know why Fender didn't send directions with the guitar on this issue. Nothing on the websight either. Please advise ?? :? :?

2002 MIM Standard Stratocaster HSS
1999 Squier Affinity sratocaster HSS
2006 Gibson Premium Plus Studio Les Paul
2007 Ibanez Prestige Rg1570
2007 Peavey EXP HP