It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hot Rod Deluxe: Practice Settings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:11 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Those of you who own a 40 watt tube amp such as the monstrous HRD, please share some settings that are useful? What good is the "Input 2"? I saw one review that described it totally wrong - described it the way I wish it would have worked, but Input 2 was a slight attenuation is all that I could see.

I can't get past 2 on the volume at home, but while using the neck PU on my Strat I kind of get this muddy tone on the E & a strings (such as a power chord). I've turned the bass down a bit and even changed the neck PU.

Is it due to the low volume level? I know this is a good amp and I have a new Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the neck PU - but it is still tubby sounding. I play stuff like Iron Maiden, Dio, Ratt, Airbourne ...

It's really hard for me to find a good distortion out of this amp at volume levels below 3. I have an MXR Distortion III that I can put up front but the amp doesn't seem to respond very much to it.

Any ideas for a setup for sound like the bands I mentioned above? Does anyone think the Hot Rod Deluxe Python has a killer distortion sound?

Thanks for your input -

Post subject: practice levels on the HRDX
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Bro I had the same issue. I even found at some gigs I was to loud. I find I need to get that amp up past 2-3 to get it to warm up and sing but... at that level it is LOUD! I have heard of people using that volume pot trick through the fx loop but I have not tried it. I did however get a Blues Jr. and it is way more manageable volume wise. Loud enough to gig with and easier to get great tones at low levels. I know that is not and easy solution (shelling out for a new amp).

Post subject: Re: practice levels on the HRDX
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

moodus2006 wrote:
Hey Bro I had the same issue ... I did however get a Blues Jr. and it is way more manageable volume wise. Loud enough to gig with and easier to get great tones at low levels. I know that is not and easy solution (shelling out for a new amp).

Thanks for the reply, moodus2006 ... I bought a Peavey Vyper 15W 1x8 Friday. It sounds fantastic through headphones - it runs out of juice pretty quick and I might replace the speaker with an 8in Blue Marvel from another Peavey amp (not sure yet).

It can't compete with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but for what it does, it is pretty darn good (much better than my Line 6 Spider III I had). It's still not the answer though ... I've got to manage that HR Deluxe! Grrrrr ... I love that amp - it is suppose to be limited to on 500 units in the world.

Post subject: tame the beast!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:37 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have heard that the Weber attenuators (sp?) are real nice to drive your amp into that sweet spot but tame the volume. But the cost is equal to an amp! Is the vyper a battery powered amp? I found a used Zoom 707II effects processer that is spot on for pluging in headphones. I prefer the nature drive/tone of my amps for playing at real volumes but when the wife and kids are sleeping it is nice to have something to plug into that is quiet!

Post subject: Re: tame the beast!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:14 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

moodus2006 wrote:
I have heard that the Weber attenuators (sp?) are real nice to drive your amp into that sweet spot but tame the volume. But the cost is equal to an amp! Is the vyper a battery powered amp? I found a used Zoom 707II effects processer that is spot on for pluging in headphones. I prefer the nature drive/tone of my amps for playing at real volumes but when the wife and kids are sleeping it is nice to have something to plug into that is quiet!

Yeah, I've been looking at some attenuators - maybe get one used, but you're right - just about as much as an amp! So, I bought the Vyper:

This is a great practice amp - headphone sounds the best I've heard (I use expensive Sennheisers) and the MP3 input balances nice with the amp.

moodus2006 wrote:
Is the vyper a battery powered amp?

The Peavey Vyper is not a battery powered amp - it's AC ... 15 watt 1x8, solid state.

I am wondering if I can get a "metal" type pedal on put that on the front end of the clean channel - has anyone ever done this with a HR Deluxe? I'm just wondering if at low volume I could get some serious distortion that way. Here is the HR Deluxe Python that I am trying to tame:

The 15W Vyper is only good at low levels, really. The Fender Python is WAY better - all tube - but just too freakin loud to work with. I've got to find a pedal that will do the job ... suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 am 
Amateur
Amateur

The Hot Rod is tweakable at all levels. and high volume setting are not the same as low volume. Use the eq to extremes with this amp to get what you want.

First, Try these settings at low volume. Bright switch on--> bass on 2 or 3 --> treble, mids and presence somewhere around 7-9.

Second, a 50 watt Weber Load Dump is a very good attenuator that only cost $75. It is the best money you will ever spend if you have a hot rod. The expensive attenuators just aren't any better IMHO. A huge benefit is, once you have your clean cheannel set and drive channel set, you use the load dump as an overall master.

Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:56 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have been doing a lot of research on this and yes an attenuator is really the way to go. Not sure what you've all been looking at but prolux is right about the cost.

Have you seen this site? Very good info here:
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

2008 Fender American Stratocaster
2008 Fender Deluxe Telecaster
Fender Power Jazz Bass Special 1987 (MIJ)
Egnater Renegade Head
Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:05 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi,
It is most certainly loud, and i also have the extention cab.

My settings for practice are:

Volume 2
Bass 4
Middle 6
Treble 6

If you have active pickups turn your Guitar volume down a bit
As for input 2, invite a friend to play

You will have to experiment with your settings but these work great and sound great to me
Hope this helps

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:52 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the suggestions:

prolux wrote:
The Hot Rod is tweakable at all levels. and high volume setting are not the same as low volume ... First, Try these settings at low volume. Bright switch on--> bass on 2 or 3 --> treble, mids and presence somewhere around 7-9. Second, a 50 watt Weber Load Dump is a very good attenuator that only cost $75. A huge benefit is, once you have your clean cheannel set and drive channel set, you use the load dump as an overall master.

I typically have the bright switch on, bass on 5, treble, mid, and presence on 7 -- pretty much like you have except the bass. I have been looking at the Weber and THD Hot Plates. I may still pick up a Weber if I can find one for the price you are talking about - that's not bad. I'd still be a little worried about over taxing something, but I've read enough to know not to run the amp wide open with one. Do you have a link for a proper Weber Dump?

tomk62 wrote:
I have been doing a lot of research on this and yes an attenuator is really the way to go. Have you seen this site?
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

Yeah, I've bookmarked that site - I'd hate to mod this limited edition amp though :( Only 500 made which is another concern I have with adding an attenuator to it. Don't want to damage it.

Well, here's what I did today (also recently did Seymour Duncan PUs & Peavey amp) ... I bought an Electro-Harmonix Nano Pocket Metal Muff pedal.

I have an MXR Distortion III and, like many say, it is more like an overdrive pedal - it sounds fantastic with a volume of maybe 2.5 to 4.0, but less than 2 it's just not going to do right with this amp.

I went to the store and tried a HR Deluxe on the clean channel with the Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal -- there were three of us in the room and we all agreed that sounded aweful (still with a 2 on volume). Then we tried the Electro-Harmonix Nano ... awesome.

That does the job without having to over tax the transformer or tubes - perhaps its not exactly "tube distortion" (which I prefer) but no doubt about it, I can now play with a volume of 1 or 2 without any problems. Now the HR Deluxe has the "sound" that I was expecting for Dio, Iron Maiden, etc.

I don't think it is quite as good as the tubes breaking up on a volume level of 3 or 4, but it is close - a bit more 'metal' sounding than what you'd get from the tubes alone. The overdrive pedals just wasn't adding the distortion and there simply was no way to get that tube sound without cranking the amp up.

So, a pretty cheap non-taxing solution for something other than blues tones, you could get a 'metal' pedal and put it on the clean channel up front and dial the pedal back or turn it up -- the volume is perfect ... pretty much what I'd think 90% of those having troubles are looking for.

Glad that's over! LOL

Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Deluxe: Practice Settings
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I had all the Hot Rod problems everyone else has in the respect that it's just way too loud to get in its sweet spot anywhere, for a year i almost went and bought another amp like a swart or a small vox but i just did not want to lose that fender clean hot breakup as for my sort of blues playing everything else is a compromise. I purchased a THD hot plate attenuator. It was the best investment in musical gear i have ever made. this attenuator with the Hot Rod is just the perfect match. I have now that perfect clean hot break up at low DB now for playing small venues or at home without upsetting the whole street. If you own a Hot Rod i have the tweed one with the Jensen. DO NOT but another amp or any other volume pot crap just buy the 8ohm Hotplate and you will then have the most beautiful clean fender tone at what ever DB you want. This bit of gear makes this amp world class, If just one of you takes my advice it will have been worth the last five mins. I never write to gear pages but i just have to tell you this amp is so perfect with this attenuator. forget what anyone says who does not own one it's perfect clean tube driven gold at low volume. You'll miss a bit of speaker push but that is only 5% of the sound you get without it.

I must also ask what on earth are you searching for a iron madien sound out of a Hot Rod for?? Think SRV, Even though he doesn't use them Fruchante, Texas blues.....Iron Madien out of a Hot Rod???

Ps. The only sound you own this amp for is the gourgous clean fender drivin break up . Drive the clean channel with gear.... If you use it any other way your completely kidding yourself go and buy a solid state modeller....The drive and especially more drive channel on this amp is just not to miss the whole market, These channels are a muddy mess. But with sounds like the clean channels produce with a TS808 in front....Who cares!!!!!!! Rock!!!!!!
Out!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:22 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I agree. Because of the Linear Taper pot used in the older HRD series amps, the amp is just about running full tilt at about 4 on the volume dial. It was a marketing ploy to make you think the amp is much louder than it really is. Hot Rod, get it? It's hard to control. An attenuator will help, but every one I ever tried went back because it changed my tone. Also for the expense of an attenuator you can buy a decent practice amp. There are tons of affordable tube practice amps around. You bought the wrong amp to use as a practice amp unless you have no neighbors. I sold my HRDlx for that reason plus lots of reliability issues. Also, The HRDlx is NOT a Metal amp by any stretch of the imagination. If you want a great Metal amp, look at some of Egnater's offerings like the Renegade, Tourmaster or Armageddon series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

For 100$ I'd get (and did) a Fender Mustang I amp, it is a digital modeling amp not tube.
You can load presets to make it sound like most other Fender, as well as many other vendor amps.
And can include a whole load of pre and post effects if you want them, all built in and accessable through FUSE.

It's master volume lets you get completly dirty overdriven sound at very low volumes.

For practice and some other applications it is a hard to beat product, keep the loud tube units for gigging where their working volumes can be appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

When I had a HRDx I used a volume box in the effects loops and it made it much easier to dial in the volume at low settings. I set the clean channel volume to 7 and dial in the ouput volume with the box. It took out the sudden jump in the clean channel volume knob. For $20 bucks it's a cheap and easy fix. I also tried swapping out some of the tubes but had minnimal results. My practice settings were Bass - 10, Treb - 7, Mid - 4, Presence - 7, Reverb - 3.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:54 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Voodoo Blues wrote:
When I had a HRDx I used a volume box in the effects loops and it made it much easier to dial in the volume at low settings. I set the clean channel volume to 7 and dial in the ouput volume with the box. It took out the sudden jump in the clean channel volume knob. For $20 bucks it's a cheap and easy fix. I also tried swapping out some of the tubes but had minnimal results. My practice settings were Bass - 10, Treb - 7, Mid - 4, Presence - 7, Reverb - 3.

It's not really a "fix" so to speak. You won't really get good natural distortion that way. Also be aware that if you use an attenuator and crank the amp for distortion, you'll wear the tubes out just as fast as you would if you cranked your amp without it. The way I fixed mine was to sell it on Craigs List and buy a better designed, more practical amp. I would suggest a DRRI. Two real channels with separate EQ and you can use a switch box to switch the channels. Another note, all the special editions including the Python are the same electronics as the stock versions. The speaker and cosmetics are the only difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:53 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

63supro wrote:
Because of the Linear Taper pot used in the older HRD series amps

Why do you and others keep making this statement without qualifying it? The schematic for the original HRD clearly shows that the clean volume and drive pots are audio taper. Only the master volume control is a linear taper pot (I am not addressing the presence, reverb, or tone stack pots). They may not be the most effective audio taper pots available, but they are not linear taper pots.

http://support.fender.com/schematics/gu ... ematic.pdf

Using input #2, I have no problem with a volume level up to 6 with either my SCN equipped Strat or humbucker equipped guitar. The BDRI pots are the same as those on the HRD.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio