It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Replacing a 3 bolt on neck 1980 Strat.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:45 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 1980 Strat with a bad neck. I want to replace the 3 bolt on neck on it.
Can I get the neck from Fender? I haven't been able to find one oherwise.

Thanks,

Orstudio7 :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:51 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

Fender won't sell you a replacement neck, except under very specific, quite unusual circumstances.

Your options are to look at a maker of Fender licensed necks, such as Mighty Mite and Warmoth. Google those names and you'll immediately get the idea. Warmoth would proabably be considered higher quality - at a higher price.

Doesn't matter whether you have a three-bolt or four-bolt body: replacements will come undrilled. You make your own holes to suit when you fit that neck for the first time - very carefully!

Read up on how to do that job if you haven't done it before. Get it wrong, there's unlikely to be a way back for that neck. Perfectly easy to get it right, though.

Good luck - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:56 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

As always Ceri is quite correct.

You could also look on eBay and find a used 3 bolt neck, however you are taking the chance of getting one in not so great condition.

Authorized TonePros Dealer
Authorized WD Music Products Dealer
F/A Official Southpaw Compliance Certification Tester http://faamps.com/

http://www.facebook.com/cafeathers

I didn't Lose my mind, I traded it for this guitar.

Post subject: Fender Strat neck replacement
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:07 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the info.

Orstudio7

Ceri wrote:
Hi, welcome to the Forum.

Fender won't sell you a replacement neck, except under very specific, quite unusual circumstances.

Your options are to look at a maker of Fender licensed necks, such as Mighty Mite and Warmoth. Google those names and you'll immediately get the idea. Warmoth would proabably be considered higher quality - at a higher price.

Doesn't matter whether you have a three-bolt or four-bolt body: replacements will come undrilled. You make your own holes to suit when you fit that neck for the first time - very carefully!

Read up on how to do that job if you haven't done it before. Get it wrong, there's unlikely to be a way back for that neck. Perfectly easy to get it right, though.

Good luck - C

Post subject: Re: Replacing a 3 bolt on neck 1980 Strat.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:19 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Orstudio7 wrote:
I have a 1980 Strat with a bad neck. I want to replace the 3 bolt on neck on it. Can I get the neck from Fender? I haven't been able to find one oherwise.

Are you planning on converting to a 4 bolt ?

A 4 bolt neck plate doesn't quite cover the the same footprint of the 3 bolt neck plate.

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:36 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

Dear Ceri,
Why won't Fender make and sell a replacement neck? Is it to cut down on fakes and sleezes? I would think they would sell necks WITHOUT serial numbers or with a different set of numbers - and everyone would be happy.
I ask because I have a 3-bolt neck that is about 1 adjustment away from being at the end of it's bullet trussrod limit.

Love,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:00 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Todd Montgomery wrote:
Why won't Fender make and sell a replacement neck?

Hi Todd. Apologies to those for whom this will be repetitious, but the reason is this.

As we know, one of the excellent aspects of Leo Fender's (and team's) design is the bolt-on neck; it is much more cost effective to manufacture, but it was also Leo's idea that if we broke our necks, needed a refret or just fancied a change we could simply buy a new one (from him) and throw it on, rather than making troublesome repairs.

However, back in the day nobody imagined that this electric guitar malarky was going to become the giant international business we see today, and the likes of Fender and Gibson were tardy as regards legally protecting the intellectual property in their designs. When they belatedly got around to thinking about that they found that their body shapes were already "out in the world" and regarded as generic - hard to retrospectively defend.

Both companies found that the part of the guitar that was easy to lodge as a trademark was the headstock, because of its relatively abstract non-functional outline. So that's what they did, and that is the part of the guitar they vigorously defend in court - along with the brand names and logos, of course.

However, the upshot is that the brand value of Fender guitars resides largely in the neck, specifically the peghead. So if they sell replacements then we can all bolt them onto Squier or other manufacturers' bodies and have ourselves a "Fender" guitar without the company getting much of the benefit. People post here every so often enquiring how to do exactly that.

The company feels, you want a Fender guitar? Buy one.

However, many people have legitimate reasons for wanting to replace a guitar's neck without buying a whole new instrument, and so Fender eventually licensed several companies, including Mighty Mite and Warmoth, to produce necks incorporating Fender's headstock designs, but without logos on them. So everyone can see that the guitar is not as built by Fender.

There are certain circumstances under which Fender will sell you a replacement neck. Take a look at the item Does Fender sell any replacement guitar necks and bodies? on this page to find out how that works:

http://www.fender.com/support/faqs.php#q7

Under similar conditions Fender will also sell genuine logo decals for the headstock: see Is it possible to get a replacement decal for my old Fender instrument? elsewhere on the same page.

Cheers - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:01 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ceri wrote:
Todd Montgomery wrote:
Why won't Fender make and sell a replacement neck?

Hi Todd. Apologies to those for whom this will be repetitious, but the reason is this.

As we know, one of the excellent aspects of Leo Fender's (and team's) design is the bolt-on neck; it is much more cost effective to manufacture, but it was also Leo's idea that if we broke our necks, needed a refret or just fancied a change we could simply buy a new one (from him) and throw it on, rather than making troublesome repairs.

However, back in the day nobody imagined that this electric guitar malarky was going to become the giant international business we see today, and the likes of Fender and Gibson were tardy as regards legally protecting the intellectual property in their designs. When they belatedly got around to thinking about that they found that their body shapes were already "out in the world" and regarded as generic - hard to retrospectively defend.

Both companies found that the part of the guitar that was easy to lodge as a trademark was the headstock, because of its relatively abstract non-functional outline. So that's what they did, and that is the part of the guitar they vigorously defend in court - along with the brand names and logos, of course.

However, the upshot is that the brand value of Fender guitars resides largely in the neck, specifically the peghead. So if they sell replacements then we can all bolt them onto Squier or other manufacturers' bodies and have ourselves a "Fender" guitar without the company getting much of the benefit. People post here every so often enquiring how to do exactly that.

The company feels, you want a Fender guitar? Buy one.

However, many people have legitimate reasons for wanting to replace a guitar's neck without buying a whole new instrument, and so Fender eventually licensed several companies, including Mighty Mite and Warmoth, to produce necks incorporating Fender's headstock designs, but without logos on them. So everyone can see that the guitar is not as built by Fender.

There are certain circumstances under which Fender will sell you a replacement neck. Take a look at the item Does Fender sell any replacement guitar necks and bodies? on this page to find out how that works:

http://www.fender.com/support/faqs.php#q7

Under similar conditions Fender will also sell genuine logo decals for the headstock: see Is it possible to get a replacement decal for my old Fender instrument? elsewhere on the same page.

Cheers - C

Ok.......for what I read on that link, I should be able to get a replacement neck (by Fender), as long as I take it to a Authorized Fender Service Center, who would verify, that I have a genuine Fender guitar. So long as the neck does need replacement. The luthiers I have seen in my area are Authorzed Fender Service Centers, so it should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:25 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

Dear Ceri,
Thank you. In a twisted, hyper-legal way, that all makes sense. I remember the fights over Fender knockoffs back in the 1980's.
Did Leo have problems over his old copyrights when he made Music Man or G&L guitars?

Love,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:55 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Todd Montgomery wrote:
In a twisted, hyper-legal way, that all makes sense. I remember the fights over Fender knockoffs back in the 1980's.
Did Leo have problems over his old copyrights when he made Music Man or G&L guitars?

Indeed. Here's the headstock from one of the famous Tokai rip off Strats of the 1970s. Get a look at that logo! Fender won that particular legal battle and several other similar ones, which is why big makers have been a little more careful about abusing one another's property in recent decades.

Ironically, Fender Japan guitars were soon to be made in the very factory that fakocaster came out of...

Regarding Leo: when he sold Fender to CBS he will undoubtedly have signed an agreement not to enter the same business in competition with his previous company for a certain period. Someone will be able to remind us what that gap turned out to be, historically.

Of course, the sale of the company (for something like $15,000,000, if memory serves) will have included Fender-CBS's right to all relevant patents and trademarks. Copyright relates to other things. And you'll notice that G&L and Musicman precisely don't abuse Fender's headtock design or logos, and patent lawyers will have made sure any outstanding patents on electronics were either licensed or not infringed.

Complicated, isn't it? Right now folks all over this Forum are likely rethinking their plan to set up guitar building and pickup winding companies. Can't afford the lawyers' fees!

Cheers - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:26 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

MY GOD L :shock: :shock: k at that tokai headstock.
I've just lost all desire for a customshop strat and recalled just how good those guitars were.

I'm off to ebay whilst the site gets fixed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:03 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

nikininja wrote:
I'm off to ebay whilst the site gets fixed :D

Hey, Ninja; then check out this one I just came across:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0099974918

Something to think about on your forthcoming visit to Denmark Street...?

:D - C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:26 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

Dear Ceri,
I just wrote a long response - only to be thrown offline when I tried to send. So here's the short version - thank you. Now I'm gonna go check out the link I see you left...

Love,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:25 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Ceri, its in leeds. I know that shop quite well. Just a shame its leeds, negotiating the ring road would demand a 10k drop in price :D .

One thing on some strats i really dont like is rosewood. You could buy the flat above the shop for that price. The guitar is a better investment then real estate at the moment though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

nikininja wrote:
Ceri, its in leeds. I know that shop quite well. Just a shame its leeds, negotiating the ring road would demand a 10k drop in price :D .

One thing on some strats i really dont like is rosewood. You could buy the flat above the shop for that price. The guitar is a better investment then real estate at the moment though.

Oh, it's in the Leeds branch, is it? Well forget it then. I'll hop on a bus up to the center of town for a £57,000 guitar - but Leeds? Nah...

Kinda feel the same way about rosewood on a Fender. A shame because other than that I like '60s specs on a Strat. Mind you, unlike some folks here I was quite taken with the bound rosewood 'board on the forthcoming Eric Johnson Sig Mk2. A bit bling by Strat standards, but it might make the dark wood more interesting...

Early start tomorrow: night-night...

- C