It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: GREETINGS!!!/ problem with new MIM strat?/input jack.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:24 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

First off let me start off by saying hi! Ive been reading these boards now for the past few months now but this is my first post..I decided to buy and learn to play guitar as a new hobby, and somethng to do during my down time in my big rig..im an over the road truck driver. and today my new guitar came in. i orderd a MIM strat hss. its midnight wine and looks perfect....but heres my issue:

The input jack on the guitar/ (i guess you call it), seems to be very tight.. I really had to to jam the guitar cable in there to get it in, and it got stuck when i tried to take it out(had to pull it out with plyers). the jack on the opposite end of the same cable(im using those new magnetic snap jacks) wont even go in...i dont think this is an issue with the jacks themselves they both fit in the amp fine...but it almost seems too tight for the guitar....is this normal for a BRAND NEW strat???will it get easier over time? or for these cables(if anyone has them)
either way im not too worried about it...i assume the input jack assembly is pretty cheap to replace..and other than being real tight it works fine...

anyways just wanted to see what you guys think.
thnx rob.

p.s.sorry bout typos and grammer issues...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:34 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

That's interesting. Never seen that before. Usually they get too loose. I can only guess at the problem. Maybe the rout is too shallow and the "clip" end of the jack doesn't have room to allow the plug in. Maybe there's a wire in the way? Maybe there's just something wrong with the jack. It's easy enough to replace, it's just two wires to resolder. Either way, you're going to have to take it to a tech or remove, carefully, the pickguard and have a look yourself. If the rout is too shallow for the jack you might have to take a wood chisel to it to make more room. I'm willing to bet it's nothing you can't fix yourself if you take a look.

Hmmm...no foolin ...." FZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

unscrew the nut off the input jack, then take the two screws off the plate. gently pull the jack out. you will see a flat piece of metal with a bend in it. it should look kind of like a square root sign. gently push the cable into the jack and watch where it hits, if too snug, gently push the metal tab back. I pushed mine forward so it would be hard to get the cable out. nothing like loosing it during a show :roll:

ill take some pics and show you what to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:00 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks i already took the thing apart, it fits perfectly into the the "square root thing"...its jamming up where the "head" of the jack comes in contact with the first group of washer looking things..its probably fine..you know how it is when you get something new....im probably just being a spaz. at least its tight, and not loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:02 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

okay here we go, sorry for the crappy quality of pics

youll start with it like so

so take those screws and nut off

after taking off the plate, gently pull the jack out. it will look like this

you can see how far in the metal tab is bent by sticking your cable in

simply push back the tab just a little, until your happy with the tention

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:04 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

supertrucker wrote:
Thanks i already took the thing apart, it fits perfectly into the the "square root thing"...its jamming up where the "head" of the jack comes in contact with the first group of washer looking things..its probably fine..you know how it is when you get something new....im probably just being a spaz. at least its tight, and not loose.

dang it you beat me by two minutes!!

im not taking my pictures down though! i want everyone to know i went the extra mile!!! :oops:

Post subject: Jack too tight
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I bought my 05 MIM about three months ago and had the same problem. Took the jack apart, bent the tab just a bit. It loosened up only a little, but as I've used it it's gotten much looser. Still tight, but I know I have a good connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:06 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

It could be that you need to get used to it. Lots of folks have a hard time especially removing the Jack because of the angle. The folks that had guitars with the jack input on the body or outside have the hardest time getting used to the new angle and way that Fender jack inputs are. Try laying it down flat and see how it woks then try holding it like you are going to play the guitar. See the diff when trying to put in in or out?