It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Korean Strats
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 am 
Amateur
Amateur

What can you guys tell me about Squier Strats made in Korea? It has the CN serial number if that helps.

I've read where these were really well built guitars. The one that I have found has a nice, one piece, maple neck. It is at a pawn shop and looks to need a good set-up. I have not played it.

They also have a nice looking Indonesian Tele with a humbucker in the neck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:10 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I had a Korean made Squier Strat once, I wish I would have kept it. It was one of the nicest playing Strats I have ever owned.

Authorized TonePros Dealer
Authorized WD Music Products Dealer
F/A Official Southpaw Compliance Certification Tester http://faamps.com/

http://www.facebook.com/cafeathers

I didn't Lose my mind, I traded it for this guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

CA is right they play nice because they have a skinny neck unlike the MIM's. They are not to good for playing chords because of the narrow neck if you have big fingers. It is probably plywood or basswood cause it weighs a ton. But it stays in tune. Strings don't last too long live and need to be changed often. Also you probably want to change the pickups.

My Korean starts with a VN number. Check out Wikipedia for the proper numbers under Strat or Squier.

If the price is right go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:48 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

i actually own 1 of the squier 2 strats the best 10$ spend to get off of a friend i havent put in down when i put in a new input jack i love it

Post subject: Korean Strats
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:48 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I got one in the spring . I was looking Guitar for a travel for my job.
I saw this Squire II , maple neck and black body. $85.00. I love it!
I may change pickups to vint noiseless, the neck sweet ! It was well worth getting! My other strat a American Delx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

i have a Korean Squier, SN: CN 6062490

i love this guitar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:43 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I need an education. I have a "Squier II Stratocaster by Fender, Made in Korea, S908773." It was given to me by my wife in I believe the late 1980's to satisfy the old rock & roller in me. I've always liked the guitar; loved the neck, action and playability. Recently my son-in-law got a Koa Strat. This got me thinking that maybe I should trade-up to a newer guitar. No Strat that I tried played any better than my Squier II, including the American series. Most, however, did sound much better - the SD pick-ups on the Koa were like lifting a fog compared to my Squier II's sound. So I have some questions for the experts:

1. Is there something special about the old Korean Squier Strats?
2. How can I identify the details - year of manufacture, etc. - for this guitar?
3. What is the approximate (eBay) value of this guitar?
4. What level of Strat would I need to trade-up to, to get a neck as good as I've already got plus some better tone?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:24 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Not sure how many forum members post their own answers, but with a little research, I think I determined that my guitar was made in the Samick factory in Korea in 1989. The Greenwood book shows a value range of $250-300. Does this information make sense to the experts?

Remaining questions:

1. What is special about the old Korean Squier Strats?
2. What level of Strat would I need to trade-up to, to get a neck as good as I've already got plus some better tone?

Thanks for any help or information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:33 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

From Wikipedia.

[edit] Korean Squiers

CN/VN: C = Cor-Tek (Cort), V = Saehan(Sunghan), S was already taken by Samick so Saehan(Sunghan) used V instead (Saehan(Sunghan) made the Vester guitars), N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

* "CN5" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1995.
* "VN5" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1995.

KC/KV: KC (Korean Cor-Tek (Cort)) and KV (Korean Saehan(Sunghan)), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.

For example

* "KC97" = made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in 1997.
* "KV97" = made by Saehan(Sunghan) in 1997.

KC and KV serial number prefixes are usually used on Crafted in Korea Squiers.

S/E: The S and E serial number prefix Korean Squiers are from the late 1980s/early 1990s. S = Samick, E = Young Chang, E letter serial numbers were used on Young Chang's Fenix brand guitars [1]. The first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

* "S9" = made by Samick in 1989.
* "E0" = made by Sung-Eum in 1990.
* "E1" = made by Sung-Eum in 1991.

There were also Korean Squier serials with no serial number prefix and 6 or 7 numbers and the first number is the year.

***SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, i am Chilean***
i have a Korean Squier 1996, sn: CN 6xxxx, great tone and playability.

According to my understanding, the korean squier are the best excluding the Japanese squier, he played many squier built after the 1999 (non-korean) and my Korean the defeat by far.

greetings from Chile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:09 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Vaughan. Music has no language barrier.

I'm still wondering, what level of Strat (Fender or Squier) would I need to trade-up to, to get a neck as good as I've already got with my Korean Squire II, plus some better tone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:49 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Quote:
What can you guys tell me about Squier Strats made in Korea?

Well... back in '96 i bought me a Korean made squier (CN 6 - full maple wood neck, special 50years fender birthday edition) for about $300. Over the years i bought a used 70's fender strat for a sh*tload of money (=idiot), 2 washburns, a fender strat and 2 squiers ('95 chinese and '97 korean), and these are all good guitars but to be honnest the only one that gives me magic is that first korean squier from '96. Think it's something to do with that maple neck, i dunno.

So buy it or send it to me :)
Hope this answers your question.

greetz, Psy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:37 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Korean squiers are indeed high quality guitars that were made back in the late 80's I'm not sure though if they're very sought after but the ones I saw for sale were high priced. I would tend to think that they will be collectables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:21 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Guitar Center offered me $50 for my Korean Strat. They might be worth more but no one is going to give you much for it much less as a trade. It's kind of like trading in a car. They were a lot better with my amp which is worth much less against another amp they wanted to get rid of. But I don't think that will work against a Standard Strat which they can sell anytime they want.

If you like the guitar hang on to it and shop around for whatever else you like until you get the price you want.

Also on the necks, I haven't felt anything like it except on a Jackson or a ESP. In my opinnion the Korean's skinny neck is very similar and I wouldn''t give it up for any MIM.

My Korean starts with VN and I got it at GC. They told me they were made to their specs. Don't know if I believe them but whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:47 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I'm glad to know it's not just me and my friends thinking this. I have a VN Stratocaster. I think it's 93 or 94 just off the top of my head.

I've had lost of compliments on the comfort of play, and the fact that it stays in tune for so long. A buddy in high school (this is back in like 95/96) liked how my Squire played so much that he went out and bought one... and HATED it. We compared, and the only immediate difference was that his was made in Japan (the wood on his was a bit lighter in color as well).

So he went back to the shop, returned his Japanese Strat, bought a Korean one, and was in love.

I guess they had some great building going on there in the 90s?

Should I ever trade up to an American or MIM, I hope to have it match this as much as possible (I'm assuming these are std. 'C' necks?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:04 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

hi all i have a white fender squier is sais made in korea with the serial number E946072 it has a floyd rose trem 2 single coils and a humbuker. can any one tell me any thing about this guitar ? i have owned it for a number of years and could never find out any thing about it. it plays lovely and i have had alot of guitars over the years but this was my first and the one i come back to any help would be much appreciated thanks 8)