It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: reverse headstock strat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

i was at guitar center and i played this strat that had an upside down headstock. it wasnt in the used section and didnt say used any where on it. i know that fender made some strats before that had upside down headstocks some were Jimi Hendrix tribute strats, and some where obviusly influenced by him but didn't have his name on them or anything. has fender started making reverse headstock strats again?

oh also it might have had reverse staggered pickup poll ( i cant remember the exact name of them), i think this because it just sounded different then other strats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:46 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I don't know if they have started making them again but last time I was at GC there were some MIM reverse strats there. My next strat will be a reverse headstock strat. I would just use a lefty neck but then the nut would be wrong correct me if I am wrong...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:50 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I dont know really im not an expert, i have only been playing since january. but I agree that reverse headstocks look better. i actually like how the strat looks upside down the best like how Jimi Hendrix played. if i can get money soon ill put that one i played on hold so i can save up for it with out having to worry about someone else buying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

There were the "Voodoo Strats" which were Hendrix sigs in like 97-98, and then there were the "68 Re-issue Reverse Headstock strats", which is what the Voodoo strat became after the Hendrix family lawsuit. It was exactly the same, minus the Hendrix neck plate. This whole run stopped in 2000-2001.

What you saw is the Fender "60's Reverse Headstock Strat". These were made in 2007 and I'm not sure if they're still being made or not. These aren't related to the Voodoo strats or the 68 Re-issue Reverse Headstock strat, but more a way to bring back the look by popular demand.

Main differences:
The one you saw is made in mexico as opposed to the older ones which were MIA.
The new one has:
different pickups
1-ply pickguard (Oly White only) as opposed to 3-ply
smaller neck radius (7.25" as opposed to the older 9.5")
vintage frets
skunk stripe on the back of the neck
poly finish as opposed to the older one's nitro finish
cream colored knobs and pickup covers

It's a nice strat in general, but not related to the old Hendrix sigs. These differences are to be expected when it costs less than half the price of the original Voodoo strats. It still has a nice Hendrix vibe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:58 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

cu_jarrett wrote:
I don't know if they have started making them again but last time I was at GC there were some MIM reverse strats there. My next strat will be a reverse headstock strat. I would just use a lefty neck but then the nut would be wrong correct me if I am wrong...?

You would have to replace the nut, and then you wouldn't have the reference dots on top of the neck. Those would be on the underside because it's a lefty neck. That's why reverse headstocks are nice. You still get the reference dots on top of the neck. Of course, if you don't really look at the neck while you're playing then it doesn't matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:04 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thanks a lot mthomps07!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:21 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The one music store near me has a Dick Dale Stat. and it is a reverse headstock it from the custom artist seriess. I would like to have for sure if only I had a couple grand extra. it had the customs 50 pickups and the bridge was at a reverse angle. also came with a brown tolex with the poodle lining.

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: reverse headstock strat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:26 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

nikko14 wrote:
i was at guitar center and i played this strat that had an upside down headstock. it wasnt in the used section and didnt say used any where on it. i know that fender made some strats before that had upside down headstocks some were Jimi Hendrix tribute strats, and some where obviusly influenced by him but didn't have his name on them or anything. has fender started making reverse headstock strats again?

oh also it might have had reverse staggered pickup poll ( i cant remember the exact name of them), i think this because it just sounded different then other strats.

60's Reverse Headstock Strat
picked one up from Musicians Friend last month during their Fender sale $499
they list them at $699, but if you ordered by phone and mentioned the Super Secret Sale you could get a sweet discount
I got the black with 3ply pickgaurd, very warm sound through a tube amp
sounds alot different than my other strats

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:06 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

HemiRam wrote:
nikko14 wrote:

60's Reverse Headstock Strat
picked one up from Musicians Friend last month during their Fender sale $499
they list them at $699, but if you ordered by phone and mentioned the Super Secret Sale you could get a sweet discount

i'll just buy a left handed strat turn it upside down to play right handed
change the nutt there you go your reverse headstock for right handers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Is it pure aestethics, or is there any functional reason for it?
It seems like it would be a little more contorted to tune...

I am just asking an innocent question. I have never played one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:59 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The string tension is very different. Personally I prefer the feel of a reverse headstock. Some will argue that the tone differs as well, which is understandable but hard to acknowledge due to the difference in pickups from guitar to guitar. The lows seem tighter and sharper because of the differing tension.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:19 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

HemiRam wrote:
60's Reverse Headstock Strat picked one up from Musicians Friend last month during their Fender sale $499

Yup, that's what nikko14 saw on his visit to Guitar Center.

Are you going to pick one up, nikko14?

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:22 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

[quote="nikko14"]i was at guitar center and i played this strat that had an upside down headstock. it wasnt in the used section and didnt say used any where on it.

Ceri......this one's for you.

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:59 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Im only 15 so i dont have money alot of money but im starting a job next week so im going to see if i can put some money down on it and have guitar center hold it for me as i save more money for it. that way i wont have to worry about someone else buying it. but if its already gone ill probably just get a lefty and string it right handed, i actually like how strats look better upside down. i have considered buying one online but i dont think i would buy a stat online because every start plays a little different so i would need to make shure i like the feel the guitar before i purchased one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:28 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I like the reverse headstock too. Nikko14, when you have enough saved up and you can finally buy the guitar you really want, it will mean SO much more to you. Good Luck. Enjoy!

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.