It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: FENDER SUPER SONIC 60 DIFFERNECeS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:29 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So can someone tell me what the differences are in the supersonic range?

Particularly in the supersonic 60 and 22 models.

All seems to be a bit confusing for me....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:23 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Supersonic 22
[url]http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?p=497474&sid=fae11d27b79a087bffe6fddb023dbd2a
[/url]
Supersonic 60
I own one, and I love it. True, unlike others here, I have not had the opportunity to match the vintage channels to the original amps (just a Vibro reissue and Bassman reissue). I would love to one day. BUT, I do love the sound nonetheless. Powerful enough for any venue. Because it is a modeling amp of other amps already in existence, it takes time to tweak to your sound, but you can find it if you take the time. I enjoy the Burn channel very much as well. Again, I worked with the amp awhile. I would suggest you just play both and find out for yourself. So, this is my general answer to your general question :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:04 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

so whats the difference between the normal supersonic head, and the supersonic 60 head?

they're even the same price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:04 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I sure would like to know the differences between the Supersonic 60 and the normal Supersonic as well. All Fender states is that they redisgned the Supersonic 60 for better low end response. Well what does that mean? I own the Supersonic 112 and run a Supersonic 2-12 cabinet with it. they don't even list the specs for their updated Supersonic 2-12 cabinet. I'm just as baffled as you are as to what the differences are. Fender won't tell you. However, I love my Supersonic 112 with the Supersonic 2-12 cabinet, but I would like to know what they did to update the new Supersonic's

As far as the differences between the Supersonic 60 and the Supersonic 22, my guess is the difference in wattage. I hope you can find out what all of the changes are, because I sure haven't been able to get an answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:36 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I did find some differences in the Supersomic 112 and the Supersonic 60. The Supersonic 60 has a 4 button footswitch, which allows the user to turn on/off the reverb at the footswitch, and it also has a switchable impedance selector from 4-8ohms. Other than that, I don't see any other difference. They do claim thr Supersonic 60 has been modded for better low end response, but don't tell you how they did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:52 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

The Supersonic 22 is a 22 watt 6V6 powered combo and has "Normal" and "Fat" instead of "Vibro" and "Bassman" on the clean channel, it also has an Eminence speaker.

The Supersonic 60 is indeed an update of the original Supersonic (which I assume will be discontinued) and is supposed to have a tweaked tone-stack for better bass response and the black finish now has a transitional blackface cosmetics rather than the previous black and whatevertheycalledit finish that was very much love-it-or-loath it from people I spoke to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:34 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

How about looking here. :oops:
http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... s=Pro+Tube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

hey 63 Supro,

I did look there and thats where I found the differences, but they still don't tell what they did to achieve the difference in low end response. I mean what did they do to "tweak" the Tone Stack? I've been trying to find out since the new versions came out, and no one seems to be able to tell me. I'm sure if I could find out, anyone could tweak it themselves to achieve what they modded. It's got to be some sort capacitor replacement, or something to that effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:51 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

kevinhd1200 wrote:
hey 63 Supro,

I did look there and thats where I found the differences, but they still don't tell what they did to achieve the difference in low end response. I mean what did they do to "tweak" the Tone Stack? I've been trying to find out since the new versions came out, and no one seems to be able to tell me. I'm sure if I could find out, anyone could tweak it themselves to achieve what they modded. It's got to be some sort capacitor replacement, or something to that effect.

Try looking at the schematics. Or maybe if Art or Arjay has some time they would know. I know the original Super Sonic is on there, but I'm not sure about the others. You can probably search the net for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:20 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanx, 63 Supro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The likely change would be to alter the roll-off $@!&# of the tone-stack caps or possibly change the value of the coupling caps between the pre-amp stages. Increasing the screen voltage of the phase inverter might also fatten things up a bit. I'd have to examine both schematics to confirm this though.

HTH

Arjay

(WTF?!?!? The "edited" word is "S" "L" "O" "P" "E"......what the hell's wrong with it?)

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:28 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanx Arjay. I don't know whats wrong with the word "S""L""O""P""E"". But your info is greatly appreciated. I guesss I'll have to take a look at both schematics myself, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:48 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

slink,
I believe it is this month's Guitar Player magazine that has a review of the Supersonic 22... Its at home, but I seem to recall this... I can check when I get home tonight....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:14 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

cool. Thanx for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:20 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

FYI, I found the Guitar Player review of the Supersonic 22, it is in the Oct 2010 issue, and it has a few comments from a Fender representative, who says something to the effect that they rebuilt the Supersonic(60 watt) after feedback from customers indicated it was too loud. Apparently they had a specially designed speaker built for this amp, the Supersonic 22.... :lol: