It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Add another voice for white 358s
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I hadn't bought picks for quite a while, having used my existing white 358s for years-- since the 1970s at least.

Was at a couple of the shops-- both Guitar Center and Sam Ash and neither had the classic white Fender 358s that I always bought. Wanting to find something close, I ended up buying a package of Clayton .38mm because they looked close. I had been using them for about a year, when I came across a cache of unused 358s I had in a guitar case I hadn't looked in for awhile. Thinking nothing of it, I set them aside, but when I couldn't find one of my usual Claytons, I grabbed one of the 358s, and have since found that they perform MUCH better than the Claytons-- the Claytons are somewhat too soft...

I also found a tortoseshell 358, hopefully the playing characteristics are the same even if the floor-spotting ones aren't-- I'd much prefer white myself...

--

Zinc

Post subject: PLEASE bring them back
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just joined this site for the explicit purpose of adding another voice to this thread.

I am lucky enough to have a small stash of the Fender white heavy 358 pics remaining.

I have tried to find alternatives - Wegen, Clayton, Dunlop, etc but alas the white fender 358 is unique.

It is even different than it's shell counterpart 358 - the white for some reason has a sharper taper than the shell heavy 358.

Depending on your criteria:

The closest I have found (in shape) are the D'Andrea 358. While they don't make a white, they're shell 358 version is the most similar. Their heavy is .94 and a little thinner - but that may prove a suitable alternative for some.

Post subject: same here...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

need a full gross of the white ones. running low. anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:50 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Another user here of the 358 heavies that's running dangerously low. I've tried the shell ones, too, and don't think they respond the same as the whites.

Post subject: a bleak future for Fender heavy white fans...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:39 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

not good...no where to be found. anywhere.

Post subject: white fender teardrop 358 guitar picks no longer available
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:56 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I think what's happening here is a marketing shot in the foot. Maybe the kind folks at Fender were thinking that they would sell more of the 358 picks if people couldn't find them after they dropped them on the floor.
That idea looks good on paper however, 2 thing are happening: 1. No one wants to buy the shell colored picks so they're holding on to the last of their white ones for dear life. And: 2. They looking to other manufacturers for white replacements so Fender is losing business and good will on both counts!
Nice going marketing department...

Post subject: Re: white fender teardrop 358 guitar picks no longer availab
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:15 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

whalil wrote:
...1. No one wants to buy the shell colored picks so they're holding on to the last of their white ones for dear life. And: 2. They looking to other manufacturers for white replacements so Fender is losing business and good will on both counts!
Nice going marketing department...

Agreed.

However, also note the quality of their tortise picks are lower quality. I get quite a few tortise fenders that have rough edges out of the box.

They have definitely lost my business.

D'Andrea makes the closest thing to the Fender 358 white. While you can't find D'Andrea in white, their teardrop shape is near identical (just a wee smaller) and the tortise heavy, while somewhat thinner (.94) than the Fender white 358, may suffice. The D'Andrea Delrin 1.00 (blue) is also comparable.

Pretty sure after all these years, the Fender white 358 is a lost cause.

Post subject: Re: Hey Billy - 358 picks, heavy, white?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check out the D'Andrea picks, I'm down to my last white Fender so it's worth a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:54 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Just bumping this thread as I need some white 358s. Did Fender ever come back to anyone after they said they'd look into this?

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Bump...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

easywombat wrote:
Just bumping this thread as I need some white 358s. Did Fender ever come back to anyone after they said they'd look into this?

Cheers

No. I think we just don't have the numbers FMIC needs to see, fellas :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

No, the John Pearse are completely different (tried them).

Closest you're gonna get is D'Andrea's 358 picks. They have the same shape, size, taper, etc. (I believe D'Andrea was the original supplier / manufacturer of these).

Unfortunately, they don't make a white one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Like someone else, I registered just so I could reply to this thread found while I was searching the web for 358's.

I found a few of the white ones (labeled Fender U.S.A. .84mm MED-HEAVY) recently at a few local stores and a handful of black Peavey 1.0mm ones that are the exact same shape (narrow straight taper to point) and size. Sadly the Peaveys also seem to be discontinued so its a matter of scouring shops for the remaining dregs.

I also got some Fender EXTRA HEAVY shell ones but they are definitely different playing (wider, curved taped to point, .92mm actual guage) and sounding (veiled-gritty). Not impressed with these ones.

As an aside, I also bought some standard Fender 351's medium and heavy recently in different stores. I think there's some quality control issues here since both packs had bent/warped picks and the tone is similar to those shell 358's. Its unfortunate since the Fender 351's have a smaller point than the Dunlop 351's which I like but the Dunlops definitely feel and sound better.

So I think there's definitely a market made of tone hounds that would pay a premium for say, high end Fender Custom Shop picks with the original shapes, color and most importantly, tone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Same Here. I've got an ad listed here in Austin on Craigslist. Looking for the specific Fender 358 White Only, Mediums. Went to the Guitar Show in Dallas, 4/21. Nothing, Nada, Zilch...All I got were shoulder shrugs and dumb looks. Down to my last 18. Geez