It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: What's the value of a 1996 50th anniversary Lone Star Strat?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm looking for some help from those of you who know more about Fender products than I do (that probably means everyone here). I've never had a real Fender before, just knock-offs. I'm in my 40's and would like to get a real Fender that I can keep for the rest of my life. Someone I work with has an American made 1996 50th anniversary Lone Star Strat he's willing to sell. He actually came by my house and dropped it off over the weekend so it's here with me right now. I have the receipt, paperwork with matching serial numbers, etc. He bought both a Strat & Tele when the 50th anniversary editions came out, but both of them have basically just sat in their cases since he's primarily an acoustic player. He told me that he's always been the type to make impulsive music gear purchases, and he has multiple guitars, basses, and amps he's not really using.

Anyway, about the value of the Strat. It looks like the other Lone Stars I've seen through all my Google searches - pearloid pickguard and back cover, 22 frets, 2 string trees, rosewood fretboard, etc. It looks brand new other than some oxidation on the frets. Here's where I'm confused though: as I said, I'm far from a Fender expert, but I thought all the American made instruments went for at least $1000? He bought it from an online retailer and paid $706. That just sounds really cheap to me, or am I just out of touch with what they cost 12-13 years ago?

Are there different 'levels' of American made instruments and this is perhaps a lower line?

Is there a 2009 equivalent of this guitar? If so, what would it cost?

This is a Fender (the company) 50th anniversary instrument. Is there a Stratocaster (the instrument) 50th anniversary Lone Star as well?

He said he'd like $500 for it. With what little I know about Fender pricing that sounded like a great deal when I first heard it. I'm not looking to spend more money just for the sake of doing so, and it's not that I need to feel like I got a 'deal,' I just want to make sure I get a nice quality American made Strat, and the low price he paid has me wondering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:09 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Welcome to the forum!

These are nice guitars. In the original US Lonestars, the bridge 'bucker was automatically coil split in position 2 (I count from the bridge) for a more traditional quack tone.

Asking prices for these vary. I've seen Lonestars and Roadhouses used, and prices usually run $800-$1000. There are still bargains now and then, but not as often. The ones that actually sell, tho, usually end up going for around $600-$800. Not a bad price at all considering what new US Strats cost now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I believe you can get a new one for $700.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... dium=feed&

Look under color choice and they have a scratch and dent for $549 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:49 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

500 bucks for the '96 lone star sounds good for a usedd one. i own a '96 mia olympic white lone star and i'm very happy with it (sound, handling). uff, i have paid 1800 DM, that could be around 1000 $ in the past for the new instrument.

you have seen and testet it. what says your heart?

cheers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:04 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The guitar at AMS linked to above is a MIM, I'm talking about the American made version.

I've played it, seems nice. A friend who has a MIM Strat played this one and right away he said it felt better than his, so I guess that counts for something. My concern was just with the price, because $700 for a new American made Strat just sounded really low to me, but as I said before, maybe I'm just out of touch with what they cost 12-13 years ago.

I was planning on taking it to a tech for a good once over anyway, so I'll let his expertise guide me in that respect.

Thanks again for the replies, I'll check back in after the tech looks it over.