It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Deluxe 112 Plus noise/muddy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

hi, y'all. I have a Fender Deluxe 112 Plus amp - got it cheap, cause it had a crappy speaker in it, wrong ohm rating and probably a bad coil.

I replaced the speaker with a correct (Fender) 12", 4 ohm, 100 watt speaker, but it seems really noisy at rest unless I dial down treble & mid to zero. This is a solid state amp, and I'm not good at volt/ohm meters, schematics & circuitry, so I'll take it to a tech (maybe) if it needs it.

Anyone know why it's so damn noisy? I also have a Champ 25 SE, which is a really nice amp (with tubes) and it's almost silent at rest. Of course it's a little noisy at rest w Drive circuit open, but that's ok.

Also, the Deluxe 112 Plus speaker seems kinda muddy when I crank it. Is this typical? I'm talking single pole and humbucker pickups - runs muddy w both at vol 5+. The Champ 25 sounds a lot better to me.

If you have any ideas why the Deluxe 112 Plus is noisy & muddy, PLEASE let me know. Wanna buy it? I'll give ya a good price...

1971 Marshall 50 w amp
1973 Champ amp
1948 Vega Commander amp
a few other toys and pedals...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

:idea: I have owned a 112 Plus it had a semilar problem I cleaned the Volume, mid , and Reverb Pots and 80% of the hum and noise went away. I now have a Stage 112 SE and it as had the same problem, and this fix worked on it to, this helped clear up the sound also. Hope this helps you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:46 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

kgambler44 wrote:
:idea: I have owned a 112 Plus it had a semilar problem I cleaned the Volume, mid , and Reverb Pots and 80% of the hum and noise went away. I now have a Stage 112 SE and it as had the same problem, and this fix worked on it to, this helped clear up the sound also. Hope this helps you out.

kgambler44 - thanks so much for the reply. I'll have to try that. Can you recommend a pot cleaner? I know enuf not to use WD40 - but I don't know what kinda electronics /potentiomerter cleaner spray to use. Years ago I used some teflon spray on an old Gorilla amp I had, and it worked well, totally cleaned the noise out of the pots, but I think there must be a better cleaner out there. Can I find something at Stew-Mac? Please let me know, and again, thanks!

1971 Marshall 50 w amp
1973 Champ amp
1948 Vega Commander amp
a few other toys and pedals...

Post subject: Pot Cleaner RadioShack Part #640-4345 Electronics Cleaner
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:17 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

tnicboston wrote:
kgambler44 wrote:

kgambler44 - thanks so much for the reply. I'll have to try that. Can you recommend a pot cleaner? I know enuf not to use WD40 - but I don't know what kinda electronics /potentiomerter cleaner spray to use. Years ago I used some teflon spray on an old Gorilla amp I had, and it worked well, totally cleaned the noise out of the pots, but I think there must be a better cleaner out there. Can I find something at Stew-Mac? Please let me know, and again, thanks!

Post subject: Pot Cleaner RadioShack Part #640-4345 Electronics Cleaner
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:24 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

My post got all jacked up Check out RadioShack for their Electronics Cleaner Part # 640-4345 it works great and doesn't leave any residew .