It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: neck date stamp on 65 strat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey guy`s. I`ve got a 65 strat with ( 2 sept 65 B ) on the butt. I don`t want to travel with it anymore, so I`m building an Identical replica and would like to know where I can find the correct (size and style ) stamps for the neck butt. Also, what kind of ink stamp was used on the original? Thanks. MJP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:51 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

What does it matter if you don't have a neck stamp who will no. In 65 they just used either Blue or Red ink below the truss rod on the butt.

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: neck date stamp on 65 strat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:22 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

stratman8 wrote:
I would like to know where I can find the correct (size and style ) stamps for the neck butt. Also, what kind of ink stamp was used on the original?

You should be able to measure your stamp and try to find similar fonts (to match the letters and numbers).

What about the headstock decals with the correct patents? Do you need those too?

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Does it sound legal to build an identical replica?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:06 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

It is probably legal unless you try to sell it to someone else and pass it off as an original. Then it is not only probably illegal, it is immoral and should be justifiable grounds for a rear end whupping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:28 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I guess it's ok as long as there's no serial on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:11 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I really don`t care if it`s legal or not. I`m using this one for a stage instrument and it will not be sold... ever ! I`m just into authenticity with everything I do, besides... I spent $8k on the real 65, so I really don`t feel bad building a (new & improved) version for $1600. If the custom shop would build a (REAL ) Relic for a change, I`d probably give them my money, but they Lost everything when they lost John. God Bless Him... He was the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:14 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

By the way, thanks to orvilleowner, he gave me a good answer. Thanks .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:49 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Looking at a few such vintage neck stamps, I see they used a couple of different fonts for the numbers and for the letters.

The first digit (the type of guitar) is in a different font from the year.

And the last character (the neck width indicator) is sometimes a different font from the month (serif vs sans serif). I could swear that I've seen both a serif and a sans serif font for the month, but a quick search didn't reveal a month with a serif font.

Good luck. Please tell us what you find.

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:31 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Orville owner, thanks for the info on the names of the different fonts. Thats exactly what I was looking for !!! Now I know what to ask for when I`m looking for the correct stamps. I`m actually having this guy make this guitar from all special reserve, aged, prime stock, reliced to my exact real 65 strat specs, virtually an Identical guitar,except I`m putting in Fralin blues specials custom wound for me, aged wilkinson trem, and a few other special upgrades to make this piece my main strat for the road. Thanks, I`ll post pictures when its done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:32 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Orville owner, thanks for the info on the names of the different fonts. Thats exactly what I was looking for !!! Now I know what to ask for when I`m looking for the correct stamps. I`m actually having this guy make this guitar from all special reserve, aged, prime stock, reliced to my exact real 65 strat specs, virtually an Identical guitar,except I`m putting in Fralin blues specials custom wound for me, aged wilkinson trem, and a few other special upgrades to make this piece my main strat for the road. Thanks, I`ll post pictures when its done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

stratman8 wrote:

stratman8 If you not putting on the original type stuff Quote{virtually an Identical guitar,except I`m putting in Fralin blues specials custom wound for me, aged wilkinson trem, and a few other special upgrades to make this piece my main strat for the road. } End Quote. I would not even worry about a stamp that no one will ever see. It does sound like you are getting a nice axe built though so enjoy it when you get and share some photos with the forum and let us no how she sounds.

Thomas Jefferson