It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Need advice on using US Excelsior amp in Ireland/UK
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Very strange answer from Fender UK . Are they qualified in electricity ? I guess not as we discussed before about 50 and 60 hz . Or they know some of user like you with usa amp . Are they ?

But I may admit ( it is my opinion ) there is a chance your amp can work well on 50 hz , it is a ty and error .

You have to look if your power transformer do not get to hot . Do you know how hot is normal ? Probably not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:58 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I must admit that before the warning BMW2002Ti I had completely forgotten the relative importance of the frequency (60 -50 Hz) in electric power devices.

Because we never talk we think it does not matter.

For cons, the operation with or without domage your amplifier designed for 60 Hz is in my opinion moot.
Yes, it is better to do the work in 60 hz but that does not mean it will be damaged by the 50 hz

Your amplifier can be designed to be tough enough to support the 50 Hz.

It is up to you to try or not .
_______
Translation with the help of Google

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:12 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Stratrat, It really saddens me to hear the response from that FENDER "rep" in the UK. What you should be able to do is REPLACE your US bought unit with one made for the UK ---straight up. If you look at page 16 of FENDER'S EXCELSIOR OWNERS manual, you will see all the various international models of this amp.

Notice that there are ones specific for the UK and one specific for the US? Notice how they are not only designated by voltages by also Hz? One is 50Hz and the other 60Hz? There are only two amps with 50/60Hz specs. Now, if it didn't make any difference why would FENDER make so many models? I can almost guarantee that the only difference between these models is the PT, plug, and fuse.

You know what may happen? Six months down the road (or when your warranty expires) --- the PT is going to fail. And then you will need to buy that "$$$ PT that is going to cost as much as the amp." Or junk the amp. And that FENDER UK rep won't give a flying bull cookie. Because it'll be on your dime to fix or replace. [Good Lord, this is pissing me off... I wonder what Leo would say about all this?]

You have two choices for any hope for a long lived amp. Get an aftermarket PT that meets the amp's power requirements and can run safely on 50Hz. Then, replace the current PT. Or swap your US model amp for the UK model one. Or let the thing run as is and hope for the best & pray that you've sacrificed enough Tortex picks to the Great Faraday God. :mrgreen:

Sorry, for the rant --- but I've gone round-&-round with ppl taking 60HZ units to Asia and Australia and having the units blow up. And the manufacturers of those units said the same thing --- no problem. Most were HK or Chinese made hi-fi equipment. Bought in the US. So, I chalked it off to sleezy tech support that is common with many of these fly-by-night companies. Sigh....

In any event, good luck with the amp... BTW fuses rarely save an oversaturated PT. Keep the amp in a well ventilated area.

See page 16:

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guita ... _rev-B.pdf

IN QUOTE:

TYPE: PR 2298

PART NUMBERS:

2303010000 (120V, 60Hz)

2303010900 (120V, 60Hz) DS

2303011900 (110V, 60Hz) TW DS

2303013900 (240V, 50Hz) AUS DS

2303014900 (230V, 50Hz) UK DS

2303015900 (220V, 50Hz) ARG DS

2303016900 (230V, 50Hz) EUR DS

2303017900 (100V, 50/60Hz) JPN DS

2303018900 (220V, 50/60Hz) CN DS

2303019900 (220V, 60Hz) ROK DS

POWER REQUIREMENTS: 75 W

INPUT IMPEDANCE: GUITAR: 1MΩ MIC: 200kΩ ACCORDION: 50kΩ

POWER OUTPUT: 13W RMS into 8Ω @ 10%THD

FUSE: F2AL, 250V for 100V–120V versions. F1AL, 250V for 220V–240V versions

TUBES: Two 6V6 Two 12AX7A

SPEAKER: 8Ω, 15", 30W Extension speaker (if used): 8Ω, 15W minimum

DIMENSIONS: HEIGHT: 21 in (53 cm) WIDTH: 19.5 in (48.5 cm) DEPTH: 9 in (23 cm)

WEIGHT: 33 lb (15 kg)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:50 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi BMW2002Ti and stratele52,

I really appreciate the feedback and information provided thus far. I agree that perhaps that is not something that I would have wanted to hear from Fender UK, however, I could have bought a local unit but didn't instead I opted to get on from the US.

Reason being that it was sold with upgraded tubes, JJ and Tung Sol, and including shipping and customs is about the same as a European priced Excelsior Pro with default tubes.

Unfortunately this bit me in more ways that one. Firstly the fact that this power/electricity issue is more complex than I initially thought ( I really should have done my homework better). Secondly that the amp arrived damaged.

I posted details on this in another thread. There is a silver lining though....I did get a full refund for the damage, so essentially got the amp for free...But here I sit now with it broken/damaged and not compliant with our electricity specs.

Now, I did talk to a local amp repair guy today, and he also stated that the 50/60Hz is not an issue with most modern gadgets, depending but he assured me this is not an issue. Secondly he stated along with repairing the amp he can mod it to UK standard.

So there may be hope here yet... If not, I may just end up getting another one locally and try and sell this one if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:55 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

"I did get a full refund for the damage."

Stratrat, I must be missing something. You got a full refund? And got to keep the damaged amp? Sell it, as is. Use the money to buy a proper UK-safe one.

Most "tech experts" don't have a clue about 50/60Hz issue. As noted in the second sentence of the link.

Note how 60HZ trannies are cheaper to make and tend to be borderline to begin with (used in borderline cheaper equipment). Now, where does the Excelsior sit in the current Fender amp line?

Good luck with your amp(s). :D

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/50-60hz.htm#s40

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:38 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Not really sure how much you paid for the amp, but Marcury Magnetics tranny would cost you $180 or less.

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Transformers-s/115.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:34 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks all. The amp tech is going to take a look at the amp next week and will give me a quote on getting the work done on it if it can be fixed.

Will see what to do when I know what the state of play is with the amp.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:46 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thank's for the answer and good luck.