It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 51 RI precision bass pickguard template
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,

I want a gloss black pickguard for my Blonde 51 RI p-bass instead of the matte black one it came with. I can't find one for sale anywhere so I'm having one made. I also want to fit a tugbar however but the pickguard I have doesn't have a pickguard screwhole. Is there a template online I could print out? I don't want to put the tugbar in the wrong place.

I'd also like to fit ashtray bridge and pickup covers. Is there a fitting template for these anywhere? :D :?:

Would be really grateful for some help here.

Post subject: Re: 51 RI precision bass pickguard template
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:53 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I found luthier's plans for a '51 P-bass on ebay recently. It is 1:1 scale plans for building a '51 from scratch and includes tug bar and ashtray locations. I bought for a project I started recently. I may be able to measure where that tug bar is from the edge. The only thing s I am not sure how acurate these plans are to the original. I have been examining pictures of the real deal and refering back to these plans for the tug bar I am placing on my project.

Or if you want to get a copy yourself I am pretty sure they are still on ebay. They are kind of fun to have. After I am done with the projest I might pin them up on the wall for kicks.

There are also original(copy of) patent forms from Clarence Leo Fender's Precision all over the net too. Pretty sure you could study those and get a general idea of where to place the bar. Seen that in some of the books I own also.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:25 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

bass-thing wrote:
Hi,

I want a gloss black pickguard for my Blonde 51 RI p-bass instead of the matte black one it came with. I can't find one for sale anywhere so I'm having one made. I also want to fit a tugbar however but the pickguard I have doesn't have a pickguard screwhole. Is there a template online I could print out? I don't want to put the tugbar in the wrong place.

I'd also like to fit ashtray bridge and pickup covers. Is there a fitting template for these anywhere? :D :?:

Would be really grateful for some help here.

WD Music.

http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_tb_16.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Try WD Music,...they'll make you a custom fit pick guard...they have instructions on how to make a template on their website in the pickguard section...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:38 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

James Coderre wrote:
Try WD Music,...they'll make you a custom fit pick guard...they have instructions on how to make a template on their website in the pickguard section...

Love WD Music! Have been wanting a new pickguard along with their special CTS pots and Sprague tone cap for my hot rod Precision. $112 shipped isn't too shabby. 8)

2012 Rumble 75 Combo - Modified
2013 Rumble 350 + 112 x2
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD