It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: P and J bass pickup combo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:21 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Noob question here. I have seen bass guitars with a combination of P bass neck pickup and J bass bridge pickup. Is this a best of both worlds situation? Or do you get a totally different tone altogether? I love the tone of both the P bass and J bass so it's so hard to choose. Does the combination solve that problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:17 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

A lot of people like the P-J combination as a best of both worlds option (including me). On a passive bass, you often see a volume, volume, tone pot set-up like on a passive J Bass.

Some believe there is a degree of tone bleed over, even with either pickup soloed. I have heard that using a 3 way selector switch like the Duff McKagan bass http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0146500323 can eliminate this. I like P-J basses with or without the switch.

Some advise avoiding too hot of a P pickup in a P-J bass, because the P pickup is naturally louder. Opinions vary on this, but it is something to consider. I personally prefer a vintage style P pickup with a slightly hot J pickup in a P-J bass.

The distance of the J pickup from the bridge also has some impact on tone. The same applies to a J bass (with 2 J pickups). I have been happy with P-J and J basses for years, they are all I have ever needed. You can get a great variety of tones with a decent set-up.

The active P-bass special http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0135760306 is another option, but I have no experience with an active P-J bass. Maybe others can provide insights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:12 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I have P+ J pu combinations on both passive and active basses. The Precision pickup always dominates the Jazz pickup and while these are fine sounding instruments, they are no replacement for the tone of a Jazz bass IMO.

I can see why Leo never embraced this combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:00 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

To me, the P-J is a different animal than a P or J bass. I usually play a Jazz bass. When I need a Precision tone, the P-J nails it with extra tone options I can't get with only a P pickup. If I pull back the P volume and boost the J volume, it offers some unique tone options without having to switch instruments in the middle of a song. As with any electric bass, the quality and characteristics of your pickups make a difference in the quality and flexibility of your sound. Of course, technique and other things have a big influence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:19 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Usually a PJ-styled bass (such as the California/Mexican Deluxe Special [the passive one, not the active], Hot Rodded, Squier Special and Aerodyne models) comes with a side mounted jack.

P-Bass purists simply prefer to have the 3-knob setup with the top mounted jack because this control layout makes for a more familiar look. Hohner and Cort PJ Basses feature the 3 knob/top mount jack setup, a combo many Fender PJ models didn't have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I like a top mounted jack too. I guess its kind of traditional 2nd gen Pbass, but I can see why the side mount jack is so prevalent on these PJ basses, you dont have to drill any new holes into the pickguard.

Post subject: P J Combo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Aside from the Fender hot rodded precision bass (American), did Fender manufacture any other American basses from 1999-2001 with the P-J pickup combo? I've been on ebay trying to determine if a bass is the hot rodded precision that I've been searching for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1050

Also, I've read that SOME hot rodded p-basses have tonal issues... anybody know anything about that? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:29 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I have an MIJ "Jazz Special" fretless (circa 1983) that's a P-J. It does have a pup selector switch (P, J or both) and I've never detected any bleedover with that.

The P-mode is very close, so it serves as my fretless P as well. The J alone isn't a tone I typically use, but it offers some interesting combinations with both on. I also have a J (fretted), so the Jazz Special being weakest in J-alone setting isn't an issue with me.

But if you're going to use only one bass, the P-J should give you a nice variety of tones to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:23 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:25 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:26 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star