It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NGD! Squier VM Jazzmaster
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:42 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Actually I received the guitar from Guitar Center on July 26th. Haven't had time to get around to pictures until now.

I bought a J. Mascus Jazzmaster on July 7th and ended up not caring for the guitar and returned it. You can read about it in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=87505

This guitar is a nice guitar for the price. I like the medium jumbo frets better than the jumbo frets and the bridge is the same style as a vintage Jazzmaster. The only disappointment I have in the guitar is the pick-guard. It is NOT a real tort pick-guard. After I peeled off the protective plastic covering the pick-guard, it looked like there was another plastic cover on there. If you look close at the pictures you can see what looks like bubbles at the pick-guard screws. I took the screws out and the tort is actually a decal of some sort. I removed all the pick-guard screws and pressed down on the tort cover to make them flat. Whenever Spitfire 7 (over at OSG Forum) gets his tort guards finished, I will be one of his first customers.

Otherwise, I am satisfied with the guitar. I did replace the strings with .10s, it came with .9's. It needs setting up (which I am no expert) because I have a little string buzz on the low E and A strings.

Note: The bridge cover is from my 62 Jazzmaster.

In the end, I think I will be keeping this guitar. For a Squire, it ain't too bad.

Thought I'd throw in a shot of my newly finished Super Reverb amp.

Jerry

'62 Jazzmaster/'78 Precision Bass/'88 Fender F250 acoustic/'07 Gibson Less Paul Classic Antique/'12 Squier Strat/'14 Squier VM Jaguar/'15 Classic 60s Telecaster/'68 Showman Reverb/'70 Bandmaster Cabinet JBL D140F speakers/'69 Super Reverb/'12 G-DEC 3-30

Last edited by jmallard on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paramount Series 2017
Post subject: Re: NGD! Squire VM Jazzmaster
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:53 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

jmallard wrote:
The only disappointment I have in the guitar is the pick-guard. It is NOT a real tort pick-guard. After I peeled off the protective plastic covering the pick-guard, it looked like there was another plastic cover on there. If you look close at the pictures you can see what looks like bubbles at the pick-guard screws. I took the screws out and the tort is actually a decal of some sort.

I noticed this some time back when I examined three different Squier Jazz Basses side by side at the same store on the same day -- all three instruments had that tortoise-shell pickguard and upon closer inspection, every one of them had the same "random" color and swirl pattern. Very tacky for an otherwise nice guitar.

:roll:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:28 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Congratulations Jerry, that is one nice looking axe, and a nice looking amp too. As for pickguards, have you checked out Greasy Groove? http://www.greasygroove.com/products.php?cat=742

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

spacewolf wrote:
Congratulations Jerry, that is one nice looking axe, and a nice looking amp too. As for pickguards, have you checked out Greasy Groove? http://www.greasygroove.com/products.php?cat=742

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Jerry

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:07 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Jerry...Sweet guitar! I used to be ambivalent about white, but it has grown on me over the years...and it looks so good on a Jazzmaster!

So how is the quality of the Squier? Pickguard mentioned above not withstanding. I have seen one that I wouldn't mind having...the Jaguar with P90s and the knobs rear mounted (no pickguard). I miss having a guitar with P90s.

T2

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:25 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

T2Stratman wrote:
Jerry...Sweet guitar! I used to be ambivalent about white, but it has grown on me over the years...and it looks so good on a Jazzmaster!

So how is the quality of the Squier? Pickguard mentioned above not withstanding. I have seen one that I wouldn't mind having...the Jaguar with P90s and the knobs rear mounted (no pickguard). I miss having a guitar with P90s.

T2

T2

Well, not that I'm any great judge of the quality of guitars, the Squier (just noticed that I have been misspelling Squier) is a nice guitar. The only thing I can compare it to is my 62 Jazzmaster.

It doesn't feel any heaver, but I haven't weighed either one of them. Of course the medium jumbo frets are different but I like them better than the jumbo frets on the other Squier I had. The neck on this guitar feels smoother than the other Squier and the neck relief seems to be proper. The paint and finish is very nice and the rosewood is darker on this one that the last one (which I like).

I'm not familiar with P90 pick-ups except that I know they are popular. The pick-ups on this Squier state, "Duncan Designed", whatever that means. The guitar sounds nice but I really don't have much playing time on it yet. I definitely like the bridge better than the first Squier. I just wish I knew a good luthier.

For the money and considering that it is not a true "Fender", I think I'm going to be o.k. with it. Like you, I was not much of a fan of white guitars but oddly enough I remember mentioning to Arjay at one point that I might get my 62 refinished and he commented that it would look nice in Olympic White. Well, I got one in Olympic White and I think it looks nice. It will look even better when I get a proper tort pick-guard, but I'm in no hurry.

Jerry

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:42 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

jmallard wrote:
It will look even better when I get a proper tort pick-guard, but I'm in no hurry.

+1

Just bear in mind, a real tortoise-shell guard from Fender is 4-ply......tortoise, white, black, white. On vintage examples, the white is actually mint green celluloid.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:54 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
jmallard wrote:
It will look even better when I get a proper tort pick-guard, but I'm in no hurry.

+1

Just bear in mind, a real tortoise-shell guard from Fender is 4-ply......tortoise, white, black, white. On vintage examples, the white is actually mint green celluloid.

Arjay

Yes, I am aware of that fact.

The problem, when the time comes, will be finding one that will fit properly. Many sellers specifically state that their guards will not fit a Squier. The link that spacewolf provided above has that statement for their Jazzmaster guard.

This guitar is advertised as "Vintage Modified", but only a test fit in the end will determine if it is "vintage" or not. :)

From a distance, this pick-guard does not look too bad. It isn't like I'm going on stage or anything like that :lol:

Jerry

Post subject: Re: NGD! Squier VM Jazzmaster
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Conceivably you could pick up a sheet of proper 4-ply tortoise stock, use your existing pickguard as a template, then cut your own.

Arjay

Post subject: Re: NGD! Squier VM Jazzmaster
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
Conceivably you could pick up a sheet of proper 4-ply tortoise stock, use your existing pickguard as a template, then cut your own.

Arjay

Conceivable, yes, but with my lack of skills in that area plus a lack of the proper tools, I doubt that will be happening. :)

Jerry

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

jmallard wrote:
T2Stratman wrote:

T2

T2

Well, not that I'm any great judge of the quality of guitars, the Squier (just noticed that I have been misspelling Squier) is a nice guitar. The only thing I can compare it to is my 62 Jazzmaster.

It doesn't feel any heaver, but I haven't weighed either one of them. Of course the medium jumbo frets are different but I like them better than the jumbo frets on the other Squier I had. The neck on this guitar feels smoother than the other Squier and the neck relief seems to be proper. The paint and finish is very nice and the rosewood is darker on this one that the last one (which I like).

I'm not familiar with P90 pick-ups except that I know they are popular. The pick-ups on this Squier state, "Duncan Designed", whatever that means. The guitar sounds nice but I really don't have much playing time on it yet. I definitely like the bridge better than the first Squier. I just wish I knew a good luthier.

For the money and considering that it is not a true "Fender", I think I'm going to be o.k. with it. Like you, I was not much of a fan of white guitars but oddly enough I remember mentioning to Arjay at one point that I might get my 62 refinished and he commented that it would look nice in Olympic White. Well, I got one in Olympic White and I think it looks nice. It will look even better when I get a proper tort pick-guard, but I'm in no hurry.

Jerry

Jerry...Thanks for the info. Sounds like it plays well and seems the hardware and frets are good and it came set up well. I may have to check out that P90 equipped Jaguar now.

T2

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

T2Stratman wrote:
Jerry...Thanks for the info. Sounds like it plays well and seems the hardware and frets are good and it came set up well. I may have to check out that P90 equipped Jaguar now.

T2

T2,

You've Very Welcome !

The guitar could stand a set-up but it is o.k. for now.

Jerry

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

jmallard wrote:
The link that spacewolf provided above has that statement for their Jazzmaster guard.
Oops, sorry about that, I didn't mean to send you on a wild goose chase.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

spacewolf wrote:
Oops, sorry about that, I didn't mean to send you on a wild goose chase.

No problem at all. You didn't know.

Jerry

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:49 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

jmallard wrote:
T2Stratman wrote:

T2

T2,

You've Very Welcome !

The guitar could stand a set-up but it is o.k. for now.

Jerry

That is no problem...I don't mind setting up my guitars and to be honest I would rather, it is easier just to do it myself!

T2

T2