It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NGD! JM Jazzmaster
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:15 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

It is the J. Mascus Squire Jazzmaster. I actually bought it at Guitar Center on July 7th, but they were out of stock, so the store manager knocked off another $25.00 after the $50.00 coupon in effect. So, I got it for $325.00. I bought it mainly for the 9.5 neck radius and jumbo frets. Hey, if I don't like it, they will take it back.

It was delivered yesterday, double boxed very well!

Outside Shots

With my 1969 Super Reverb I picked up on July 7th.

I'll report back on how it feels and sounds.

Always a good day when you get a new guitar, even if it isn't USA made !

Jerry

'62 Jazzmaster/'78 Precision Bass/'88 Fender F250 acoustic/'07 Gibson Less Paul Classic Antique/'12 Squier Strat/'14 Squier VM Jaguar/'15 Classic 60s Telecaster/'68 Showman Reverb/'70 Bandmaster Cabinet JBL D140F speakers/'69 Super Reverb/'12 G-DEC 3-30

American Elite Series
Post subject: Re: NGD! JM Jazzmaster
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:53 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Nice guitar. My China made guitar has the best neck of all my guitars. It has the cheapest electronics and tuning pegs, but shows the best craftsmanship. If it was allowed the quality USA parts, it would be game over.

Enjoy.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:31 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I dunno. I love my chinese made jaguar but parts of the fretboard look like they were finished with an axe.

Lovely Jazzmaster, btw.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:02 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

modwiz wrote:
Nice guitar. My China made guitar has the best neck of all my guitars. It has the cheapest electronics and tuning pegs, but shows the best craftsmanship. If it was allowed the quality USA parts, it would be game over.

Enjoy.

The neck on this guitar feels fine as far as shape and finish. Only the last 5 frets toward the body could stand to be filed a little. The neck has Jumbo frets and this is a first for me. No sure how I'm going to like it. It is easy enough to play chords and string bending is very easy, not that I'm proficient at that. Sliding a note up a couple of frets is different.

The strings are pretty high off the neck, so it makes it more difficult to play in that respect. The intontation was spot on but the strings suck and I will change them tomorrow. I am not great a set-up but will give this a try. My 62 Jazzmaster feels completely different, of course. I think this guitar may be a keeper one I get it set up or can find a luthier (none close to me I know of).

The whammy bar is shapped different but I don't use one that much.

Overall, I think the guitar is nice. I do like the white. I wish the Rosewood neck was darker though. I don't like the gold pick-guard and will be looking for a tort pick-guard.

Jerry

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:04 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

DarkPenguin wrote:
I dunno. I love my chinese made jaguar but parts of the fretboard look like they were finished with an axe.

Lovely Jazzmaster, btw.

Thanks.

Except as mentioned above, the neck on this guitar seems just fine. To my old eye, it looks clean and level in between all the frets.

Jerry

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:22 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

jmallard wrote:
DarkPenguin wrote:

Lovely Jazzmaster, btw.

Thanks.

Except as mentioned above, the neck on this guitar seems just fine. To my old eye, it looks clean and level in between all the frets.

Jerry

Oh, the places your fingers go are just fine and the frets are level. It is just a look thing on the edge of the neck way down by the body. (And if you wrap your thumb over you might notice it.) The only playability thing I've had with mine has to do with the nut. Some lubrication took care of that.

Most playable guitar out of the box I've ever owned.

I think yours would look even better with a new pickguard.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:31 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

DarkPenguin wrote:
Oh, the places your fingers go are just fine and the frets are level. It is just a look thing on the edge of the neck way down by the body. (And if you wrap your thumb over you might notice it.) The only playability thing I've had with mine has to do with the nut. Some lubrication took care of that.

Most playable guitar out of the box I've ever owned.

I think yours would look even better with a new pickguard.

Nothing looks out of place on my neck down by the body. As I mentioned in prior post, the last 5 frets or so could stand a little filing, I think it is called "camfering".

After putting new strings on and lowering the bridge, this one plays a lot better.

I do want to put a tort pickguard on it. I've heard an AVRI pickguard will fit but haven't been able to find one yet.

Jerry

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I ended up taking the JM Jazzmaster back to Guitar Center for a refund.

It just didn't work out for me. The guitar was o.k., but the jumbo frets is one of the things I could not get used to. I played the guitar every day for an hour or longer and I just don't like those high frets. I believe a lot of players like the jumbo frets, but this was my first experience with them and I just don't like the feel.

The guitar was in perfect intonation and the neck relief was perfect. Strings were too high and I got the E - A - D strings to a comfortable height, but I could not get the G - B - E strings to go low enough. The bridge (I don't know what kind it is) bottomed out so the strings would not go any lower. The 3 way switch failed on me once but came back to life. So, I decided not to keep it.

I did go ahead and order the regular Squire Jazzmaster. This one has a different bridge and has the tort pickguard I want. I will post pics when I receive this one.

Jerry

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:45 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Received my new Squire VM Jazzmaster last week. If you want, you can read about it here.
http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=88125

Jerry

'62 Jazzmaster/'78 Precision Bass/'88 Fender F250 acoustic/'07 Gibson Less Paul Classic Antique/'12 Squier Strat/'14 Squier VM Jaguar/'15 Classic 60s Telecaster/'68 Showman Reverb/'70 Bandmaster Cabinet JBL D140F speakers/'69 Super Reverb/'12 G-DEC 3-30