It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Interpreting specs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello guys,

while comparing the Squier Vintage modified with the Fender 72' classic Custom Tele specs i I wonder:

1. if there is the difference between the "Wide Range Humbucking" of the Squier and the "Fender® "Wide Range" Humbucking" neck pickup of the Fender. Same tech specs just a different name?

2. What is the difference between "medium-jumbo" and "vintage-size" fret?

3. Did i get right that the neck of the squier is thicker than the fender one?

Thank you so much in advance for your feedback & sorry for my bad english.

Best regards from Germany
Sascha

Post subject: Re: Interpreting specs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

cant help you with the pickup query, sorry. I have a fender 72 custom tele. your English is fine.

vintage frets are smaller, they are not as tall as medium jumbo frets. this is very noticeable when you try them side by side. personally, for playing chords I think the vintage frets are perfect, they are easier to play. however for playing lead work bigger frets can help, though certainly not necessary. a vintage fret is the smallest you can get. I don't know what frets go up to though, at least jumbo. medium jumbo is the modern standard I think.

as for the neck size, you cant tell from the fender specs. they are listed as the same 'C' shape. the neck radius is different. the squier has a flatter, more modern radius which is easier for string bending. the fender has a vintage correct radius, which is more curved. again, this lends itself to a better feel when chording.

as for neck thickness, coming from the point of view of my 2002 Mexican 72 custom telecaster, ive not played a thicker neck, and I doubt there are many out there. its very thick. I would be VERY surprised if the squier neck is as thick as the fender one. you will have to try them to find which you like, but I would expect the squier to feel more like a normal std telecaster.

the point of the squier vintage modified series is to give the looks of a classic model, but with modern playability. the larger frets and flatter neck radius are what provide the modern feel, as well as the (probably) slimmer neck.

what makes you think the squier neck is thicker ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks moochy,

your answers a very helpful.

Because of the smaller radius i thought the neck is thinner.

The complete story that caused my questions:

I already own a squier vintage modified, but do not dig the neck. Obviously it is a jazzmaster neck.

Some days ago i played the telebration telecaster 75' in a guitar shop in my hometown.

see specs: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0170147-LIST

I really love the sound of that guitar and the neck felt also just perfect to me (it is the custom neck). Wide Range Humbucker with a 62' single coil... WOW!

There is one thing i absolutely dislike about it: the look.

Because of the fact that in the case of a electric guitar i do believe more in electricity then in wood i don't care as much about the wood of the body so I would like to find a guitar which combines the neck of the telebration with the wide range humbucker neck and the 62' single coil bridge pick up.

Is in this case the Vintage 72' custom the right choice? What do you think?

Upgrading any fender/squier telecaster could be also an option, as i read that there's already a place for a neck wide range humbucker in every telecaster behind the pickguard (is that right?).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:06 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

the telebration has the same frets and radius as the 72 custom, so it will feel very similar. however the telebration is listed as a 'modern c' shape neck, while from what I can gather online the 72 custom has a 'chunky c' shape neck.

my custom is a 2002 and the neck is definitely NOT a modern C, as I said its very chunky. whether its still the same with current Mexican ones I don't know, I could only assume yes.

so from what you've said, and depending on if you like the fatter neck of the 72 custom, it would be the guitar for you.

however also consider the pickups in the telebration you played are not the same as in the Mexican 72 custom. the telebration pickups are 'better', likely from the custom shop range.

until recently there was an American made 72 custom telecaster, which will have had better pickups, possibly even the same as the telebration ones. however they dont make them anymore, so you'd need to find a used one.

ultimately, you will need to try the Mexican 72. to get a feel of the neck, but also to decide if youre happy with the pickups. on mine I think the bridge pickup is a little weak, but I love the humbucker.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you!

so c-shape is not c-shape? alright it's getting complicated.

Upgrading the Tele 72 MIM with a 62' pick up and a hand wound Wide magnet range humbucker (for example form thecreamery shop) is maybe an option i did not think about yet. I'll test the the 72. let's see if i like the neck.

I guess the decision to make is: taking a to me perfect fitting and sounding "ugly" one or investing in upgrading in something i love to look at. :)

Reminds me somehow of my relationships with women. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:31 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

yes although c is the shape, I guess they can have different thicknesses. confuses me aswell.

if you like the neck thickness on the 72 custom, it would be simpler to upgrade the pickups in that, and would then be pretty much exactly what you want judging by your comments. it would be what I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:44 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Lets see if I can shed some light on the neck questions - at least on how to read the specs, if not on the specific guitars in question.

First off lets talk about the shape. Moochy13 is right - not all C-shapes are the same. The "C" refers to the basic cross-section of the neck - if you were to cut the neck off at say the 5th fret it would look somewhat like a "C". Same with the other shapes like a "V", "U" or a "D".

The basic shape has nothing to do with the thickness of the neck or how that thickness changes as you move from the 1st fret toward the heel of the neck. When you see "modern C" that generally means it does not have a lot of "taper" - and "taper" is the increase in thickness as you move toward the neck heel. While Fender doesn't release their neck specs, you can expect a "modern C" to be a shape that increases from about .820" or so at the 1st fret to about .880" or so at the 12th fret. A "vintage C" is going to have more of an increase as you move from the 1st to the 12 fret - probably something more like going from .820" at the 1st fret to .950" at the 12th fret - getting noticably more fat than the "modern C". If you see something like "chunky C" expect it to be thicker all the way down than what I listed for a "vintage C", maybe more like .850" or thicker at the 1st and getting closer to .980" thick at the 12th fret.

Radius is another thing all together - it has nothing to do with the shape or depth of the back of the neck, it is the curvature of the fingerboard. Think of the fingerboard as an arc that is part of a circle drawn to the stated radius. Therefore a guitar with a 7.25" radius is going to have a rounder fingerboard than a guitar with a 9.5" radius.

Keef_Vintage - while there is one of those '75 Tele Custom Telebration models hanging up at my local GC I haven't tried it out; if it says it has a "modern C" neck then expect it to have a somewhat thinner neck than the '72 Reissue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:17 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Guys thank you so much so far.

As long as i get great quality answers i will carry on questioning. ;)

The config of the 75' telebration was a 62' single coil with the wide range humbucker.

Is it possible to take a classic telecaster with the 62' single coil and put a WRH as the neck pick up ( i heard under the pickguard there is place for the WRH)?

If it is possible to modify the guitar like that, is there any need of balance both pick ups to each other or are they already set up for each other and match automatically?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Keef_Vintage wrote:
Guys thank you so much so far.

As long as i get great quality answers i will carry on questioning. ;)

The config of the 75' telebration was a 62' single coil with the wide range humbucker.

Is it possible to take a classic telecaster with the 62' single coil and put a WRH as the neck pick up ( i heard under the pickguard there is place for the WRH)?

If it is possible to modify the guitar like that, is there any need of balance both pick ups to each other or are they already set up for each other and match automatically?

I'm sorry - what exactly do you mean when you say a "classic telecaster"? Do you mean like and MIM Standard or an American Standard? I do know that the American Standard body is routed for a humbucker in the neck position but I believe the route is sized for a normal humbucker. The WRHs are slightly larger than a normal humbucker. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the size of the rout. I'm not sure how the MIM Standards are routed under the pickguard.

I can say that a reissue-type Tele would be routed for a neck single coil to keep them to vintage specs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:14 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

@ John C:

My idea right now is combining a thick necked Tele with a wrh neck humbucker and the 62' single coil bridge pick up.

As i got the info that there is place under the MIM/MIA Standard i thought i look for a model that already hosts the 62' single coil pick up to make the upgrading easier.

But you could definetly be right. The wrh could be too big. If this is the case... mmmh.