It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: USA Power Telecaster
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:12 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Good morning all. I recently purchased a 2001 USA Power Telecaster but did not receive an owners manual. I down loaded a manual from Fender.com but have not found an addendum as yet for the Power Tele. Anyone have one they could scan and provide me with? Also, I received the stereo cable for the guitar but I have not been able to make it work as yet. I did have it connected to two amps and nothing. Am I missing something (I would not doubt that). Thanks,

Post subject: Re: USA Power Telecaster
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Hi and welcome,
Manuals can be found via the Fender Support section above. Here's a link I found by searching http://support.fender.com/service_diagr ... C_SISD.pdf
As to the stereo cord, have you tried a regular cord and if so, do all of the pups work?
How's the battery?
best,
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:17 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Fishman Powerbridge has a special onboard mid boost preamp which requires a battery to function.

Using a stereo cable will reduce the chances for the battery to drain so fast giving you the ability to send the signal from the magnetic and piezo pickups into two different amps.

From what I see you're able to use the magnetic pickups but unable to use the Powerbridge.

You've certainly got a bad ground wiring issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the info guys. I can use a regular cable and all pick ups including the piezos seem to be working. I did install a new battery before I used the guitar. I'll keep checking things. This is my first Tele and so far I love it. Maybe more guitar than I need but what the heck, eh? Thank again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Redtoppicker wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. I can use a regular cable and all pick ups including the piezos seem to be working. I did install a new battery before I used the guitar. I'll keep checking things. This is my first Tele and so far I love it. Maybe more guitar than I need but what the heck, eh? Thank again.

You're welcome! Sounds like the stereo cable is at fault. Can you check it for continuity?

I have a Nashville power deluxe tele (3 pups and the fishman bridge) and if the battery goes dead, nothing works; also, it makes no difference whether I use a stereo or a regular cable - both are equally efficient at draining the battery.
I made a new stereo cable for my guitar using a stereo cable with a male stereo jack at the one end and 2 female mono jacks at the other...I then used 2 regular guitar cables to go into the 2 amplifiers. it worked well, but you have more things flopping about and potentially coming apart. Definitely not recommended for live shows :wink:

Congrats on the new guitar....sounds like a great one 8)
cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Only the piezo pickup stops working when the battery dies.

The Vintage Noiseless pickups are hooked into a passive tone circuit, you can still them even if the piezos are not working.

The active electronics affect the Fishman Powerbridge, not the magnetic pickups.

Unlike the American Deluxe the MIM Nashville Power Tele lacks off an active circuit for the piezos.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:29 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Redtoppicker wrote:

You can replace the neck pickup with a splittable chrome-covered humbucker if you want more tonal options.

In that case you must swap the stock pickguard with a replacement routed for a neck humbucker.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:33 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

chromeface wrote:
Only the piezo pickup stops working when the battery dies.

The Vintage Noiseless pickups are hooked into a passive tone circuit, you can still them even if the piezos are not working.

The active electronics affect the Fishman Powerbridge, not the magnetic pickups.

Unlike the American Deluxe the MIM Nashville Power Tele lacks off an active circuit for the piezos.

Interesting...thanks for the clarification as to the differences between the two guitars. If I was handy at electronics I would see if I could modify my tele such that the magnetic pups would still work if the battery was dead.
cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The American Deluxe version was shortlived as it lasted only a year or two.

This guitar had also a "rumble-cut" switch on the back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:12 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Once again, thanks all for the advice. I actually have a USA Nashville Deluxe Power Telecaster w/ 3 PuPs and Fishman bridge. So, my regular lead player took my guitar to "tune up" the intonation and he found that apparently someone at some time had tightened the cable jack and it must have twisted a bit and wires were actually touching. He fixed it and now the stereo Y cable works excellent as is my guiitar's intonation. What a guy. Everyone stay safe and thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:37 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Redtoppicker wrote:
Once again, thanks all for the advice. I actually have a USA Nashville Deluxe Power Telecaster w/ 3 PuPs and Fishman bridge. So, my regular lead player took my guitar to "tune up" the intonation and he found that apparently someone at some time had tightened the cable jack and it must have twisted a bit and wires were actually touching. He fixed it and now the stereo Y cable works excellent as is my guiitar's intonation. What a guy. Everyone stay safe and thanks again.

Wow - that is one of the "rarest of the rare" when it comes to American Deluxe Teles. Fender only made the American Deluxe Tele in the Nashville configuration for about a year - from the model's introduction in March 1998 (as a replacement for the Tele Plus v.2 which was also a "Nashville" configuration but with Lace Sensors) until sometime in 1999. I know that by mid-year Fender had gone back to the 2-pickup configuration on American Deluxe Teles as I had a mid-year Frontline from 1999, but I wound up not picking up the January 1999 Frontline so I don't know when that change happened.

At any rate, USA Power Teles are pretty uncommon to begin with - for quite a while I thought that they didn't come out until after Fender had dropped the Nashville configuration, but your's is either the second or third Nashville Power Tele that's popped up here on the site in the past 3 years or so - very rare indeed.

Glad you've got it up and operating; enjoy your rare bird!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:37 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

@John C

I'm curious about the so-called "rumble-cut" switch on the USA Power Tele. How it works?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface wrote:
@John C

I'm curious about the so-called "rumble-cut" switch on the USA Power Tele. How it works?

Chromeface - I'm not sure; I've only seen 1 of these in person and didn't get to play it. It belonged to a sales guy at one of the Fender dealers where I used to live and he was demoing it.

Have you tried searching for info under Fishman instead of Fender? You might be able to find a manual or something that way that would explain the controls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thanks for the info, John.

Personally I wish a return of the Fishman Powerbridge as an option for the post-2010 Deluxes together with the choice of either a Nashville configuration (N3 Strat pickup in the middle) with 7-way switching or an SH setup with a chrome-covered Enforcer humbucker in the neck and a 5-way super switch - all combined with the S1 system - in the form of a Factory Special Run.

These options could make the American Deluxe Tele more versatile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:57 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I haven't been able to find the actual manual anywhere. I just picked one of these up used and am hoping to locate a manual. Can someone post a direct link if it exists? Thanks very much.