It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2012 standard tele vs. baja tele
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I was just looking for some advice or some suggestions as I am looking to buy a new guitar and first tele (I've owned HSS strats for the longest time) and came across the baja and the 2012 standard tele. I'm curious because it looks like the baja has the same pickups and is also made of ash (and additional charge on the American standard) and I'm wondering if it has any downsides to it. I mainly need a really solid playing guitar with amazing intonation and tuning (as when I play live with my lonestar strat I get really mad because it seems to have tuning issues). Any advice?

Post subject: Re: 2012 standard tele vs. baja tele
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:50 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The only differences between the two are the 4-way selector and the S-1 switch.

To upgrade the 2012 USA Standard with the Baja features you'll need these components:

However if you're unsure how to perform the Baja upgrade on the 2012 USA Standard a professional luthier can do the job in your place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:39 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

what about playabilty wise, quality of the hardware/bridge etc. Would you consider the baja tele as inferior to the American tele?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:23 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

I myself, don't feel or hear as broad of a difference between the different series of telecasters as I do between the different strat series. I don't believe that tele's have had as much changes/upgrades over the years. If I were to distinguish 1 model in particular with a significant difference, it'd be the nashville tele. The extra (middle) strat pick up and 5-way switching offers more sound options and versatility.

I settled on a classic series 50's tele (also with ash body).

Last edited by RRR on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:45 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

To be perfectly frank, I think the six saddle bridge to be one of the worst things to ever appear on a tele. They just sound plain wrong.
That said there is a world of difference between magnetic and non-magnetic bridges. You get a load more zing from a non magnetic bridge.
Then you need to consider saddles. I really like brass and not a lot else.

As for intonation. It is possible to correctly intonate a 3 saddle bridge. But is extremely difficult. It involves intonating at the nut to suit the lack of offset at the saddles.
Like so

Possibly the best thing I did with my Baja was to fit a Joe Barden bridge and saddles.

From this

To this

Now it intonates perfectly and actually sounds and looks like a Telecaster.
The bridge took me 18 minutes to remove the old one, fit the new one, new strings and intonate. Costing £60. Opposed to an hour wiring and £150 on pickups and hard to find switches. And still have to put up with a 6 saddle bridge.
I did try one once
It's a no brainer decision, as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

nikininja wrote:
To be perfectly frank, I think the six saddle bridge to be one of the worst things to ever appear on a tele. They just sound plain wrong.
That said there is a world of difference between magnetic and non-magnetic bridges. You get a load more zing from a non magnetic bridge.
Then you need to consider saddles. I really like brass and not a lot else.

As for intonation. It is possible to correctly intonate a 3 saddle bridge. But is extremely difficult. It involves intonating at the nut to suit the lack of offset at the saddles.
Like so

Possibly the best thing I did with my Baja was to fit a Joe Barden bridge and saddles.

From this

To this

Now it intonates perfectly and actually sounds and looks like a Telecaster.
The bridge took me 18 minutes to remove the old one, fit the new one, new strings and intonate. Costing £60. Opposed to an hour wiring and £150 on pickups and hard to find switches. And still have to put up with a 6 saddle bridge.
I did try one once
It's a no brainer decision, as far as I'm concerned.

+1 Niki...I am with ya on the tele bridge, Leo got the tele bridge right the first time. And if done right you sure can intonate that three piece bridge! Nice photos by the way, just curious if the cigarette is a tone secret of yours?

I would go with a Baja over and MIA Standard any day of the week. I also, don't like the lack of the lip all the way around on the MIA Standard...no place to rest your hand and do any type of chicken picken!

T2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:49 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thankyou all for your posts and help, and I went with some of the advice but settled on a different guitar. You were very right about the 6 saddle bride, it just didnt speak to me. I walked away with an american special tele in suburst and it really sounds amazing, it has the vintage three saddle bridge. Thanks again for all the help, I'm very happy with my new purchase!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:55 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

dan.brad1 wrote:
I'm very happy with my new purchase!

Thats the important thing! 8)

T2. The cig is a bit of a tone secret. In that it's an emergency ration. Allowing me not to worry and therefore play better.

Infact I can promise you that I'm going to thrash the arse end out of that guitar today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

lmfao love the cig :mrgreen: